• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Stealth in 6.5 - First impressions

CBryars2

Minuteman
Feb 22, 2017
Savage Stealth in 6.5 - First impressions. 06/13/2016

This is a reporting from previous Snipers Hide - Reposted to allow information sharing.

Original Post 1

Picked up my BA Stealth yesterday, cleaned and lubed, ran ammo through chamber, a few fed issues, these smoothed as action worked more. Issue on 10 round magazine, fit too tight with 10 rounds. Ruger PR and my Magpul 20 round magazines for DPMS 308 do not fit. MDT has reasonable priced clips, but with 10 round issue I will probably try Magpul AICS compatible.

Over all fit and finish was excellent. Chassis is 1 piece and there are no seems. Balance is right before mag well. They even put grooves to make barricade shooting not slide. Looks like a Porsche. What does come across is the stock being homely. It is a FAB recoil reducing stock, I have on a few of my rifles and it works well. May swap for a Luth-AR stock if the FAB doesn't work for me. My rear bag will take some getting used to on the stock, may need larger.

Magpul M-loc rails work perfectly (not included with rifle, I use an Atlas Bi-pod so I needed them). There is also a stud for sling or Harris style bi-pod.

Original Post 2

So some more impressions. From the barrel to the castle nut, the rifle is very nice. The Chassis is 1 piece, where as the RPR is 2 pieces, not sure that really matters much. Weight is about 2 pounds less than RPR. Trigger is nice, accu-triggers seem to have a good following of those who like them.

The stock is an Israeli made FAB G-Shock. Trying to like it, but it probably will be replaced by a Luth-AR or Magpul. Need a approx 45 buck adapter + buffer tube to swap out. It is stable, and as some have reported, very stiff to adjust. Biggest issue is you have the same 6 position as an AR carbine. Also cheek piece is a little short for eye relief. Using a Larue so 1.5" high. If I was not so wedded to my scope sharing on 3 rifles, I'd go with lower rings to get closer to the bore.

Mounted a m-lok 5" rail with swivel adapter. The Stealth has a swivel that can be removed and the existing hole works as front mount hole. Can confirm monolithic comment from above - no seams.

Shot 40 rounds at 100. Did not bother with pictures, will take some tomorrow at the 200 & 600 scoring computer screen. The RSO is a friend, he shot rifle using 140 ELD-match, had a nice clover leaf. Tried my std load for RPR turned down 2 gr h4350 to start. Was not impressed. Factory showed potential at approx 1 moa (3 1/2 MOA then 2 widing out). Berger 130's did extremely well for a starting point 40.5 gr. H4350. Set at 2.16 to Olgive. Rifle appears to have 2.24 measured at Olgive before hitting lands (did I get the terminology right). Sub-MOA. Will take start shooting 41, 41.5, etc to find sweet spot. Then work on seating length. Son usually shoots 300 Win Mag. He shot the rifle and was sub-MOA.

Remembering it took over 100 rounds to get RPR to .4-.5 MOA I will reserve final judgement until after 100+ rounds.

Price point on Gun Broker shows them selling between 950 - 1000. So if you can't get a hold of an RPR or need a less expensive option, the Stealth is showing some promise.

Original Post 3

Went to Talladega, focused on 200 yd. Will try and post pictures tomorrow. Shot 140 on 14 shots - total shot 50 rounds Savage Stealth and about 30 300 Win Mag. Wife shot 50 through her RPR - she did well also with her last 10 shot scoring 100. Need to check pictures to count x's. Wind was 10 mph and shifting. Need work on my wind calling ability.

Had a scope issue on 300 win mag so it used up more time than planned. Son shooting his 300 Win Mag really improved, shooting in the high 90's.

So the update - the rifle is solid, the factory 140 ELD-match did well. The star of the day was the Berger 130 OTM's. Will work up some loads to shoot 100 yards on Monday (have jury duty so hoping not to get called). Have 300 ELD-match to reload, will see how they do. Between the 2
I have little doubt of a solid sub-MOA load.

The stock is a disappointment. Ordered the adapter for fixed length, it hopefully will arrive next week. Will try the PRS Magpul and the Luth-AR. Why disappointing: I have a Bushnell 4.5 - 30 xrs (i believe, scope is downstairs). Using a Larue QD mount. At max rise on cheek rest I was about 1/4" low for good alignment. Cheek rest moves with length, so not only does it not go high enough, it's short length pushes me to the very front of the rest. It may work for others with different scope mounts but for me, a no go.

The other negative - scope rail is not a 20 MOA. All my bolt rifles have 20 moa. Not a big issue but will swap-out as soon as I can find the proper replacement. Savage was not listing rifle last I checked, so information is mainly from a few people on different forums. Rail is an EGW so I will email them.

At 400 below RPR you get a good chassis, barrel and action. Figure you have to invest another 250-300 on rail and stock with adapter. Still a little cheaper than RPR but not much. Also RPR 18008 now has a break, so that makes it almost break even.

My wife shot Savage, did not like recoil. Our range officer in Talladaga was John (super guy, helped with my scope malfunction and showed my lots of new items + plus had his 2 customs out shooting along with us). He shot the Savage and liked it.

Is it a RPR killer - no way. Is it a good rifle - yes, so far. Jury will be out until lots of people are shooting it and we determine how well it does long term and see how Savage stands behind it. We know Ruger is standing behind the RPR.

The RPR had lots of issues in .308 and less so the .243, only time will tell if the Savage line fairs any better or not. The introduction of 300 Win Mag and 338 Lapua will make the Savage a force in the future (if RPR comes out long action as predicted, that will be exciting).

Bottom line - in my family we have both, and like both. Like everything else it comes down to personal preferences - beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

PS - the RSO let me try his AICS mag - worked perfectly. Will have to pick several up.

Here is testing loads at 100 yd indoor range. This is Hornady ELD-Match 140 gr with H4350 41gr with bullet set to 2.186 to ogive (or olgive if you prefer). .79 MOA

Original Post 4

Now for a few more updates:

The stock was driving me nuts, so I jumped in with both feet and switched out with rifle buffer tube and put a Luth-AR stock on with cheek pad. It feels so much better and cheek weld is far more repeatable. Word of caution, the Chassis is MDT, the buffer tube is Drake. I was floored by how tight it was to get off. I mounted new stock without adapter from MDT. It is on order and will mount once it arrives.

Correction - "It seems to use combined military and commercial sizing and threads" is incorrect. It is a std buffer. Remounted buffer using MDT fixed stock adapter. Initial investigation was wrong. There appears to be a set screw below where the buffer tube screws in that must be loosened. I cannot find any confirmation on that set screw, not in manual. New buffer arriving in a week, will redo and post picture.

I will repost relevant post as time permits

Update:

Just got back from Talladega. No pictures to post. What was interesting was My wife and I were testing some loads using a Magnetospeed. My std load is 40 gr H4350 using an Berger OTM 130 in Hornady brass. I had estimated a 2500 fps based on load data, actual was 2620 fps avg. Used Lapua brass and got another 60 fps avg same load using my 6.5 Stealth. Tested from 39 - 42 gr with 42's over 2700 fps. Up to 41 velocity increased, but at 41 & 42 seemed to level off.

Wife using RPR with 41.5 gr H4350 got 2681 fps.

Both shot well. She also tested Berger OTM 130 with good results. When we run out of 140 ELD-M we will std on Berger OTM 130.

From Savage - those wanting 6.5 Stealth LH the wait is over.

Savage announced left-hand versions of its popular Stealth chassis rifle chambered in popular long-range calibers. The lineup expanded to include .223.

This seems to be the only factory option for us lefties.
I am considering this but will wait till spring in case any other manufacturers provide something.
If not, I'll have my first Savage rifle.

Well, I did not wait till spring.
Picked up an Athlon Cronus 4.5x29 on that Cabelas sale, super nice scope.

Took to the range today to zero the scope. Used America Eagle 140 gr OTM.
So far, best 3 shot group was 3/8" on round count of 24,25 and 26.
1/2" 3 shot group on round count 27,28 and 29.
Another 1/2" 3 shot group on round count 30,31 and 32. Best I have ever shot with any rifle, so I quit for the day on a high note.
Not to bad for a brand new rifle.

Not to sure I like the stock magazine as loading rounds is not smooth at all.
I will order a Magul on Black Friday, as well as bullets, brass and dies to do some reloads.