• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage switch barrel

john roland

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2010
I am sure this subject as been brought up before, but I would like to get all of your input on a savage switch barrel rig I am about to start. The calibers I am looking at on this switch barrel are a 260, 7 r saum, and a 338 edge. The action I am looking at using is a 110, not a 110BA, that has been reamed out for the large shank barrels. I have been told that the normal 110 action is not strong enough for the 7 r saum and the 338 edge by some, and others have told me they haven't had any problems with them. Please, any help or advise on this will be greatly appreciated.

i would assume that the 110fcp action chambered in 338 lapua would be beefy enough for what u want to do with it... the 338 has a bigger recoil lug too compared to the win mag. if u can get to a sportsman's warehouse side by side compare the win mag and lapua they are slightly different (long) actions. seems to me like a complicated build for switching all those calibers and bolt heads and two of which are short actions which u wouldn't have so it kinda defeats the purpose.

i would assume that the 110fcp action chambered in 338 lapua would be beefy enough for what u want to do with it... the 338 has a bigger recoil lug too compared to the win mag. if u can get to a sportsman's warehouse side by side compare the win mag and lapua they are slightly different (long) actions. seems to me like a complicated build for switching all those calibers and bolt heads and two of which are short actions which u wouldn't have so it kinda defeats the purpose.

I am going to use a 110fcp action , use the bigger recoil lug, change out the barrel, and bottom metal when changing from the short action to the long action. I feel it would be better to have 1 great scope, 1 great stock, and 1 great action, with many great barrels. My question is there any difference between any of the 110 actions.

Last edited:
I have two 338 edge "small" shank savages in service and another one under construction.
Have well over a 1K threw the first one................ whoever tells you you need a large shank for the edge is simply mistaken.
Whoever tells you a standard 110 savage isn't strong enough for a 338 edge is flat out full of it.

Last edited:
I have two 338 edge "small" shank savages in service and another one under construction.
Have well over a 1K threw the first one................ whoever tells you you need a large shank for the edge is simply mistaken.
Whoever tells you a standard 110 savage isn't strong enough for a 338 edge is flat out full of it.

Bingo.

It was either the SAUMs or WSMs that were large shank, but I can't remember which. Small shanks are significantly easier to get takeoff and prefit barrels for.

I am going to use a 110fcp action , use the bigger recoil lug, change out the barrel, and bottom metal when changing from the short action to the long action.

You can fit a (specific model CDI) Savage short action DBM on a long action, but you can't fit a long action DBM on a short action.

Thanks for all of the input. I have just picked up a donor action and start this project.