• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage upgrades?

johnstonblake

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2010
Texas
I'm wanting to get an accurate rifle now for cheap, but with the possibility of doing some accurizing upgrades later to it. Are savages easy to work on? New barrel, bolt work, trigger, stock, etc.

It's most likely going to be in 260, so it kinda limits my factory choices.

Re: savage upgrades?

Yes they are very easy to work on with a few basic tools. Out of the box my 300 win mag was fairly accurate. Rebarreled I am 1/3 moa at 300 meters.

The SH Ghost Dancer project rifle started as a Savage 10FP .260, ended up being upgraded with McM A3 stock, SSS Trigger and Recoil Lug, and was eventually refitted with an L-W stainless BR grade 28", 1:9" Savage Varmint Weight contour SAAMI .260 barrel. It has been my goto 1Kyd F Class rifle for nearly a decade.

These days my access to 1Kyd distances is far too sparse, and I've switched over to FV200, a sorta F Class 200yd program we run at our Club range.

This Winter, the old Dancer's being refitted with a heavy weight 23" 1:10" barrel chambered for 30BR. I think this will be a fun project.

It will be running side-by-side with an unmodified (except to replace the Scout style scope mount with a more conventional pair of Weaver bases) Savage factory 10FCM Scout chambered in 7.62x39. It bears the AccuStock. The rifle is very sound and surprisingly accurate with so-so factory Boxer FMJ ammo, and I think that treating the cartridge as if it were a 30PPC and doing some load development might yield some respectable accuracy.

Both of these shortie 30's will start out on a diet of 110gr V-Max and IMR-4198. Could be a fun comparison.

My suggestion for your starter Savage would be the 10 Predator Hunter Max I .260. Mine is brand new and shoots sub 1MOA out of the box at 100yd with relatively peppy 140SMK handloads. I'm not changing anything on either of these two rifles until old age and wear demand it.

The Max I version is factory upgraded with the AccuStock, which I believe really converts the rifle up to another stage of accuracy.

The original Dancer factory 24" 1:8" .260 barrel shot handloads very accurately to 1Km (documented as 1123yd) at the NRA Whittington Center C/F Silhouette Range in NM back in 2002, and my new .260 Predator's barrel has identical specs.

I think the key point I want to make here is that with the Savage product line, aftermarket upgrades are very possible. But the product line is also quite broad and robust; and many of the factory offerings could make such upgrades unnecessary.

Greg

Every savage is extremely upgradable with basic tools as stated before. Just take a look at my sig. There is nothing factory on my rifle but the action and most of the bolt. As was already mentioned get the new 260 LRH add a good aftermarket stock and scope and nothing else is needed.

Good luck,
Merritt

Savages are a DIY dream.

There's a few in the classifieds section now that would require little work other than a re-barrel to suit your immediate needs.

weight will be an issue, as this will be a hunting rifle, and i might be toting up and down mountains from time to time. i like the predator max alot, but it's a tad heavy for what i want. so the model 16 fcss with the accustock and smaller profile barrel is what i'm kinda looking at.

buck up, eat your wheaties, lift weights, tie a helium balloon to it... just have fun and ask if you need resources or help with anything. none of us knows it all, but all of us know enough to answer any of your questions

I bought an Accustocked Precision Carbine and hit targets at 1000 yards. Love it! It's also my hunting rifle.
smile.gif
I didn't have to change a thing on it and it holds .5 MOA.

As far as doing the work yourself, Savage is the way to go.

Keep in mind, stocks might be difficult to find for particular actions because Savage upgrades their stuff so often based on user feedback and trends in the market. Look at HS Precision, B&C and read the fine print. Most will give dimensions that they work with. SSS has some nice stocks too and pretty much has everything.

Remingtons have a lot more upgrade options out there, but there's a lot that a gunsmith will have to do for you. You can't leave that cost out. If you're looking to keep building onto a system, I would have to say go with a Rem because you're certain to find anything you need.

If you want an accurate rifle off the shelf, the Accustock Savages have been very accurate and the only upgrades you need will be a scope and sling.
smile.gif

My M14 weighed more than my Predator, all up and ready to rock; and I carried that M14 everywhere I went for 13 months in 'Nam.

It's not so much about what it weighs as it is about accepting what's going to be, period. That M14 became an extension of my body and mind. At times, a genuine lifesaver, too.

Greg

If you are goona build up a gun from an original,why pay the high price for an enhanced model when you can buy a savage stevens 200 for a fraction of the price.Then when you decide to build,you will be adding better components to the mix.The stevens is identical to the savage.They lazer a different name on it.I have done it 2 times for way cheaper than buying a precision carbine which has a same old savage hit or miss barrel(quality that is).

Look at the Model 12 Long Range Precision in .260. Detachable box, target action/target accutrigger, decent HS Precision stock, 26" bull. All you need is a base and scope.

A lot of gun for $925 from Jim at Northland.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

Jon has it right if you're just planning on upgrading at a later point then the Stevens action is the way to go. As far as out of the box accuaracty, well it will suffer some compared to Savage. I guess it just depends on how fast you plan to upgrade.

For the stock, I'd also look Kevin's line of stock at Stockade. He makes custom stocks and primarily markets for Savage/Stevens rifles. He'll have something for what you're intended purposes are and you can simply give him a call, very good people, to see what they would recommend. They also have recoil lugs, bolt handles, bolt lift kits, etc. Kevin can also true your action when it's time to build the finest!

It's all up to you, but you can build a Savage/Stevens anyway you want it with a hand full of tools, but make sure you have the proper tools to do it or have someone who does do the work. I've built a few and made some of my own mods...they all shoot well.

As far as the difference between Stevens and Savage...well it just depends if you want sub MOA performance now or later?