• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage Style Barrel Nut on a Howa?

firestorm1284

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2010
Wisconsin
If you can't tell, I'm interested in doing some work on Howa's! I'm fairly new to machining, and the chambering process on a barrel blank is fairly intimidating. I'd like to rebarrel a Howa, but it's crazy expensive since they use metric threads.

I have a decent lathe, and I was wondering if I could make a barrel nut similar to the ones used on the savages. I would either re-cut the action to accept savage threads (if there is room), and use a standard Savage barrel nut; or if there is not room, I would order up a barrel with the Howa metric threads and make my own barrel nut.

Is this a reasonable thing to do?

Re: Savage Style Barrel Nut on a Howa?

I had already done some research, but couldn't find anything. I actually just stumbled onto Roedale's barrel section - where it looks like they have done EXACTLY what I was thinking of. If only the US dollar was worth anything. 600 Euro is about 865 bucks right now!

http://www.webshop.roedale.de/product_info.php?info=p448_Custom-Made-Select-Match-Grade-Barrels.html

I guess I'll have to try to do this on my own somehow...

Pete - if you see this, do you sell your barrel nuts by themselves? Do they use the standard Savage wrenches, or your own proprietary one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firestorm1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to rebarrel a Howa, but it's crazy expensive since they use metric threads.
</div></div>

PTG sells a "Howa Inch Conversion Tap Mandrel" piloted tap that will take the action to 1.040", 16 tpi.

I picked one up several years ago and have never used it - if you're interested drop me a note.

It's interesting seeing a number of different comments about metric threads. Is it common for lathes in the US not to be able to cut a metric thread or do people just not like doing it? The thread form is the same, it's only the pitch that's different (except for whitworth with their 55 degree for whatever reason.)

I've got a Colchester lathe and it does both but the handwheels are imperial. I work in metric and imperial, I've done engines for a long time and I work in inches for that stuff but most parts I make from scratch I use metric, it's so nice to work in.

Jim at Northland Shooter's Supply has a barrel nut system for Rem 700 actions, so I'm sure it can be done for about anything.

Right, I saw that it WAS done at Roedale after I posted this. It actually looked very sharp I thought. I really like the barrel nut idea, it would make me love my Howa's even that much more.

Fireball - how much would you want for that PTG tool?

Greg - here in the US, a LOT of lathes are old lathes. The new Chinese jobs are capable of metric threads, but the old machines are better.

Fortunately/Unfortunately, I DO have a chinese lathe. It's a 12x36 made by Enco. It will cut metric threads, but I got it used, so I don't know if I have all the change gears. Do you happen to know the thread pitch and diameter for the Howa actions? I'm trying to figure out if I can modify a Savage barrel nut to work on a Howa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firestorm1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fireball - how much would you want for that PTG tool?</div></div>

$100 shipped, I'd think it would make the barrel nut fabrication a bit easier too(although you could probably just call the girls at PTG and order the barrel nuts ready to go - I believe they make them for Pac-Nor's Remington conversion, probably wouldn't be much).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firestorm1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Do you happen to know the thread pitch and diameter for the Howa actions? </div></div>

M26-1.5 by my notes.

I all ready did this

IMAG0178.jpg

It is a 20 vartarg

AWESOME Sinarms! It's hard to see your barrel nut. are there grooves in it for an action wrench? Do you sell these nuts?

No grooves, it uses a spanner wrench with a hole in the bottom. Here is a pic of a CZ I did the same way. I have done it that way for Remingtons and Mod70's too.

DSCF1242.jpg

DSCF1246.jpg