• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

SBR Range question

kchustle

Private
Minuteman
May 10, 2011
OP, KS
Hopefully this is the right area for this question. I haven't been able to find the info that I need anywhere so hopefully someone has a reasonable answer/source or can help me figure it out.

I'm looking to build an SBR (I have a stripped lower laying around so why not). I want to go with the 6.8 spc because it was specifically designed for a short barreled rifle and I want something that hits harder than .223. I want to make sure that whatever barrel length I go with will allow reasonable accuracy out to at least 400 yards. Ideally I would like to go with a 10.5" or 12.5" barrel because I would eventually like to strap a can on it and I don't want it to get to be too long. Anyone have experience with this cartridge and a short barrel? What kind of accuracty can you expect at that range with a solid setup? Purpose will be plinking/shtf. I have other rifles but this would be a go to truck gun if the lights go out which is why I want a short barrel, a suppressor and a larger cartridge. Thanks in advance for the input. Any help possible is appreciated.

Re: SBR Range question

I can consistently hit full-size IPSC plates at 800 with both of my noveske 10.5's prone off of bag and bipod on WINDLESS days.
Made a cold bore/clean bore first shot of the day hit at 800 last week.

At 400 fast hand-sized groups are possible(again, on absolutely windless days).

At 800 a 115otm from a 10.5" won't penetrate 1/8" mild steel or a wooden 2x4, but it sure is fun to ring that steel with a rifle that fits in a tennis racket case (next to folks shooting 15lb guns).

Takes 47 MOA from a 150 yard zero to be on at 800 using Hornady 110OTM. SSA OTM needs ANOTHER 6 or 7 minutes!

If there is a breeze all bets are off at distance, and I shoot speed drills instead.