• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage17 hmr

mnhntr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2011
I ordered a 93 GV 17 hmr and was wondering if anyone has tried both the Hornady 20gr xtp and the 17gr vmax. What accuracy differences were there.

Re: Savage17 hmr

I have a 93R17 BRJ. I'm not sure that the GV is, but assume the "V" stands for Varmint barrel. I've fired everything I can find from my BRJ, and the best round I have ever fired through it is the Hornady V-Max 17 Grain. That also happens to be the favorite round of my CZ 455 with the 17HMR barrel installed. I have never had anything even come close except the 15.5 grain. Still, the 17 grain V-Max was the best. With the 17 grain, and the factory stock glass bedded, it shoots well under 1 MOA out to 100 yards while shooting outside. Your mileage may vary. All of these Savage barrels have a favored round. What are you going to use the 17 for? What's its purpose and the normal engagement range?

I have the Marlin, but it also prefers the Hornady 17 gr. vmax or CCI TNT HP's. I've heard the 20 gr. is better for shooting out farther, but I've never used them myself. 300 is good enough for me!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CiscoGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 93R17 BRJ. I'm not sure that the GV is, but assume the "V" stands for Varmint barrel. I've fired everything I can find from my BRJ, and the best round I have ever fired through it is the Hornady V-Max 17 Grain. That also happens to be the favorite round of my CZ 455 with the 17HMR barrel installed. I have never had anything even come close except the 15.5 grain. Still, the 17 grain V-Max was the best. With the 17 grain, and the factory stock glass bedded, it shoots well under 1 MOA out to 100 yards while shooting outside. Your mileage may vary. All of these Savage barrels have a favored round. What are you going to use the 17 for? What's its purpose and the normal engagement range? </div></div>
It will be a low cost practice rifle to simulate my LRP. I figure the triggers will be close. I will also use it for some fox and squirrel hunting, and neighbors cat reduction.

I used to have a 93R17 and the best ammo that it liked was CCI TNT HP's .. I tried the 20 grainers but they just didn't seem to group well for me. I have since sold that rifle but it was a great one.

I have the 93717 as well. I have shot the 17 grain CCI TNT, Remington Acutip, Federal V-shock and the Hornady V-max. I no longer shoot anything but Hornady V-max. My rifle shoots all of them well but the V-max is Devastating.