• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage tactical choate .308?

cf3go

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2011
Colgate, WI
I was just at Cabelas and they had a savage tactical with choate stock and 26" heavy barrel. I cant find any info on this rifle. Anybody know anything about this gun? I can get it for 675.00, does not seem like a bad price. Any help is much appreciated.

Re: savage tactical choate .308?

I got that same gun for my frist rifle. Had 24" barrel tough. Snag it up, it's a great rile for a great price. I'd get it out to 1000yd without a problem.

Thanks for the reply! probably going to pick it up sunday. I have not seen one with a 26" barrel. do you recall what twist yours had?

I picked one up at Cabelas a few years back. The Choate is a decent no nonsense stock. I can honsetly say that this Savage was a real pain in the rear to get to shoot, I nearly gave up on it but finally found a load it would shoot. I quickly bobbed the 26" barrel back to 20" and installed a Badger Thruster brake.

RiflesonConcrete.jpg

I've got a Choate on my Savage and I was really surprised when I marked it to see if it was making contact with the entire bedding block, which is was making contact the entire length of the block on both sides. I did a skim bedding job on it, mostly for experience at doing them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, but I think I would want to shorten the barrel as well. Goodluck

I am going to shoot it for a while, then have the barrel cut down and threaded for a brake. Whats the negative to having a 26" barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

RiflesonConcrete.jpg
</div></div>

gun p0rn! EEK!

confused0042.gif

there is nothing negative about a 26" barrel unless you're not strong enough to carry the extra few onces or in confined quarters and need a shorter barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seanh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there is nothing negative about a 26" barrel unless you're not strong enough to carry the extra few onces or in confined quarters and need a shorter barrel. </div></div>

Or you've got a can attached to the front and don't want effectively 34"+ of barrel.

Here's mine, it loves federal gold medal 168's, which is nice because I've got about a case and half of it left, with a case of 175s as well
grin.gif

WP_000106.jpg

Some targets
100 yds, 3 shot check zero group, previously had been shooting 180gr tt ammo, this is getting back to fgm 168s.
WP_000163.jpg

200 yards, 1st shot is lower right, 2 clicks up, then shot the next 4. Again fgm 168s
WP_000166.jpg

WP_000165.jpg

630 yard group, stats on pic are calibrated for 600 yards, thus, are off. This is with 180gr trophy bonded tip hunting ammo
600yard180grtbt.jpg

On the best of occasions it has shot .3-.5, with fgm 168s, on bad days .7-.75, normally hovering around .5-.6. The 180gr TT shot, at times 1 1/2moa, but then at times 3/4moa, maybe it was my cleaning habits that flawed this...

I shoot off a bench with a harris brm 6-9 up front, my hand in the back, it is a stable platform, but a tank for sure, I carry it coyote hunting though, I love it.