• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SBR'd bolt actions?

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    Has anyone SBR'd a bolt action? Care to share pics, range reports, or other experiences?

I've always been interested, but can't do it in my state at this time.

2 buddies and I all have one. Remington 700 blackout AAC cut back to 9 inches. Run them with 230 grain bergers and cans. Very quiet and handy at that length. I don't have any pics at the moment, I'll have to take some.

AAC 300 Cut Down

If you can't have an SBR in your state maybe the next best thing might be to cut one down below 16" and get it back up to legal length by pinning and welding a muzzle device. Here is a 700 AAC that I did that too, put on a Stiller bolt knob, Timney, NF rail, Patriot Brown cerakote, and dropped into an AICS. Accurate Ordnance did the work. The brake is the 300 Brakeout. This is one example of the gun shooting better with the can than without. It'll shoot 147s 5 shot 100yd groups at about 2 MOA. Put the 762-SDN-6 on and it gets cut in half. The 2nd pic is to compare it folded to a 9" AAC 300 Blackout upper.

Attachments

• AAC 300 1.jpg
      AAC 300 1.jpg
      134.1 KB · Views: 118
    • AAC 300 2.jpg
      AAC 300 2.jpg
      119.6 KB · Views: 117
    Last edited:
    10" 223 with a 7 twist and AAC spr/m4. I run the 80 amax. I shoot this thing more than any other rifle I own.

ruger 77/357 with liberty mystic can't remember the barrel length. 9" maybe. 230gr cast bullets out of 38spcl brass. Its my 300blk killer.

Last edited:
    Can we get some build specs on this little 223?

trued up remy 700
    pacnor 7 twist w/223 match chamber
    manners stock I bought used off the hide had to cut the fore end down to fit the short barrel
    surgeon bottom metal
    talley rings and bases
    it now wears a vortex 2.5-10
    aac spr/m4 556 can

You guys had to buy the tax stamp for these sbr's correct? Was thinking about doing a .223 or .243 with a 14 ish inch barrel with a whiskey 3 folder and a 1-4x24 vortex or nightforce. I live in Arizona and was wondering what all I need to do to have a sbr bolt gun. Thank you all in advance.

Yes you have to pay a one time tax of $200 per stamp. In this case one stamp for the SBR another for the silencer. I'd recommend the 223 over the 243 in the shorter barrel but that's just my opinion. In Arizona I'm almost positive you can own a SBR. ***Double check state laws before believing anything you read online***
    If you are allowed to have SBR's then purchase the rifle you plan to have cut down to length, fill out an ATF form 1 and send off your check or money order. Plenty of resources out there, google is your friend. Once you receive the stamp proceed with sending/taking your gun to a smith and having the barrel cut down to the length specified on the form.

Reactions: Maelstrom
    You guys had to buy the tax stamp for these sbr's correct? Was thinking about doing a .223 or .243 with a 14 ish inch barrel with a whiskey 3 folder and a 1-4x24 vortex or nightforce. I live in Arizona and was wondering what all I need to do to have a sbr bolt gun. Thank you all in advance.

This is just a personal opinion but if you are going to do a 14" why not save the cash and do a 14.5-14.7 and permanently attach a muzzle device that could mount a suppressor. If you really wanted to do the sbr it would make more sense to me to go shorter in the 12" and under range.

Reactions: deersniper
    Thank you for the info Hk. And yes we can own them here I just wasn't sure if you are allowed to run an sbr with it being a cut down factory barrel our if it had to be like where as an ar15 it is built that way. And big scoot, I didn't really think of that, good point.

Ptaylor, would you mind sharing your 80 A-max load with us? I REALLY like your rifle, I've been considering an SBR bolt gun for a long while, and yours is the neatest one I've seen yet!

ptaylor, those are outstanding ranch/truck guns!

I've thought of SBRing a TC Contender frame and threading pistol barrels in .22LR, .223, 6.8 SPC, and .357 and .44 Magnums for strictly subsonic usage.

Just get a DTA SRS Covert. Using the 16" 308 barrel my OAL is equivalent to a bolt action with a 10" barrel.

Here's photo of an AR 308 and the DTA SRS Covert. Both have 16" barrels with muzzle brakes.

10202019964_eaea126f72_z.jpg

Reactions: deersniper
    Tell DTA to make one that weighs less than 9.8lbs naked, and doesn't cost $5,000, and I'll think about it!

Seriously though, I LOVE the DTA concept, but until they can change those two things it will only be a concept for me.

Tell DTA to make one that weighs less than 9.8lbs naked, and doesn't cost $5,000, and I'll think about it!

Seriously though, I LOVE the DTA concept, but until they can change those two things it will only be a concept for me.

Technically, the specs say it weighs 9.55lbs with the 16" 308 barrel and the price around $4650. But seriously, the 16" 308 BULL barrel is extremely rigid due to its girth. Primal Rights could make you a hunting barrel that is probably half the weight and bring it down to 8.5lbs if you wanted.

I'm shooting 178gr A-max with 46gr Varget and so far my best 5-shot group is just under 1/4 MOA at 100yds. You got to pay if you want to play :)

14.5 and premint brake lss mdt chassie.

14.5 aac 308 with permanent brake and a lss mdt chassie.
    it shoots good and its handy.

Attachments

• WP_20140617_009.jpg
      WP_20140617_009.jpg
      1.7 MB · Views: 51
    Last edited:
    14.5 aac 308 with permanent brake and a lss mdt chassie.
    it shoots good and its handy.

That is very cool. I was looking at that chassis fir a while but it just seemed too short for the long barrel I was doing. That though looks perfect. Into the future rifle build file it goes.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

10" 223 with a 7 twist and AAC spr/m4. I run the 80 amax. I shoot this thing more than any other rifle I own.

ruger 77/357 with liberty mystic can't remember the barrel length. 9" maybe. 230gr cast bullets out of 38spcl brass. Its my 300blk killer.

That's a bad ass rifle.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Love the rifle. I have been thinking about doing this.

12lbs

Just curious Moses, whats th weight on that 700 as you have it setup in the pics?

It's exactly 12lbs without the scope. Because it's short it doesn't feel it at all and I was surprised.

Attachments

• 300BO 12lbs - Copy.jpg
      300BO 12lbs - Copy.jpg
      26 KB · Views: 51
    So, Ptaylor, what does your badass lil Remmy weigh? lets get some apples to apples comparison goin on here. I'm betting it doesn't weigh more than 7lbs without the suppressor. Thanks!

Velocity?