• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors sbr question

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
i did an sbr about 5 years ago and want to do another one now, has any thing changed in 5 years ? do i need to put my name and address on the barrel still ?

Re: sbr question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are doing a Form 1, the engraving goes on the lower, not the barrel. </div></div>

The reciever gets engraved .......

Actually ATF regs say you can engrave the barrel as long as it's visible, IIRC. But on an AR, where the barrel can easily be separated from the receiver, common wisdom is that you'd be smarter to engrave the lower.

is there anyway to get around my CLEO needing to sign off on one of these? i want to get one but I am pretty sure my CLEO won't do it considering he has shut down 2 class 3 dealers and is running his reelection campaign on shutting down the last one.

I thought in Tn that a CLEO couldnt NOT sign ....

But yes you can go the trust route and never have to talk to anyone at all.

I've not looked into any of this kind of thing much so I'm quite ignorant on all the laws,

I'm going to have to look into the trust thing some time.

i was always told the engraving didnt have to go on the receiver, it could go on the barrel

i dont think you have to engrave the receiver what if you want to sell the rifle later on ? now the guy you bought it from has your address in his gun.

no you can engrave the barrel

You can put engraving anywhere visible, but if you sell any Form 1 gun, you address must stay on it as you are the Mfg. On an AR you would need to engrave all of you SBR uppers you intend to use if you decided not to engrave receiver.

In regards to some one elses name on a future owners gun, there isnt much resale to one, as the cost to manufacture is the same as to transfer....

Sometimes it is just the much smarter path to make it as easy as possible not to have your own ass in a sling.

When you filled out the paperwork you listed the serial # that is on the receiver, it is a great help to an officer (more to yourself) if the engraving is right there on the receiver as well. No appearance of any impropriety, easy to distinguish, etc.

And as stated above once you have form 1'd a receiver it is not worth selling as the cost to transfer is a wash for the new owner.

Ive come to the conclusion that he does not want to listen to anyone who has any knowledge of the manner and doesnt care to learn either, so I am going to quit trying to be helpful until he wants to sit down and read the regs.

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2008/08/what-is-required-by-the-atf-fo.html
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When manufacturing a class 3 firearm that is restricted by the NFA it is important to follow the guidelines found in the ATF Publication 5300.4 - section 479.102 " How must firearms be identified?"

Generally, any gun manufactured, imported, or made on and after January, 2002 must have the manufacturers information engraved, cast, stamped by impression, at a minimum depth of .003" with a height no smaller than 1/16" on the frame, receiver, or barrel.

The required information on an SBR is the model (if such one exists), caliber or gauge, and the manufacturer's name (or recognized abbreviation). Also for a domestically made (SBR) the city and state (or recognized abbreviation), where you as the manufacturer made the firearm.</div></div>

As for CLEO sign off in TN:
http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2008/07/tennessee-firearms-association.html
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Tennessee Firearms Association writes legislation to help process Class III transfers
One issue that citizens of many states face is the fact that the BATF forms which are necessary to complete a transfer of ownership of a Class III or NFA weapon (or to make certain Class III weapons) ostensibly that a local chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) sign the transfer forms. In Tennessee, this is normally the sheriff of the individual's county of residence except in Davidson County where it is the Chief of Police.

Some Tennessee law enforcement officers were unaware of the federal requirement and have taken the position that they were not required by law to sign these federal forms. In response to that problem, TFA helped write and pass legislation which requires the Tennessee chief law enforcement officers (CLEO) to cooperate in the completion of the BATF forms:

39-17-1361. Execution of documents by sheriff or chief of police. --

The sheriff or chief of police of the city of residence of a person purchasing any firearm, defined by the National Firearms Act, 26 U.S.C. § 5845 et seq., shall execute within fifteen (15) business days of any request all documents required to be submitted by the purchaser if the purchaser is not prohibited from possessing firearms pursuant to § 39-17-1316.

Despite this legislation, many CLEO's in Tennessee still refuse to process the paperwork for form 4 acquisitions. To resolve this issue, a Tennessee NFA Firearms Trust can be helpful. If you wish to purchase a class III firearm in TN please Contact a NFA Trust Attorney in Tennessee.
</div></div>

sooooooo i can do the barrel.

any one know if you can register just the barrel ? a guy was telling me i could register just the barrel encase i want to move to a diffrent receiver, true or not

How would you go about registering a Barrel??????? Please answer me that one, "Its the one thats black and has a .224 diameter hole in it???"

You have to register the lower reciever, swap uppers as much as you like.

hey iam just telling you what a guy told me today, he is an ffl/sot and said when he was into it he registered barrels for his uzi so he would swap from one uzi to the next he gave his barrels serial #'s

i was just asking thats all