• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Saying Goodbye to a friend

EDELWEISS

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Im still unpacking from a move and I discovered a box that hadn't been opened since the last move or the one before that or maybe before that. I found stuff from Desert Storm. While rooting through the box I found my old wallet. As I flipped through the papers I found a $10 bill; actually half a bill. As the memories flooded back, I remembered that the night that the Air war started I torn it in half and gave it to a buddy. We promised to tape it together after the war and get drunk together.

Sgt Harry Davis Jr had been in my unit, we were MP Instructors at Ft Meade Md. We both requested a transfer to a combat unit going to the Middle East; but neither of us told the other about the transfer. When we both rolled into the new unit it was nothing more than a nod; but I was happy to know Harry was there. We deployed together but eventually got separated when I got assigned to CID before the Ground war.

After the war, I tried to find Harry, only to learn that he had been killed. Harry was a cop. He made a traffic stop, and the driver killed him. We never got to tape the halves together and share a drink. Last night I said goodbye with a drink; but I still remember my friend.

Harry .jpg
View attachment 7046730

Last edited:
Damn is someone cutting onions around here or what.

Good story. Very sad story. Glad you shared.

Reactions: EDELWEISS
To make it through combat then get killed by a dirtbag on a traffic stop. That more than sucks.
Sorry man.

There are a few here who wonder why some cops are a bit high strung and humorless on such “routine” things such as a traffic stop. I hope they think of your buddie next time they wonder...

Yes that's him. Thanks to you guys for digging up the Officer Down link.

As I get older and am forced to say goodbye to family and friends, I often wonder if the cost of my sins is that I have to be the one that has to remember...

PSALM 30

I will exalt You, O LORD,
for You have lifted me up
and have not allowed my foes
to rejoice over me.
2O LORD my God, I cried to You for help,
and You healed me.
3O LORD, You pulled me up from Sheol;
You spared me from descending into the Pit.
4Sing to the LORD, O you His saints,
and give thanks to His holy name.a
5For His anger is fleeting,
but His favor lasts a lifetime.
Weeping may stay the night,
but joy comes in the morning

11...You turned my mourning into dancing;
You peeled off my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
12that my heart may sing Your praises and not be silent.
O LORD my God, I will give thanks forever.

Well done sir. We should all honor those that have gone before us and left a good impression on us. Whenever I have a drink, a beer or a shot, I ALWAYS leave 1 last sip for my friends lost in the line of duty. Just my simple way of showing gratitude, honor and remembrance.

Carry on gentlemen and stay safe.

The girl that was with the shooter had been a "problem child" always getting into trouble at home/school; but she not only cooperated with the police but testified against the shooter. The incident apparently had a major positive effect on her and turned her life around. Who knows maybe she was just scared of being a co-conspirator in a cop's death but I like to think Harry is responsible for her change.

Your friend’s story is why I go out of my way to make sure the officers know that I am not a threat to them just because they are doing their job when they pull me over...

God Bless you sir, and God Bless Harry Davis Junior.

I had a very dear friend of mine that left high school early to head off to Fayetteville to join the 82nd. We were really good friends for many years, but life took over and we Lost track of each other for quite a while. I searched him out on the internet a couple years ago to find out he had passed away of cancer at the age of 48 a year earlier. I feel the same hole as you do in your loss. I am sorry.

Thanks for sharing, rest in peace Sgt. Davis. The world lost a good one far too soon