• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SB Short Dot Dual CC 1-8 red dot problem

freedom71

Lawprof
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2017
Raleigh NC
I have a SB Short Dot Dual CC 1-8 LPVO. The red dot is daylight/Aimpoint bright when my eye is directly behind the dot, but the brightness falls off considerably with very slight eye movement to the right or left.

It's not so bad when simply moving the gun back and forth at 1x with a proper cheek weld. But with repeated live fire at 1x, recoil makes it impossible to keep exact alignment behind the red dot and the dot becomes almost impossible to see for follow up shots.

This oddity has been mentioned in passing on this forum, but I'd like to know if any other users are having this big of a problem when using the scope with live fire. It's a very annoying problem for such an expensive scope. Maybe it's just something wrong with my particular scope that SB can fix.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'd really like to know if this is a problem with others who have the same scope.

I have a SB Short Dot Dual CC 1-8 LPVO. The red dot is daylight/Aimpoint bright when my eye is directly behind the dot, but the brightness falls off considerably with very slight eye movement to the right or left.

It's not so bad when simply moving the gun back and forth at 1x with a proper cheek weld. But with repeated live fire at 1x, recoil makes it impossible to keep exact alignment behind the red dot and the dot becomes almost impossible to see for follow up shots.

This oddity has been mentioned in passing on this forum, but I'd like to know if any other users are having this big of a problem when using the scope with live fire. It's a very annoying problem for such an expensive scope. Maybe it's just something wrong with my particular scope that SB can fix.

CC owner here. This hasn't been my experience, and I am really picky with eye box forgiveness. Just used CC on a recent hog hunt where I was shooting from less than ideal positions in bright texas sun. Haven't seen that issue.

I could be mistaken but there was an identical thread like this a month ago.
Koshin even weighed in... since he has this scope.

Reactions: whisper35
I was the one who mentioned it in the other thread as I noticed it right away. Last week I used it in a carbine class for the first time and after the first day I switched to my backup gun with a Kahles K16i. The dot dimming is incredibly distracting under constant fire and unique shooting positions. Completely agree that this is not acceptable in a scope this expensive.

I reached out to S&B this week and I am going to be sending it in, but I am not hopeful after getting this response from their rep:

“Moving off axis like in the video is going to produce a seemingly dimming illumination as the optic is designed to be looked straight through with proper eye relief and a correct field of view. What is being seen is not surprising considering the conditions under which it is being recorded.”

Here is the video he is referring to which I also posted in the other thread.

Ahh....I got ya.
Sorry it's happening and i certainly understand the disappointment given the premium paid on this scope.

This scope is on my short list but i'm holding off. I'm willing to spend $4k but it better be perfect.
If it's not, there are great runner's up.

Mine's similar to to that, but the way you describe it sound exaggerated (vs how I see it.)

To me it's a signal that I'm not holding the rifle wrong, or off with my aim (off parallax). I think it has to do with the way the scope is illuminated.

My rifle/scope is perfectly set up for me and the dot easily comes in view and on the brightest setting, it’s very bright.
If I take my eye off axis to where the ocular is eclised by about 30%, the dot dims and this is most pronounced in bright outdoor conditions.
This is clearly shown in your video.
But this is easily recognized as an incorrect hold.
-Richard

Last edited:
My rifle/scope is perfectly set up for me and the dot easily comes in view and on the brightest setting, it’s very bright.
If I take my eye off axis to where the ocular is eclised by about 30%, the dot dims and this is most pronounced in bright outdoor conditions.
This is clearly shown in your video.
But this is easily recognized as an incorrect hold.
-Richard

Mine are this way as well. Just chalked this up to whatever voodoo is required to keep the dot SFP. In actual use, I've yet to see it be a significant problem.

I have not had a problem with the red dot in bright Florida sunlight...the great silver Heron was never in harms way with these photos.

IMG_1996 copy.JPG
IMG_2165 copy.JPG
IMG_2325 copya copy.jpg
IMG_5935 Annotated with S&B 1-8X Dual CC copy.jpg

Does this happen only when in the CC mode?

I was the one who mentioned it in the other thread as I noticed it right away. Last week I used it in a carbine class for the first time and after the first day I switched to my backup gun with a Kahles K16i. The dot dimming is incredibly distracting under constant fire and unique shooting positions. Completely agree that this is not acceptable in a scope this expensive.

I reached out to S&B this week and I am going to be sending it in, but I am not hopeful after getting this response from their rep:

“Moving off axis like in the video is going to produce a seemingly dimming illumination as the optic is designed to be looked straight through with proper eye relief and a correct field of view. What is being seen is not surprising considering the conditions under which it is being recorded.”

You and I discussed this on the previous thread and I posted a video showing that the red dot dimmed considerably but did not disappear completely in the scope shadow.

I disagree with S&B that this simply is a problem of an incorrect hold or field of view. The dimming occurs with the slightest movement off direct axis. If you're shooting static off a bipod or other support, there won't be a problem. But I defy anyone to maintain a fixed direct axis when firing multiple rounds in succession without support or when shooting while moving. Once you move slightly off direct axis, the red dot dims to where it barely is daylight bright. In bright sun, the red dot off-axis is not daylight bright.

I'm going to send mine in as well. Please keep me apprised of any updates. This is unacceptable for a scope this expensive. My Kahles and Minox LPVOs do not do this.

You and I discussed this on the previous thread and I posted a video showing that the red dot dimmed considerably but did not disappear completely in the scope shadow.

I disagree with S&B that this simply is a problem of an incorrect hold or field of view. The dimming occurs with the slightest movement off direct axis. If you're shooting static off a bipod or other support, there won't be a problem. But I defy anyone to maintain a fixed direct axis when firing multiple rounds in succession without support or when shooting while moving. Once you move slightly off direct axis, the red dot dims to where it barely is daylight bright. In bright sun, the red dot off-axis is not daylight bright.

I'm going to send mine in as well. Please keep me apprised of any updates. This is unacceptable for a scope this expensive. My Kahles and Minox LPVOs do not do this.
Perhaps this is what they seem to be discontinued everywhere. They are impossible to find right now in nearly any configuration with the 🌲 reticle.