• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Vs Remington 308

THE MGD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2011
S. TEXAS
Looking for a suppressed rig i can run hunting.
so far im lock into a 1:10 Twist rate for subsonic practice.

725$ rifle budget. already have glass. suppressor is direct attach.

My two main choices are a savage 10 and a Remington 700 aac sd.
both i have been told have sloppy/crappy threads/shoulders. so on both or i'll have to to thread or RE-threaded. Both could use a better stock although remington has more choices.
Recently i read that the savage barrels can easily be swapped without the need of a gun smith. If true this would highly intrest me, if for example i'd want to try a 18" barrel or a longer barrel.

still undecided. Suggestions?

Re: Savage Vs Remington 308

Remington seems to have more upgrade possibilities. Out of the box, the Savage is very accurate. Are you planning on upgrading or just leaving stock?

if you are going to pay the $$ to the feds and pay the inflated price suppressors sell for, why do you want to keep the rifle budget so low - when you have already stated the deficiencies of your choices - crappy stock, barrel etc

your rifle adds/ replacements will soon exceed the initial cost and the final product will hold little value

shooting suppressed on the "cheap" is not a practical plan

@Rainer: i would like to upgrade maybe just the stock. not a whole lot.

@gerorge: I have a (HEAVY) target rifle , im looking for a lighter hunting rifle , <span style="text-decoration: underline">one i dont mind my friends / family using </span> aka a LOANER that I DONT MIND USING ...LOL

swapping simular calibers for my family / friends preffrence sounds cool. (make them buy the barrel
smile.gif
) if its easy enough to install without having to machine it or need a gunsmith. i dont mind getting 30 cal go / no go gauges.

MGD ... Remington definitely has more stock upgrades however, Savage does have MacMillan, Manner, and a few others.

If anyone can confirm that you can still swap barrels without a gunsmith realitivly easy with the NEWER MODEL savage 10's then I'll be sold on savage

Or do best of both worlds and build a Rem-age.
Remington action using a barrel nut like the Savage.
Here's the one I'm working on.

0B250F1E-BE99-4EC8-8C47-20EFF144ACA7-4004-000004FC217367DE.jpg

We built both of our Savage 260 rifles from new parts and couldn't ask for anything easier or that shoots better for our 1000 yard matches.

Am going with the Rem-Age setup on my new rebarrel on my XP-100 long range 260rem pistol for next summers matches. Hate to cut out the Smiths but based on our Savages we didn't lose anything on the accuracy end doing it this way.

Just my opinion but you did ask.....

Topstrap

You still need to check head space, but yes, swapping barrels on the Savage is easier. Have seen 1 person do it at the range I go to real time. Now try that with with a Remington (and I do like Remington). Nothing to fear from the Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut!

And I forget to add that another plus for Savage is the detachable bottom metal ... there are a few folks here who have built/are selling higher capacity mags for the Savage 10 in case you are interested.

for the savage:

you will need an action wrench, barrel nut wrench, go gauge, and some times a strap wrench or barrel vise

to swap the barrel without removing the scope/ base, I have to use only the top part of the action wrench held in a cresent wrench ( other action wrenches may be different)

Im not real impressed with the barrels remington is putting on their rifles, but I ike the 700 action better than the savage..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for the savage:

you will need an action wrench, barrel nut wrench, go gauge, and some times a strap wrench or barrel vise</div></div>

One can easily swap Savage barrels with just a go gage, scotch tape, barrel nut wrench, a shop vise, some notched blocks to hold the barrel and some brown sugar.

Put barrel nut wrench on barrel nut, put brown sugar on blocks, place around barrel, tighten barrel down well in shop vice, couple good hits with a dead blow or 1lb hand sledge and one's in business.

Note: some of the new model Savages (such as the 11 Hog Hunter) have a smooth barrel nut that is a major PITA; the best option for that (IMO) is dremeling the thing off or using a pipe wrench, then replacing it with a standard grooved barrel nut when you do the swap.

As others have mentioned, going Rem-Age gives you the flexibility of fast DIY barrel swaps with quality prefit barrels like a Savage, with the action smoothness & aftermarket of a Rem 700.

I use an action wrench, barrel wrench and go gauge to change my barrels, I remember reading somewhere that The smiths at Savage only use go gauges to screw on barrels, just screw it on until it touches the bolt face then tighten down the nut, usually gets you within tolerable headspace. When installing a barrel you also have to take out the ejector and extractor, which is relatively easy. Most barrel nut wrenches you can buy online will come with a wrench for the smooth nut, at least my wheeler wrench did.

Also keep in mind, if you are going to be shooting subsonics with heavier rounds in a 308, a 1 in 10 may not be enough, you may have to go with a 1 in 9 or faster.

I'd go by trigger if you're leaving everything stock. Both are great guns, but be sure to break them in with 100-200 rds of regular velocity ammo before going with subsonics. I had a squib in my 10FCP almost right out of the box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anyone can confirm that you can still swap barrels without a gunsmith realitivly easy with the NEWER MODEL savage 10's then I'll be sold on savage </div></div>The guy on this video is just using a Wheeler action wrench in a vice instead of a barrel vice. I did this as well and it works fine and is less expensive.
I put a Criterion 7mm08 barrel on my 308 Savage HS Precision in my garage and I can cover a 10 shot group center to center at 200 yards with a quarter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPlFtskCwng&list=FLwXTOGUPU-A8WAUbGaDttPA&index=11

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Also keep in mind, if you are going to be shooting subsonics with heavier rounds in a 308, a 1 in 10 may not be enough, you may have to go with a 1 in 9 or faster. </div></div>I don't shoot subsonic so I might be missing something, but I could stabilize anything in my Savage 1-10 twist 308. I was using 208gr Amax with good results. If it was too long to stabilize it would have been too heavy to use in a 308 anyway.

I have swapped several savage barrels with match prefits. Very easy process. Also, you can swap bolt faces in no time to change between small/large/magnum bolt faces. The stock options aren't really that limited with the Savage either.

Just finished this rig Saturday..built for hunting. New 10FP-SR that I bedded into a Boyd's thumbhole stock. Adjusted Accu-Trigger down to lowest setting (1# 8oz), screwed on a "Big Chubby" brake, and hit the range yesterday. First group at 100 meters was 5/8", and next was 3/8" shooting 175 SMK's over Varget. Not too shabby for a hunting rifle.

I have done several barrel replacements on Savages, and all were straighforward. They all shot extremely well.
DSC05290.jpg

MGD for those that say you are very limited on upgrades, I disagree. Yes Remington does have more but the way I see it's only a couple big ones such as no AICS and not so many top end triggers for the Savage. You still have some very nice stocks available such as Manners, XLR, Mcree. They are easier to work on by yourself. I am waiting for a .260 barrel right now and plan on doing it myself and putting a new trigger in.

IMO, the big thing the Savage lacks in the aftermarket isn't really a lack of triggers (SSS Comp and Evolution, Basix SAV-1 and SAV-2, and Timney are all offered), its readily available aftermarket stocks.

The AICS isn't available (although AI said this spring they'd be ready in October 2012 for 4.41" short actions...) and Bell & Carlson's offerings pale in comparison.

If Bell & Carlson would start making the A2 Medalist for the 110 long action and M40 and/or A3 for the 10 short action (even if both were only offered for current-production centerfeed actions) the perceived "lack of aftermarket" would largely disappear.

There are several good quality stocks available for Savages Boiler. Like I just stated, Manners, HS Precision, XLR, Mcree, JP. It may not be as vast as Remington but there are plenty of quality options and there are more and more starting to offer for Savage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HonkeyMcGee88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are several good quality stocks available for Savages Boiler.</div></div>

I know that...I currently have two McMillans and previously had a Manners for my Savages.

There is, however, a lack of <span style="font-style: italic">readily available</span> aftermarket stocks for Savages like there are for 700s...specifically the AICS and Bell & Carlson Medalist options I mentioned.

A big reason for that IMO is that Savage can't leave well enough alone with their designs. Staggerfeed, centerfeed, top bolt release, bottom bolt release, DBM, etc...whereas the 700 pattern has been around for decades largely unchanged.

If you want to order something and wait a few months you can get pretty much whatever you want, but if you want something <span style="font-style: italic">right now</span> that is moderately priced you're kinda stuck with a laminate, A2 Medalist (if you have a short action) or a Choate Tactical. Or as you mentioned, a chassis system...but those tend to be a bit more expensive.

That being said, the "lack of aftermarket for a Savage" really is more perceived than it is real these days...

go with the Savage. If the rough action is bothering you, polish it up.

After market parts...like what, trigger? get the Rifle Basix or the SSS trigger.

stocks? Fit the stock to the rifle, not that hard

bbls? very little fitting involved with Savage.

It was my finding in regards to accuracy that Savage factory to Rem factory...Savage has always won in a apples to apples comparison (and you save a few bucks too)

I like my 700PSS but I wish I'd had gone Savage. The only reason I went Rem was that I got a steel on my rifle.

Again, all of you have been a GREAT HELP to me, I truely appreaciate it.
Thank you and happy holidays
-bought me a savage this time (have plenty of rem 700 decided to try it out)