• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SBR 5.56 ammo

Sebrock

Huevos Rancheros
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2020
Bethesda, MD
Can someone recommend ammo other than the Hornady 5.56 75gr Interlock HD SBR? Seems like this is impossible ammo to get so looking for some alternatives - and really really really don't want to throw 5.56 into my reloading regimen. I also have 36gr varmint ammo which might also be effective at close range - just looking for a home defense round that will frag at short distances.

I didn't go 300BLK because I was gifted a Proof 223 Wylde barrel and for plinking I can use all the 5.56 ammo I have and for home defense its easy enough to get 100-200 rounds of something effective - which I will hopefully never have to use.

Not an expert but in my opinion I can't imagine a few rounds of any 5.56 round that won't stop the threat. Several cops I have asked carry green tip in there ARs.
That said I use 75gr TAP in mine.

77 tmk is what I have loaded up. Fragmentation past 300 yards from a 10.5" barrel.

77grTMK_06.jpg

Also you can look up this rounds performance on Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, etc over here
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/223-for-bear-deer-elk-and-moose.130488/

Not an expert but in my opinion I can't imagine a few rounds of any 5.56 round that won't stop the threat. Several cops I have asked carry green tip in there ARs.
That said I use 75gr TAP in mine.
I think the issue is over penetration. I feel like the 5.56 62g green tips I have will just rip through a person. Maybe it kills them, maybe it doesn’t, but the bullet is definitely exiting and will keep going. I do agree that if someone breaks in and is a threat - he will be Swiss cheese and probably die but it would be better to have something for self defense.

I was actually able to find some LE TAP ammo for SBRs with the 75g Hornady bullet at Eagle Eye Guns.

Last edited:
I have a number of 5.56 SBR's and pistols , this one is my shortest and for defensive intent I use the BH TSX. Black Hills 50 gr. TSX was developed for just this situation. Decades ago the FBI studies demonstrated the 55 gr 5.56 rounds had less household barrier penetration than HP 9 mm rounds.

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 6.11.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 6.12.21 PM.png
IMG_7592 Annotated 1 copy 2.jpg
IMG_7596 cropped right side copy.jpg
IMG_7597 cropped right side 2 copy.jpg
IMG_8711RRA RUK 5.56 KAC Hand Stop Barrier Brace 03.31.21 copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 7.59.18 AM copy.png

IMG_7904 copy.jpg

IMG_7912 copy 2.jpg

Last edited:
I have a number of 5.56 SBR's and pistols , this one is my shortest and I use the BH TSX. Black Hills 50 gr. TSX was developed for just this situation.

Thank you. I put my email on a few lists of this since they seem to be out of stock everywhere. Funny cause that was my gut is why not use a lighter varmint round. I know the 36gr stuff I have is supposed to be pretty messed up on the short range receiving side - out of my 16.5 inch barrel anyways .

70 grain TSX shows about 3500 boxes in stock
Thanks for the link. Because this is just self defense ammo and don’t require a ton - looking for factory ammo. I’m trying to keep my reloading just to my precision rifles. I think if I wasn’t running out of room - I would buy a Dillon 650 for my 5.56 and 9mm rounds. Very tempting.

What is your barrel length

I have 50 gr optimized tsx as well. Expansion threshold is about 2300 iirc. The picture/page above ^ said 2500 but I'm almost positive it's 2300. I'd rather use something that fragments or has a lower threshold on a very short barrel. On a 10.5" you're still 2850ish fps so you're definitely still good. That round sheds velocity fast though so if you're thinking about scenarios of longer shots it's not idea imo.

Nasty round though.

7ce1fe4b-295a-4dec-868d-a32c62e70dc5-jpeg.6997506

UAn3IvX.jpg

Any of these is going to absolutely ruin someone's day. Some are better suited for higher velocities though. Just have to look at your velocity and the rounds expansion/fragmentation threshold.

Last edited:
Reactions: HD1911 and Sebrock
I have a number of 5.56 SBR's and pistols , this one is my shortest and for defensive intent I use the BH TSX. Black Hills 50 gr. TSX was developed for just this situation. Decades ago the FBI studies demonstrated the 55 gr 5.56 rounds had less household barrier penetration than HP 9 mm rounds

Have you chronographed that thing? If it's not above 2400 I'd be very worried about over penetration and no expansion. I would definitely try to find a round with a much lower expansion threshold.

Also even with doubled up ears you're probably damaging your hearing with that through bone conduction. Just something to be aware and careful of.

What is your barrel length

I have 50 gr optimized tsx as well. Expansion threshold is about 2300 iirc. The picture/page above ^ said 2500 but I'm almost positive it's 2300. I'd rather use something that fragments or has a lower threshold on a very short barrel. On a 10.5" you're still 2850ish fps so you're definitely still good. That round sheds velocity fast though so if you're thinking about scenarios of longer shots it's not idea imo.

Nasty round though.

7ce1fe4b-295a-4dec-868d-a32c62e70dc5-jpeg.6997506

UAn3IvX.jpg

Any of these is going to absolutely ruin someone's day. Some are better suited for higher velocities though. Just have to look at your velocity and the rounds expansion/fragmentation threshold.
Barrel is an 11.5 inch proof research barrel with a Socom mini 2 on it. The TAP 5.56 is what I ended up getting.

Reactions: Clayman
Federal now sells the Mk 318 SOST as T556TNB1, which was designed specifically for the Mk 18 SBR. Other options I would suggest would be Federal LE 62gr, as it has excellent performance through barriers (including leather, auto glass, and more); or the TSX load described above.

HD? So we’re talking light skin medium game at short range. Like, literally anything that will go bang in your rifle will work. Any soft point will mushroom well. A vmax will frag- that is how it’s designed. You could look for a HD specific round, but I’d be looking for an analog marketed to hunters…

I use a hand load with 75 grain bthp from hornady. I’m getting almost mk262 velocity and really good sd/spread. I have never tested this load in gel but inwill tell u that it hits hard on the coyotes. U can hear a loud pop when they hit. They fragment and still get good penetration. I would not be afraid to use those bullets in a real life scenario.

...."HD" infers less than 50ft distances, inside and outside, of the typical urban/suburban dwelling. In same scenario, perpetrators unlikely to be sporting body armor, but if they are, plenty of exposed body areas that will stop advancement of aggressors, a varmint type projectile would be more effective, even impacts on body armor will cause pause. Pass thru of fiberwall/drywall is real, regardless of bullet construction, but more frangible bullets will lose more energy. Rural living may have greater distances, but local laws will most likely still consider viable "HD" to be limited to the confines of the dwelling....

Reactions: SporterII
Can someone recommend ammo other than the Hornady 5.56 75gr Interlock HD SBR? Seems like this is impossible ammo to get so looking for some alternatives - and really really really don't want to throw 5.56 into my reloading regimen. I also have 36gr varmint ammo which might also be effective at close range - just looking for a home defense round that will frag at short distances.

I didn't go 300BLK because I was gifted a Proof 223 Wylde barrel and for plinking I can use all the 5.56 ammo I have and for home defense its easy enough to get 100-200 rounds of something effective - which I will hopefully never have to use.
So, some extra food for thought..... for "home defense" perhaps consider frangible ammo. Federal makes a 50gr 5.56 load. I might pick some up myself just because

I typically run 50gr TSX or 75gr Hornady TAP SBR depending on the gun. But you can't go wrong with gold dot or any of the fusion hunting rounds. Just figure out what shoots best out of your rifle. Don't just buy a box and say done. You need to make sure they function in your rifle and what the level of accuracy is.

I’m with @Jigstick . Five we’ll placed rounds into a target in rapid succession is going to do the job. What it takes to properly neutralize soft targets has been well established over he last 20 years.

FWIW, I used 55gr TAP in a 12.5”. I had a video of me running through a shoot house and the shit went through four walls and exited the house.

Reactions: BCP

Just throwing it out there, but if you want something that's priced well enough to go shoot some also, this is pretty solid. 77 grain BTHP... Should do well out of a shorter barrel and be effective for HD

So, some extra food for thought..... for "home defense" perhaps consider frangible ammo. Federal makes a 50gr 5.56 load. I might pick some up myself just because
No offense intended at all... but please don't.

Those type of bullets perform VERY poorly on soft targets when compared to typical respected SD loads.

They will still jack someone up... but tend to act like a bullet that doesn't want to fragment as completely as you and I would expect.

No offense intended at all... but please don't.

Those type of bullets perform VERY poorly on soft targets when compared to typical respected SD loads.

They will still jack someone up... but tend to act like a bullet that doesn't want to fragment as completely as you and I would expect.
120602264_108349350967967_2428773118217096687_n-5435638316.jpg

I like M855A1, Barnes TSX loads, Speer Gold Dots and Tipped Match Kings. Hornady 75gr isn't too bad of an option either.

IMI 77gr razor core is a direct clone, and then once you've shot them once, you can load the IMI cases with 23.4gr varget and get a nice clone load with 77gr cannelured SMKs
In my guns I have gotten better accuracy out of the PMC clone vs the IMI and generally it's cheaper. I have had some decent sub moa groups out of the IMI but nothing to write home about.

Last edited:
In my guns I have gotten better accuracy out of the PCM clone vs the IMI and generally it's cheaper. I have had some decent sub moa groups out of the IMI but nothing to write home about.
Luck off the draw?

One of my White Oak uppers consistently shoots the IMI 77 gr. sub MOA

The IMI is my choice, for sure.

Has anyone here tried using faster powders with ~60gn projectiles in an SBR to regain some velocity lost due to bbl length? I don't have quickload, but have heard that it can be done with H110 and 60/62's while still staying within pressure boundaries in a short bbl. Obviously not suitable for carbines and rifles, this is a pistol/sbr specific load that I am looking for. Thx in advance for any insight.

Has anyone here tried using faster powders with ~60gn projectiles in an SBR to regain some velocity lost due to bbl length? I don't have quickload, but have heard that it can be done with H110 and 60/62's while still staying within pressure boundaries in a short bbl. Obviously not suitable for carbines and rifles, this is a pistol/sbr specific load that I am looking for. Thx in advance for any insight.
Handloading can certainly net some gains, if you’re willing to go that route:
EF461019-D87E-4639-8A89-3A0ED8BF6E5D.jpeg

Bad idea.

You're hitting the same speed as XBR or Varget at max pressure but you only get 75% of case fill which would make for a pretty inconsistent load.
Super easy to overpressure (5k psi for an extra 0.5 gr of powder) and you probably won't generate enough pressure for reliable cycling.

H110 is absolutely great for SBR ... in 300BLK which has a pistol length gas system and 110+ grain bullets.

I'm sure it *can* be done with a different gas port size, location, AGB, different buffer weight or carrier but then ... you're literally re-engineering an entire platform. Sounds like a load of liability only to squeeze an extra 50fps as opposed to simply press the easy button and get a few boxes of Fusion 62 or BH TSX 50.

H110 can be made to work, but generally won’t be as efficient or temperature/lot insensitive as using something closer to to powders used in 300blk, etc.

essentially the reason I listed H335, is I punched in desired bullet and seating depth (via coal), barrel length, constrained to minimum 70% fill and Pmax -13%, then sorted for max velocity on the powder table. H335 is as fast as you’re going to get unless you start playing in the pmax -5% zone after fully characterizing a specific powder lot. (I’ve only done this with my batch of CFE223 where several dozen rounds in controlled conditions gave me a reading that it tends to run slightly hot by about 2%)