• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors SBR Lower with Different Uppers

killerwaffles

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2012
Houston, Texas
I have a registered lower receiver for a 10" barrel chambered in 5.56 and i was wondering if i could build an upper for a 12" 300 blackout or do i have to get another tax stamp and engraved lower receiver?

Re: SBR Lower with Different Uppers

As mentioned, you can attach any length and any caliber upper you want. They do “request” that you notify them of any permanent configuration change. As long as you still have the 10” 5.56 upper, you are GTG.

Oh ok that works. As far as notifying the ATF, do i need to fill out paperwork or just call them up? Time to build my 300 blk.

I don't think there is a specific form, they just request that you send them a letter explaining the change so they can update their records.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rv10flyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As mentioned, you can attach any length and any caliber upper you want. They do “request” that you notify them of any permanent configuration change. As long as you still have the 10” 5.56 upper, you are GTG. </div></div>

I've been told, and correct me if i'm wrong, that you cannot attach a "rifle" length barrel (16" or more)to an SBR registered lower, hence once you do, it's no longer an SBR. That was on the AR15 forums. Said something like "once a rifle, always a rifle. Anyone know the answer for sure?

Negative. The registered weapon (lower) would have to be removed from Title 1 status. That takes paperwork. You can run whatever length of additional uppers you desire on that single registered lower...but you need to retain "an" upper with the registered barrel length and caliber. Run your 10", built a 7"...build new uppers in new calibers...place your 16" upper on that lower and go hunting. You're GTG. If you place an upper with a barrel length equal or greater than 16" it is no longer, <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">technically</span></span>, an SBR in that configuration...but it does not nulify the lowers capability, as registered, to serve as an SBR host. Here is the BATFE FAQs page that addresses some of your concerns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BravoSector1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Negative. The registered weapon (lower) would have to be removed from Title 1 status. That takes paperwork. You can run whatever length of additional uppers you desire on that single registered lower...but you need to retain "an" upper with the registered barrel length and caliber. Run your 10", built a 7"...build new uppers in new calibers...place your 16" upper on that lower and go hunting. You're GTG. If you place an upper with a barrel length equal or greater than 16" it is no longer, <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">technically</span></span>, an SBR in that configuration...but it does not nulify the lowers capability, as registered, to serve as an SBR host. Here is the BATFE FAQs page that addresses some of your concerns. </div></div>

Thanks for the info. Useful link!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BravoSector1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Negative. The registered weapon (lower) would have to be removed from Title 1 status. That takes paperwork. You can run whatever length of additional uppers you desire on that single registered lower...but you need to retain "an" upper with the registered barrel length and caliber. Run your 10", built a 7"...build new uppers in new calibers...place your 16" upper on that lower and go hunting. You're GTG. If you place an upper with a barrel length equal or greater than 16" it is no longer, <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">technically</span></span>, an SBR in that configuration...but it does not nulify the lowers capability, as registered, to serve as an SBR host. Here is the BATFE FAQs page that addresses some of your concerns. </div></div>

Well said--this is how I approach my SBR lowers. As long as you keep an upper in the originally specified configuration, you're GTG with everything else.

I think that as long as you can return to your original config you are fine. I keep my old 10" barrel in the safe just in case. No need to retain a complete upper if you never intend on using it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ATF recommends written notification to the NFA Branch when a firearm’s configuration is permanently changed or removed from the purview of the NFA.</div></div>

If they recommend it, does that mean it is optional? Never got a straight answer on this. Hence me decision to keep old parts as insurance against any possible (very unlikely) issues.

When you did the Form 1 what calibers did you list for that lower. My understanding is if you registered a lower and only put 556 or 223 that is all you can use however if you listed ever possibility you are good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HAVOC615</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you did the Form 1 what calibers did you list for that lower. My understanding is if you registered a lower and only put 556 or 223 that is all you can use however if you listed ever possibility you are good to go. </div></div>

You can use whatever caliber you want even if your Form 1 is marked 5.56. A while back people would list the different calibers on the Form 1 or just put "multi" to cover all their bases. However, I have read of multiple forms getting kicked back if more than one caliber was listed or if a specific caliber was not listed.