• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SBR Questions

22_250

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 20, 2010
Midland, TX
I am considering building a .300 blackout on a 10.5" barrel. Question is at what point do i have to get the tax stamp and where would i go to get it? Also would my range be limited by the 10.5"barrel vs. A 16"bbl?

Re: SBR Questions

As I understand it, unless you have a pistol receiver or registered sbr or full auto receiver, the only way you can posses that barrel legally is if you have no lower receiver, assembled or not, as the receiver is the firearm according to the atf. The paperwork and guidance in the process should be availible from any dealer that handles nfa items. Maybe someone more knowledgable will chime in.

I suspect if you're keeping with the origional intent of the blackout (subsonic) velocity and therefore range will not be much affected.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I understand it, unless you have a pistol receiver or registered sbr or full auto receiver, the only way you can posses that barrel legally is if you have no lower receiver, assembled or not, as the receiver is the firearm according to the atf. The paperwork and guidance in the process should be availible from any dealer that handles nfa items. Maybe someone more knowledgable will chime in.

I suspect if you're keeping with the origional intent of the blackout (subsonic) velocity and therefore range will not be much affected.</div></div>

I would suggest you and look into the steps and directions for a Form 1 in concert with a local FFL who can do the engraving for you, etc.

A good starting point to learn more about some of the legal bits and pieces could include:
http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/form-1-manufacture/

http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/firearms/2083-manufacturing-sbr-short-barreled-rifle.html

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootingaces</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am considering building a .300 blackout on a 10.5" barrel. Question is at what point do i have to get the tax stamp and where would i go to get it? Also would my range be limited by the 10.5"barrel vs. A 16"bbl? </div></div>

Do you plan on using subsonics with a silencer? If so, there is no drawback to the shorter barrel. If you plan on using supersonics, you will gain 200-300 fps going from a 10" to a 16". I have a load that shoots 110 grain bullets at 2200 fps out of a 9" and 10" rifle. Quite the handy little rifle, and I think it's the best cartridge for a SBR AR15.

If you are really interested, this is how I would do it:

1.Make sure your local Chief Law Enforcement Official is willing to sign the paperwork or you will have to do this process via a trust or llc. Chief Law Enforcement Official could be the Sheriff of your city/county, or the Chief of Police of your city/county. Maybe even the Commonwealth Attorney or Chief Prosecutor of your area. Maybe the highest ranking State Police officer in your area. If one is unwilling to sign, try the next one.

2. Buy a lower receiver, stripped or complete, your choice.

3. Before doing anything else, send it off to be engraved:
First Initial, Last Name
City, State
You can send it off to be engraved after it is registered, but you must file paperwork with ATF requesting permission to do so because the receiver will no longer be in your possession. Much easier to do the engraving first.

4. When lower receiver is in your hands again, file the ATF Form 1, Application to make a firearm. Make sure your local Chief Law Enforcement Official is willing to sign your paperwork. You need to complete the Certification of Citizenship form and submit two completed fingerprint cards, two passport style photos, and a check for $200. Some people will say the fingerprint cards must come from the ATF, but I have done the process twice with cards from the local police department, and it worked just fine.

5. 3 to 6 months later (maybe more) you will receive your approved form and then you can assemble your SBR. I would not have an unregistered lower receiver anywhere near an upper receiver that has a barrel less than 16", until your paperwork is approved and in your hands. Always keep a copy of the paperwork with the SBR, just in case.

To travel out of your home state with an SBR you must file detailed paperwork with the ATF to receive permission.

Good Luck

Damn thing what a PITA.... thanks for the clarification and advise. Looks like i will go with the 16"barrel for now esp. Since i have no immediate plans to run it suppressed.