• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SBR Question

Painless300

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2013
Rome, GA
I currently have an SBR'd lower with a 300 Blackout upper, my tax stamp has .30 cal stated on it. My questions can I legally run a 12" 6.5 Grend upper on this lower?

Yes, you're allowed to switch uppers to anything you wish. It's advisable to keep a 300BO upper assemble into the original configuration. BATF used to allow "multi" on the form, but now wish a given caliber. But you're not limited to that.

Yes, you're allowed to switch uppers to anything you wish. It's advisable to keep a 300BO upper assemble into the original configuration. BATF used to allow "multi" on the form, but now wish a given caliber. But you're not limited to that.

When did this happen?

Some of my lowers that are in process of F1 list "Multi" as the caliber. I always matched paperwork to the part anyways.

I can't find the guidance notice, so I may be mistaken. Hopefully someone will weigh in shortly. That's the great thing about Internet advice. :giggle:

My understanding is that a SBR cannot be registered as "multi" and that seems to be supported in this section of the Form 1 guide. Complete document here: https://www.atf.gov/file/11281/download
ATF snip.PNG

I have always registered my form 1 lowers as 10.5" 223 and kept a 10.5" 223 upper for each lower. I have a multitude of other calibers and barrel lengths, but have the ability to return the item to its original specification. So long as the modification isn't permanent and you can return the item to it's original specification I believe you are good to go. I would not feel comfortable registering the item as a 223 and not possessing a 223 upper to return it to it's original configuration as specified on the Form One.

I'm not well versed in the SBR form 1 world, so these are just questions but, aren't you only registering the lower, or the "firearm"?
If that is the case, the upper shouldn't matter.

What about the lowers that are labeled as cal: multi?

Thank you, NFAJohn. That's exactly what I have always done. When I register a lower with "multi", I use the caliber of the upper I'm using at that time, and I always keep an upper in that caliber around. Pretty easy once you've a few too many ARs in the usual calibers laying around.

Reactions: NFAJohn
aren't you only registering the lower, or the "firearm"?
If that is the case, the upper shouldn't matter.

What about the lowers that are labeled as cal: multi?
Correct only the lower is registered, but part of the registration is declaration of caliber and overall length. You have to be able to return the registered item to it's registered configuration. If you make permanent modification to the item then you have to notify the atf. Suppose I changed my stock from a LMT sopmod to one of the lwrc ultra short stocks, the rifle is now shorter than it was originally stated on the form one....so long as you can reinstall the sopmod and bring the rifle back to how it was originally built you are gtg. IF you had to weld the lwrc stock onto the lower and it prevented you from ever reinstalling the lmt sopmod stock you would have to notify the atf as the change is now irreversible. Uppers are the same line of thought, so long as you can return the item to how it was registered gtg, but if for some reason you had to weld an upper of a different caliber and or barrel length to the registered lower you would have to notify the atf as the modification is now permanent.

As far as lowers marked multi.... I have several marked multi, but just like @SkyScrapin all of mine have a caliber designation on the form one. I believe that if you put "multi" in the caliber designation box it would be rejected, but I've never done that.

*these are my opinions and understanding of how it works, I'm not a layer, just a simple man who likes short ass guns. Do some research or write the atf an email, they seem to respond to them. I'm always open to learning more about what is a surprisingly unclear set of restrictions on my liberty the laws*

I have always registered my form 1 lowers as 10.5" 223 and kept a 10.5" 223 upper for each lower. I have a multitude of other calibers and barrel lengths, but have the ability to return the item to its original specification. So long as the modification isn't permanent and you can return the item to it's original specification I believe you are good to go. I would not feel comfortable registering the item as a 223 and not possessing a 223 upper to return it to it's original configuration as specified on the Form One.

I never thought of it this way. For multiple SBR lowers, just write down the same length and caliber and always have that one 10.5 upper that will be the donor upper for all lowers. Never use it, just keep it in it's original configuration. I'd just chuck that upper in the range bag and you are covered...no matter what lower you have with you. Am I right? Or do I need to have a separate upper for every form 1.

I never thought of it this way. For multiple SBR lowers, just write down the same length and caliber and always have that one 10.5 upper that will be the donor upper for all lowers. Never use it, just keep it in it's original configuration. I'd just chuck that upper in the range bag and you are covered...no matter what lower you have with you. Am I right? Or do I need to have a separate upper for every form 1.
I have either an upper or barrel to cover all of my shorties, I mean if they do a home inventory audit and you can’t convert everything back then what? I doubt that would happen, but what if? When it comes to the nfa game I error to the side of caution. I have two complete 10.5” 223 uppers and few spare barrels I could swap in if I was ever asked to prove I could return everything to it’s original registered configuration. PSA barrels are cheap.

I think it’s gross overkill, but I don’t need my dog shot so I’ll play the game they way it’s spelled out on paper.

Again these thoughts are just how I’ve always done it, if anyone has a letter or something from the atf I’d gladly dump my crappy barrel collection.