• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Saw a Colt Gold Cup National Match yesterday.....

kimberseries1

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2011
Texas by the Grace of God
Man, is it just me, or has Colt's Gold Cup NM really gone downhill? The slide to frame fit was pretty loose in the rear. I know your accuracy does not come from this, so it's a moot point....but....It seems they should have better fitment for this level of 1911.

The grips were VERY cheesy too! Plasticy rubbery wraparound that was not snug at all. Hogues would be a HUGE improvement! These felt VERY cheap!

No beavertail, and a spur hammer....

The finish could not be wiped clean unless you had the softest cloth possible, and I'm not sure that would clean it up either. Otherwise, streaks were always there no matter what. Finish was o.k., but I was expecting more from this level of Colt.

What's goin' on with Colt? I remember the Gold Cups from the Series 70, and this one seems to be.....wanting to say the least. I thought Colt was on a comeback.....

Re: Saw a Colt Gold Cup National Match yesterday.....

Colt has never really built a nice pistol. People have always just bought the name.

A video posted by a SH member a few weeks ago showed that colt doesn't even bother to fit a slide and frame to each other individually.

I agree and disagree. Colt did build some nice pistols like kimber noted, series 70's. After that steadily down hill.

The Series 70 pistols are nothing like a modern day American-made Springer, STI, or a Kimber from the '90s. The fit was sloppy even then. While they may have been the nicest pistols available at their time, there was not the robust, competitive market for semi-auto pistols then that there is now. A 1970s-made Colt compared to a modern, American-made pistol would look like a piece of trash.

CNC and other modern techniques have made modern pistols worlds ahead of anything from the past, except maybe customs from smiths who knew what they were doing. Colt has never produced a 1911 on par with an STI or Springfield TRP, at least not to my knowledge. They have always been poorly fit and sloppy, just not necessarily as sloppy as they are today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Series 70 pistols are nothing like a modern day American-made Springer, STI, or a Kimber from the '90s. The fit was sloppy even then. While they may have been the nicest pistols available at their time, there was not the robust, competitive market for semi-auto pistols then that there is now. A 1970s-made Colt compared to a modern, American-made pistol would look like a piece of trash.

CNC and other modern techniques have made modern pistols worlds ahead of anything from the past, except maybe customs from smiths who knew what they were doing. Colt has never produced a 1911 on par with an STI or Springfield TRP, at least not to my knowledge. They have always been poorly fit and sloppy, just not necessarily as sloppy as they are today. </div></div>

Wow! Why then are there RABID Colt nuts who explode when you try to enlighten them on other forums? I mean they really go nuts when you try to tell them these things.

I shot a Colt Defender range rental a year ago or so. I was horrified at the craftsmanship, and at 20 yards the groups were at least 15" or more. I've shot 3" Kimbers at that distance and been able to keep groups around 5" or less. I gave Colt the benefit of the doubt because it was a range rental, but apparently that was not the case.

That brings my next question: why won't full house custom shops work with anyone else but Colt? I had a Clackamas Kimber I would have loved to send to Stan Chen or Hilton Yam or someone, but I've heard custom guys won't work on anything but Colt.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That brings my next question: why won't full house custom shops work with anyone else but Colt? I had a Clackamas Kimber I would have loved to send to Stan Chen or Hilton Yam or someone, but I've heard custom guys won't work on anything but Colt..... </div></div>

Probably because there's more to make right, and more hours to bill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That brings my next question: why won't full house custom shops work with anyone else but Colt? I had a Clackamas Kimber I would have loved to send to Stan Chen or Hilton Yam or someone, but I've heard custom guys won't work on anything but Colt..... </div></div>

Probably because there's more to make right, and more hours to bill. </div></div>

man, those sudden bursts of laughter in a quiet public room are golden....

that's freakin hilarous!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Series 70 pistols are nothing like a modern day American-made Springer, STI, or a Kimber from the '90s. The fit was sloppy even then. While they may have been the nicest pistols available at their time, there was not the robust, competitive market for semi-auto pistols then that there is now. A 1970s-made Colt compared to a modern, American-made pistol would look like a piece of trash.

CNC and other modern techniques have made modern pistols worlds ahead of anything from the past, except maybe customs from smiths who knew what they were doing. Colt has never produced a 1911 on par with an STI or Springfield TRP, at least not to my knowledge. They have always been poorly fit and sloppy, just not necessarily as sloppy as they are today. </div></div>

"at least to my knowledge " That's were the problem is Dz, your knowledge is limited.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That brings my next question: why won't full house custom shops work with anyone else but Colt? I had a Clackamas Kimber I would have loved to send to Stan Chen or Hilton Yam or someone, but I've heard custom guys won't work on anything but Colt..... </div></div>

Probably because there's more to make right, and more hours to bill. </div></div>

that's freakin hilarous!!</div></div>

Meh. Sounds like you had a point to make, but wanted someone else to say it for you. I'm glad you like your Kimbers. I dont. I didnt, and I wont. I am up to 9 1911s, and there are some Colts in there. I dont see any reason to go into a pissing match over brand X vs. brand Y, since most people have their favorite pistol and to them, its the best thing out there, everything else is crap, blah-blah... All I know, is that Mr Chen, Hilton Yam, etc.. They'll ALL work on a Colt, Springfield, or other quality stuff. I doubt "billing hours" comes into the equation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That brings my next question: why won't full house custom shops work with anyone else but Colt? I had a Clackamas Kimber I would have loved to send to Stan Chen or Hilton Yam or someone, but I've heard custom guys won't work on anything but Colt..... </div></div>

Are you actually implying that Colt has more problems then Kimber?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamescaan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That brings my next question: why won't full house custom shops work with anyone else but Colt? I had a Clackamas Kimber I would have loved to send to Stan Chen or Hilton Yam or someone, but I've heard custom guys won't work on anything but Colt..... </div></div>

that's freakin hilarous!!</div></div>

Meh. Sounds like you had a point to make, but wanted someone else to say it for you. I'm glad you like your Kimbers. I dont. I didnt, and I wont. I am up to 9 1911s, and there are some Colts in there. I dont see any reason to go into a pissing match over brand X vs. brand Y, since most people have their favorite pistol and to them, its the best thing out there, everything else is crap, blah-blah... All I know, is that Mr Chen, Hilton Yam, etc.. They'll ALL work on a Colt, Springfield, or other quality stuff. I doubt "billing hours" comes into the equation. </div></div>

That was not my intention at all. I've already sold 1 Kimber, and selling another. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Springer at all(Loaded STS, Operator), or an STI above the Spartan level. I'd definately buy a Dan Wesson, and will probably own a Les Baer and a Nighthawk Custom.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">My point is this:</span></span>
Colt had a huge "comeback tour" at the SHOT Show, and all the Colt fans keep talking about a "Colt Comeback". I'd like to know where this "comeback" is. I'm trying to see if anyone can tell me how Colt is making this "comeback".

I'm not trying to push Kimber at all, as you can tell from my sig, I don't care for Kimber II's. I'm also not trying a "brand X vs brand Y" debate, and if you took it that way; well, sorry you took it that way.

To tell you the truth, I'd like to see a Colt comback, and I'd like to buy a QUALITY Colt 1911. I was dissapointed to say the least.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That brings my next question: why won't full house custom shops work with anyone else but Colt? I had a Clackamas Kimber I would have loved to send to Stan Chen or Hilton Yam or someone, but I've heard custom guys won't work on anything but Colt..... </div></div>

Are you actually implying that Colt has more problems then Kimber? </div></div>

Oh $#!t, here we go......

I dunno. I'm not important enough to go to SHOT. I'm just a regular guy with an affinity for 1911s. None of the Colts I've bought in the last few years have exhibited any problems. Hell, I carry my plain jane Commander model almost as often as I do my Ed Brown. I have a Les Baer, and just traded off a Nighthawk. They are damn fine pistols. I know nothing of a "comeback tour" but I do shoot alot of pistols, and still like the Colts. (along with Ed Brown, Les Baer, etc..)

And, if you'd like to shoot any of mine, get out to West Texas. I'll let you shoot Colts from 1918 to 2011. Along with the others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamescaan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">None of the Colts I've bought in the last few years have exhibited any problems.
</div></div>

I'm not trying to pin problems on Colt. I'm simply saying the model designated "Gold Cup National Match" left a LOT to be desired by something called "Gold Cup National Match". Something at this level should not be having fittment issues between the slide and frame. It may be a tackdriver, but I don't want to hear it rattle as I'm walking with it CC. And the grips were absolutely essecense of cheese....

I'd take the Springfield Stainless Loaded 8 days a week over this piecer, and it's 1/3 cheaper!!

I'm not trying to knock Colt, not trying to start a flame war, just trying to understand why a model designated "Gold Cup National Match" has bottom tier quality fittment and grips, in the midst of this "Colt Comeback" I keep hearing everyone talk about.

I dunno. I have a 2011 GCNM. With Esmeralda grips on it, because I like wood(heh). It doesnt rattle, or seem poorly fit. Again, you are more than welcome to come check it out.

And yeah, VJJ, I have one.

Python
Anaconda
Series 70's 1911
The original AR-15

and they pissed them all away.

If the gov't did give them the M4 contract they would have closed.

Worst run firearms company there is.

Colt started switched to CNC machines a few years ago, so that statement about competitors using them and Colt not is a moot point.

Also, Springfield may have pistols 1/3 less than a Gold Cup but what you get is Brazilian made guns with an American name on it and plenty of MIM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brutas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Python
Anaconda
Series 70's 1911
The original AR-15

Worst run firearms company there is.</div></div>

man that is the truth, such a shame!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Colt started switched to CNC machines a few years ago, so that statement about competitors using them and Colt not is a moot point.

Also, Springfield may have pistols 1/3 less than a Gold Cup but what you get is Brazilian made guns with an American name on it and plenty of MIM. </div></div>

That's simply not true. This one was a NM stamped National Match, NM on bushing, frame, and maybe bbl. All USA parts, don't know about the MIM though, but I own Kimbers so MIM is fine with me. Not one MIM part has failed on 3 pistols. By the way, forged parts can fail too.....and do......

I stick with Nighthawk and Wilson
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Colt started switched to CNC machines a few years ago, so that statement about competitors using them and Colt not is a moot point.

Also, Springfield may have pistols 1/3 less than a Gold Cup but what you get is Brazilian made guns with an American name on it and plenty of MIM. </div></div>

That's simply not true. This one was a NM stamped National Match, NM on bushing, frame, and maybe bbl. All USA parts, don't know about the MIM though, but I own Kimbers so MIM is fine with me. Not one MIM part has failed on 3 pistols. By the way, forged parts can fail too.....and do...... </div></div>

Even the 1500-2500 Springfield guns have MIM parts, and guess where they are made? Where do you think all of their frames and slides come from?

I think Colt's QC went to hell years ago, they just don't give a shit anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brutas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Python
Anaconda
Series 70's 1911
The original AR-15

Worst run firearms company there is. </div></div>

Can you say UAW?

Having worked on just about every brand of 1911 made at one point or another, Colt has always had consistent quality of metal and accurate barrels. Say what you want about a factory gun but, when building a custom pistol the Colt produced a nicer finished product. Weather it be fitting a grip safety or installing low mount Bo-Mar sights, they cut consistent. I can't say that for the other brands. Maybe it is the little details that most people don't get to notice like the size of the trigger slot when fitting an aftermarket trigger or the radius of the front strap when setting up to machine checker. All of these things go unnoticed by the consumer but, when you have to deal with these things you understand why shops set standards for the brands they work on.

I hate to break it to you National Match and Gold Cup lovers but, there isn't anything "Match" about them. They roll out of the factory needing the same improvements as the plain ol Government model. Aside from a few feature differences like the wider trigger, those horrible Elliason sights, and a few internal pieces, they are the same.

I have several personal guns that have been customized and the ones that were built from factory guns, with the exception of one, are all Colts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Even the 1500-2500 Springfield guns have MIM parts, and guess where they are made? Where do you think all of their frames and slides come from? </div></div>

The only people complaining about MIM parts are on the internet. The vehicle you drove to work this morning probably has MIM connecting rods. My 2000-made Kimber has shot tens of thousands of rounds and is still going strong with its MIM parts. Something suggests that it's not MIM that is the problem, but internet histeria.

I wouldn't give a rat's ass if Colt didn't use a single MIM part. I can replace a thumb/grip safety at my kitchen table. A sloppy slide to frame fit, not so much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Colt started switched to CNC machines a few years ago, so that statement about competitors using them and Colt not is a moot point.

That's simply not true. This one was a NM stamped National Match, NM on bushing, frame, and maybe bbl. All USA parts, don't know about the MIM though, but I own Kimbers so MIM is fine with me. Not one MIM part has failed on 3 pistols. By the way, forged parts can fail too.....and do...... </div></div>

Even the 1500-2500 Springfield guns have MIM parts, and guess where they are made? Where do you think all of their frames and slides come from? </div></div>

The frames that come from Brazil must have Mfg. rollmarks as well as importer marks. The Springfield's marked NM have no import marks, and the Mfg. marks are from the US ONLY. As for the slide and interior parts, I guess ask a factory worker. But the Springers from Brazil say so.

My MIM parts on 3 guns haven't broke. You think forged parts don't or can't break? I got some ocean front property for you, real cheap....

Anaconda
Series 70's 1911
The original AR-15

Worst run firearms company there is. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Can you say UAW?

Having worked on just about every brand of 1911 made at one point or another, Colt has always had consistent quality of metal and accurate barrels. Say what you want about a factory gun but, when building a custom pistol the Colt produced a nicer finished product.</div></div>

EVERY Colt I've shot has been WAY less accurate than EVERY Kimber I've shot. Haven't shot a Springer yet.

The statement about Colt producing a nicer finished product is subjective. A $900 Dan Wesson was SEVERAL rungs above the Gold Cup NM I viewed, and probably every other Colt I've seen. Kimber's Gold Cup Trophy or whatever was miles ahead of Colt's Gold Cup NM. As far as fit, finish, slide to frame fit, trigger pull, etc., I find Colt to be a less nice finished product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Weather it be fitting a grip safety or installing low mount Bo-Mar sights, they cut consistent. I can't say that for the other brands. Maybe it is the little details that most people don't get to notice like the size of the trigger slot when fitting an aftermarket trigger or the radius of the front strap when setting up to machine checker. All of these things go unnoticed by the consumer but, when you have to deal with these things you understand why shops set standards for the brands they work on. </div></div>

The consumer does notice trigger pull, slide to frame fit, quality of finish, etc., and for Colt, those all seem to be lacking. I guess you're saying all their cuts are uniform in their lacking, so custom shops can count on consistency? Like the other poster said, they'll be able to charge more hours to consistantly make the same improvements? By the way, the Colt grip safetys I've handled make a loud popping noise when you let off. No other brand I've handled makes a noise upon release, only when pushing in.

I hate to break it to you National Match and Gold Cup lovers but, there isn't anything "Match" about them. They roll out of the factory needing the same improvements as the plain ol Government model. Aside from a few feature differences like the wider trigger, those horrible Elliason sights, and a few internal pieces, they are the same.
</div></div>

And that justifies the nearly 75% increase in price? When you move up the Springfield or Kimber ladder, you definately notice the attention to details, the jump up in quality, and the price is justified.

Once again, I'm not trying to start a flame war because I don't pick sides no matter what my screen name or sig. says. I'm trying to understand why the $1300 Gold Cup NM is basically the same thing as a $800 Govt., but with shittier grips, loose slide to frame fit, no beavertail, spur hammer, same trigger, streaky finish, but 60-70% increase in price and the title "Gold Cup National Match" in the midst of this "Colt Comeback". And why rabid Colt fanboys will defend this and others will say they have superior manufacturing, but I just can't seem to find it. I guess I'd have to be big dog custom builder(re-worker) to appreciate it.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I stick with Nighthawk and Wilson
wink.gif
</div></div>

From now on, me thinks I will too, and Dan Wesson and Les Baer.....

Downzero,
Have you ever seen a pre WW11 1911? A pre war ace or NM 1911? Handled it, shot it? A pre WW1 GI or commericial pistol in new shape? Colt never made a good gun? I think you need to look a bit further afield. You data base is lacking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Can you say UAW?

Having worked on just about every brand of 1911 made at one point or another, Colt has always had consistent quality of metal and accurate barrels. <span style="font-weight: bold">Say what you want about a factory gun</span> but, when building a custom pistol the Colt produced a nicer finished product.</div></div>

EVERY Colt I've shot has been WAY less accurate than EVERY Kimber I've shot. Haven't shot a Springer yet. </div></div>

Speaking of subjective. How do you define "way less accurate". What were your methods for testing? Did you use a machine rest? Were you using the same ammo in each pistol? Were the tests done at the same distance under the same weather conditions?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The statement about Colt producing a nicer finished product is subjective. A $900 Dan Wesson was SEVERAL rungs above the Gold Cup NM I viewed, and probably every other Colt I've seen. Kimber's Gold Cup Trophy or whatever was miles ahead of Colt's Gold Cup NM. As far as fit, finish, slide to frame fit, trigger pull, etc., I find Colt to be a less nice finished product.

Weather it be fitting a grip safety or installing low mount Bo-Mar sights, they cut consistent. I can't say that for the other brands. Maybe it is the little details that most people don't get to notice like the size of the trigger slot when fitting an aftermarket trigger or the radius of the front strap when setting up to machine checker. All of these things go unnoticed by the consumer but, when you have to deal with these things you understand why shops set standards for the brands they work on. </div></div>

The consumer does notice trigger pull, slide to frame fit, quality of finish, etc., and for Colt, those all seem to be lacking. I guess you're saying all their cuts are uniform in their lacking, so custom shops can count on consistency? Like the other poster said, they'll be able to charge more hours to consistantly make the same improvements? By the way, the Colt grip safetys I've handled make a loud popping noise when you let off. No other brand I've handled makes a noise upon release, only when pushing in.</div></div>

I am not aware of any shop that charges more to do the same job based on brand of the same model.

</div></div>

And that justifies the nearly 75% increase in price? When you move up the Springfield or Kimber ladder, you definately notice the attention to details, the jump up in quality, and the price is justified.</div></div>

No, I never said there was any justification for the higher price of a Gold Cup. If you will read my statement again, you should find it says the exact opposite. I would say the majority of improvements you get as you move up the "ladder" with any brand are feature based.

Once again, I'm not trying to start a flame war because I don't pick sides no matter what my screen name or sig. says. I'm trying to understand why the $1300 Gold Cup NM is basically the same thing as a $800 Govt., but with shittier grips, loose slide to frame fit, no beavertail, spur hammer, same trigger, streaky finish, but 60-70% increase in price and the title "Gold Cup National Match" in the midst of this "Colt Comeback". And why rabid Colt fanboys will defend this and others will say they have superior manufacturing, but I just can't seem to find it. I guess I'd have to be big dog custom builder(re-worker) to appreciate it..... </div></div>

Think of the Colt like a Remington 700. If a custom gun is your goal and you already have one, it's a great place to start. If you don't have a pistol to start with, buy a custom.

From now on, me thinks I will too, and Dan Wesson and Les Baer..... </div></div>

It is foolish to believe these don't suffer their own problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Downzero,
Have you ever seen a pre WW11 1911? A pre war ace or NM 1911? Handled it, shot it? A pre WW1 GI or commericial pistol in new shape? Colt never made a good gun? I think you need to look a bit further afield. You data base is lacking. </div></div>

Are you really trying to argue that a machined product made on the machining technology from 1915 could possibly resemble something made today?

I suggest that you think a little bit about what you're saying. Just look at, perhaps, the automobiles from that era. A 4:1 compression ratio was considered "high" compression then, the wheels on the vehicles resembled something that'd be on a motorcycle today, etc. The idea that it was even remotely possible to produce something of the quality that a modern machine shop can produce today at nearly any reasonable cost then is absolutely preposterous.

Yes, I have handled 1911s that old. They're loose and sloppy, because they were made to be service pistols. And even the best ones of that era aren't even remotely comparable to even a cheap gun made today. It wasn't for lack of skill then, because labor was cheap. The technology of 1915 just wasn't capable of producing a firearm of the quality that is the norm today.

Enjoy your Kimber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speaking of subjective. How do you define "way less accurate". What were your methods for testing? Did you use a machine rest? Were you using the same ammo in each pistol? Were the tests done at the same distance under the same weather conditions?</div></div>

Wow! I forgot I <span style="font-style: italic">was</span> writing for Guns N Ammo, I <span style="font-style: italic">should've</span> used a vice......

Yea bud, same distance, same ammo, several mags worth through each side by fucking side. If that's not good enough for you, go pound sand. I wasn't shooting Kimber RH and Colt LH, I shot them both the same range, same target, same distance, same ammo, same grip, same hour. Colt was not up to the task.

I am not aware of any shop that charges more to do the same job based on brand of the same model. [/quote]

I'm not talking of shops that charge more for one brand over another. I'm talking of shops that <span style="font-style: italic">only</span> work on Colt.

No, I never said there was any justification for the higher price of a Gold Cup. If you will read my statement again, you should find it says the exact opposite. I would say the majority of improvements you get as you move up the "ladder" with any brand are feature based. [/quote]

Wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, if it seemed that way, I apologize. Regardless, I don't see any features above the regular Series 80 Govt. to justify the nearly 75% price increase. In fact, I see less features, as in p.o.s. grips, no beavertail, spur hammer......o.k., it's got adjustable rear sights......wow, $50 upgrade.....

Think of the Colt like a Remington 700. If a custom gun is your goal and you already have one, it's a great place to start. If you don't have a pistol to start with, buy a custom. [/quote]

I haven't been impressed with the 700 I shot either. I shoot Browning A-Bolts from the 90's. The 700 I had I returned that day. Groups at 100 yards were 8" w/Zeiss $800 glass on top. I even tried to get the range hands to help sight in too......

Barrel had a bulge, thank God I could return it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
From now on, me thinks I will too, and Dan Wesson and Les Baer..... </div></div>

It is foolish to believe these don't suffer their own problems. </div></div>

Well said.

I bought a colt national match (new 2011) and when i got it i noticed the shitty fit on the gun, also the trigger rattles like crazy, so i went to one of the 1911 forums and asked if this was normal on the colt sub-forum, BAD idea, eveybody started attacking me like i had talk shit about their new born kid, there was a service guy from colt and he promised to send me a label to send it back to colt, its been over a month , and im still waiting for the shipping label from colt. If this was a problem with my TRP i'd probably have it back by now. Crappy phone picture, fit and finish is 1000% better on my TRP. Some idiot even said "if you don't want it to rattle don't shake it".

Here is the link : http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=348666&highlight=ttomp1973

NMTRP.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Downzero,
Have you ever seen a pre WW11 1911? A pre war ace or NM 1911? Handled it, shot it? A pre WW1 GI or commericial pistol in new shape? Colt never made a good gun? I think you need to look a bit further afield. You data base is lacking. </div></div>

Are you really trying to argue that a machined product made on the machining technology from 1915 could possibly resemble something made today?

I suggest that you think a little bit about what you're saying. Just look at, perhaps, the automobiles from that era. A 4:1 compression ratio was considered "high" compression then, the wheels on the vehicles resembled something that'd be on a motorcycle today, etc. The idea that it was even remotely possible to produce something of the quality that a modern machine shop can produce today at nearly any reasonable cost then is absolutely preposterous.

Yes, I have handled 1911s that old. They're loose and sloppy, because they were made to be service pistols. And even the best ones of that era aren't even remotely comparable to even a cheap gun made today. It wasn't for lack of skill then, because labor was cheap. The technology of 1915 just wasn't capable of producing a firearm of the quality that is the norm today.</div></div>

On the contrary, the quality of an individual firearm from the 1910s and 1920s is by no means inferior to that of a pistol that came off of a production line yesterday. The methods by which they have been produced changed, but anyone extensively versed in arms can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that quality has always existed, just as surely as junk has.

In very general terms, firearm design has progressed from labor-intensive hand-fitted steel components to high-volume high-precision automated production. Anyone who has handled a good condition M1911 or C96 would laugh at the idea that the quality of weapons a century ago was terrible in comparison to today.

My first "real" 1911 was a Colt Government
I spent more on making it run right than on the pistol.

Having said that, I loved that gun.

I had a Colt 1991 A1, that I had a little bit of work done to, it was so great, then I got rid of it. Why? Gun club in Eugene Oregon back in the late 90s had huge boners for Kimbers, they raved enough that I wanted to fit in, bought one. I did not like it, wanted mine back but it was gone 2 weeks later.

To this day, I have bought so many damn guns trying to fill that void that Colt left me, stupid gun was so good. I'm going to try a NH now, maybe 9mm, can't believe my wife has allowed me to, but her mom is coming in a few weeks...