• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage TR / TRR knob

308Dude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2009
Northern CA
Is it true that the Savage Mark II TR and TRR come with an oversized bolt handle knob and 3 sling swivels in spite of what the Savage website depicts.? Owners sound off.

Re: Savage TR / TRR knob

I got my TR back in April and yes it does come with an oversized knob and 3 studs. Mine is a tack driver. One thing to know the TRR has a flat base so if you want to shoot to 200+ with it you will have to remove the rail that comes with it. IMO I would save the money and pick up the TR and for the difference you can add a Rimfire Tech 25 moa base.

Thanks for responding. I'd prefer the TR over the TRR but I cannot find one anywhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Dude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for responding. I'd prefer the TR over the TRR but I cannot find one anywhere. </div></div>

Ellett Brothers had 28 SAVAGE MARK II TACTICAL TR 22 LR in stock last Wednesday when I ordered mine. There's also 3 or 4 on Gunbroker for sale atm too.

So, why does the 17hmr come witha muzzle brake... just out of curiosity?

Is this for tacticool purposes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 331V8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to cut recoil of course! ...

</div></div>

Maybe smallboresniper can enlighten us on this one...?

So, any way I could get that TR bolt knob for my FV? Anybody have pix of the TR handy to post here?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 331V8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to cut recoil of course! ...

</div></div>

For SURE! Those .17's will wear you out in a hurry.

Ask and ye shall recieve

TRBolt2.jpg

they seem to be cool little rifles maybe one day i'll pick one up.

Last I checked ablesammo.com had .22 and .17 in stock.

Got my TRR yesterday afternoon. I does have 3 sling swivles & a nice oversized bolt knob. I didn't mount factory the 3-rail scope mount, opting for a R/T 25 MOA rail instead. Looking through my collection of scopes, I decided to put (don't laugh) a Barska 10-40x50 Swat on for the maiden voyage. The sun will be up in a few hours & I'll go out & zero in at 50 yds, then the fun will begin!

kansas45, post some pics please. I'm thinking of getting one as well.

R/T 25 MOA scope mount, Baraska 10-40x50 Tactical scope, tried a Caldwell BiPod. Works good. Couldn't tell much difference from my Harris, maybe a little more flex while loading, but not much. Clock wise from 5:00 are shot # 65 to 70, 70-75 & at the top 75-80. Full value wind @ 15 to 20 mph from my right. I'll clean it good tonight & shoot some more tomorrow. I ran a bore snake through the barrel a few time today. From my 50 yd zero, the come up to 100 yds is 3 MOA. My Savage FV has a 3 1/2 MOA come up at 100. Is this because the barrel is 2" longer on the TRR? I use CCI Mini Mag HP's in both rifles.

SavageTRR002.jpg

SavageTRR001.jpg

SavageTRR007.jpg

SavageTRR006.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhh... high powered scopes
smile.gif

I look forward to when i have more funds for a bigger scope for my 17... one with tactical turrets

Nice looking rifle mate
smile.gif

Anyone know, if you can replace the bolt knob, or simply purchase a whole new bolt from Savage?

Kansas45 are those 100 round boxes of 17hmr ammo?

vman, those are CCI MIni Mag HP .22 LR. I have yet to get into the .17 game, but I think I will before too much longer.

kansas45 where did you pick up your rifle? Im in wichita, just wondering if i can get one local. THX.

I ordered it through my local gun shop. You might check with Don at the Bullet Stop & see if he can get one. Unless you need that three sided scope / acessory mount for some reason, just buy the TR instead of the TRR. I did not know the difference untill it was too late.

I'm liking the good reviews! I got a pretty good deal on one at a local shop and I'm picking it up on the 30th. I have a R/T 25moa base and an eagle stock pack ready to go, and I have a set of IOR rings and a Wotac 4-14 on the way for it. All I need now is a 6-9 bipod and I'm good to go!
Can't wait till the 30th!

By the way, if anyone else is looking for a MkII TR, the shop had another one as of last week.
PM me if you want the info.

ONE DAY i am gonna get me one of those to try.

Second thought Does anyone do a replacement for the accu trigger?

Yeah. I just ordered some EGW rings. The ones in the picture earlier are on there because they were the only ones I had in the drawer. The Barska is working very well on the .22. I must have got a good one I guess. I had it on my Tikka .308 for quite awhile & it worked good on it too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, why does the 17hmr come witha muzzle brake... just out of curiosity?

Is this for tacticool purposes? </div></div>

I think the forest service required it be installed so the elite sniper ninja wont light our urban areas on fire;
it supresses the mighty magnum flame that spews for with every shot.

I just got my new MkII TR home from the shop and got her all "dressed up". I bought it as a trainer for my HS Precision
.308. I've had 2 weeks to gather parts while I was waiting to pick her up, so here's what I came up with:

Obviously, the MkII TR, Bushnell 4200 Elite Tactical 6-24x50,
Rimfire Technologies 25moa base, a set of 30mm low IOR rings, Harris 6-9" notched swivel bipod, and a Eagle Shooter's Stock Pack. I honestly couldn't be happier with the scope/rings/base combination. The objective bell clears the barrel by a hair under 3/16" and with the sunshade on, it clears by a little less than 1/8".
With the scope sitting at this height, the cheek pad on the stock pack allows for a perfect eye/scope allignment with a nice comfortable cheek weld. I wish I could say I planned it all that way, but really, I just got lucky.

Here she is:
2j3puzm.jpg

Close up:
30mlft3.jpg

And with "Big Sis" for comparison:
103y2k1.jpg

Cant wait to get to the range and see if it shoots as good as it looks!

Looks good Semour Gunz.
My EGW rings got here yesterday. I'll get them installed & the scope leveled tomorrow after work. Still thinking about what to use on the stock for a good cheek weld, but I won't know untill I try the new rings I guess. I also changed ammo & am using CCI subsonic now. What a difference that made!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadeye351</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Second thought Does anyone do a replacement for the accu trigger? </div></div>
Rifle basix

Like I said, with where my scope sits, the Eagle stock pack couldn't be more perfect. If you have one handy, I would give it a try. If you go with higher rings and need a little extra height, you could always add a piece of foam under the Eagle for some extra "loft".

Are you using the factory 2-pc base or a aftermarket rail?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semour Gunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like I said, with where my scope sits, the Eagle stock pack couldn't be more perfect. If you have one handy, I would give it a try. If you go with higher rings and need a little extra height, you could always add a piece of foam under the Eagle for some extra "loft".

Are you using the factory 2-pc base or a aftermarket rail? </div></div>

I bought the TRR & it came with a one piece three sided rail. I put a Rimefire Technologies 25 MOA rail on this rifle. My MKII FV wears a 20 MOA EGW rail.

What's your opinion on the RT base vs. the EGW?
I wasn't sure whick to go with so it was pretty much a coin toss and the RT won.
Do you prefer one over the other?

As a side note, The only problem I see with the Eagle Stock Pack is that it makes it a little difficult to remove the bolt.
Cycling is no problem, but when removing the bolt, it is <span style="font-style: italic">very </span>tight. I noticed this because the first thing I did after posting these pics was to take the bolt out to the garage and polish it up on the buffing wheel. It was a little stiff out of the box, but with a little buffing and a light coat of oil, it now cycles like my HSP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semour Gunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's your opinion on the RT base vs. the EGW?
I wasn't sure whick to go with so it was pretty much a coin toss and the RT won.
Do you prefer one over the other?

As a side note, The only problem I see with the Eagle Stock Pack is that it makes it a little difficult to remove the bolt.
Cycling is no problem, but when removing the bolt, it is <span style="font-style: italic">very </span>tight. I noticed this because the first thing I did after posting these pics was to take the bolt out to the garage and polish it up on the buffing wheel. It was a little stiff out of the box, but with a little buffing and a light coat of oil, it now cycles like my HSP. </div></div>

Both rails are quality pieces of equipment. I use EGW's on my .223 & .308 Tikkas, as well as my Savage MKII FV. I decided to try the Rimfire Technology rail this time after reading TP's review a while back. I like the open space over the bolt & the extra 5 MOA can only help me in my quest for the elusive 300 yd & further mark.
wink.gif

The opening over the ejection port is a nice feature. I don't know if I'll need the extra 5moa, but it's definitely better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

the review with pictures:RIMFIRE TECHNOLOGIES / EGW BASE REVIEW

i just came back from the shooting club's range where it was Savage / nikon / hornady day. several savages to shoot with ammo and nikons on top - all for free.

they had a tr there, the first time i seen one in person, and i really liked the finish of the entire rifle. i didn't really notice a big difference in accuraccy as compared to a MKII BV, but for $100 more you get the knob and a-5 ish stock.

it did feel good to me though, and although the accutrigger is nicer than nothing, i prefer the rifle basix to it. of course the trigger may not have (probably) been set correctly to my liking, but after shooting that and the other savages, i realize that tyhe accutrigger doesn't fit my shooting style. the trigger kept "re-setting" to the safe mode, as i like to utilize the side of the trigger rather than having to fully engage it with a full finger pad.

i believed this to be a disadvantage (at least for me), especially if used hunting in the field, as i woould have to put the bolt up to reset.

i liked the bolt knob, though i think it could have been about a 1/4" to 1/2" longer to be more effective.

the savage rep. said the base (one piece) was made by burris. it had no mfg. name on it, but it resembled the egw base so much that i could have sworn that's what it was.

i found the stock to be comfortable, both on the bench and off hand, and only seemed to really differ from the mcmillian (as far as grip goes) in the thumb groove. but still a very comfy stock. i do wish they had made it in a more durable synthetic.

they were using crappy remington golden bullet ammo, wish they had wolf, as the rem ammo really showed it's worthlessness at 100. but at 50 yards, 3 rounds were touching each time i shot it.

but all in all if one is looking for soemthing to mimick the feel of a bolt gun that has a mcmilian stock on it, this is REALLY close.

Are the TR/TRR bolt knobs interchangeable with other rifles? I have a BV but want to do a bigger knob. Its hard to find something I'd like and that fits on the 22 bolt.