• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scam calls

Porksboy

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jul 10, 2019
    I keep getting scam calls for extended warranties on my cars and issues with my credit cards. I block them and report as spam. Question, Does anything happen to the scam report? I just got two within ten minutes. BASTARDS. I dont have time to fuck with them.

"Hello this is Pete's pizzeria and abortion clinic......... Where yesterday's loss is today's sauce"...

"Hello this is Pete's dessert shop and abortion clinic....... You make 'em, we bake 'em"...

smiley_smartass.gif

Recording: "This is U.S. Customs. A package of yours has been intercepted and a warrant has been issued for your arrest."

Tried the etended warranty one with a 66 Chevy. They hung up on me.

I keep getting scam calls for extended warranties on my cars and issues with my credit cards. I block them and report as spam. Question, Does anything happen to the scam report? I just got two within ten minutes. BASTARDS. I dont have time to fuck with them
    If on Android make a do not disturb schedule so that only those numbers in your contacts are allowed to ring/make notification sounds.

Reactions: lightman
    My cell does the scammer likely warning. So far not even once has that number left a real or telemarketing message.

Tom's mortuary. We're the last to let you down...

I run a call blacklist app. It has a setting to block ANY call not from a contact. They can still leave voice mail. Its done wonders for me.

Just pretend to also be an aftermarket warranty company if its a live person. Ask for vehicle info, etc. Tell them you're about to go all anchorman in the park on them for trying to disrupt their call servers if their company ever calls your company again.

I usually go with

" Greeley equestrian sperm bank, you whack em, we pack em."

Or

"Moe's crab shack, free crabs for kids"

Or tell them you have a 2016 Ferrari you want to extend the warranty on... just get hung up on most times 😏

If on Android make a do not disturb schedule so that only those numbers in your contacts are allowed to ring/make notification sounds.
    I cant do that. I get work calls and calls regarding DR. appointments.
    I get one every once in a while that its spam likely. Dont answer those and block them too.

I have 4 cellphones, 3 for work and a personal and an additional Google voice number. I can't even count the number of spam calls I get a day between all my devices. It's completely stupid.

I cant do that. I get work calls and calls regarding DR. appointments.
    I get one every once in a while that its spam likely. Dont answer those and block them too.
    I get Doc calls and such too. I usually explain or ask them to leave a voice mail (saying I work nights helps too). When I say I monitor my email and may not answer because of robo calls, I've yet to have anyone complain.

My call blacklist app stops any calls from numbers not in my contact list. If you're getting regular calls from several numbers, add them to your contacts and problem solved.

Car Maintance Waranty Plan ... They are just fucking relentless, Every time I push #one to opt-out of the call list, the Robo Dialer machine just keeps using different area codes and numbers to keep on calling me again and again and again and again ... 3 to 4 times a week.. In it's relentless harassment . it noes no Racism. black, white, rich, poor... it's the fucking Terminator of Robot Dialers .
    I swear to God, if I ever find the building where the Robo Dial machine is set-up. There will be a few well placed Matches set to that Addy.

Reactions: Maggot
    Iphone has an option to silence phone calls that do not come from "known" callers, aka contacts in the settings, works great. LOL

Car Maintance Waranty Plan ... They are just fucking relentless, Every time I push #one to opt-out of the call list, the Robo Dialer machine just keeps using different area codes and numbers to keep on calling me again and again and again and again ... 3 to 4 times a week.. In it's relentless harassment . it noes no Racism. black, white, rich, poor... it's the fucking Terminator of Robot Dialers .
    I swear to God, if I ever find the building where the Robo Dial machine is set-up. There will be a few well placed Matches set to that Addy.
    And now theyve gone to recorded messages so you cant even curse them vehemently with out listening to a couple minutes of crap. My new phone is better on half ot them it will say 'Suspected Spam.'

"Louie's Prime Cuts; you can lick our chops, but you simply can't beat our meat!".,,

My personal favorite is the one with the robotic voice from "Social Security" telling me my account has been "frozen". Like ... now I can't use my Social Security Card to buy a Whopper at Burger King. I know a lot of people lose a lot in these scams, hence the continued use ... but seriously, who is stupid enough to fall for this ridiculous crap.

Blocking the numbers doesn't do anything. They're all randomly generated "spoofed" numbers. Only means that if the legitimate number holder ever tries to call you they can't get through.

The visual voicemail is nice. I can scan through and clean it up in a couple minutes every week. It's usually full up in a week or less with new car warranties.

I have cracked a beer or 10 during conversations with real people on warranty for my new car. They get real pissy after explaining every little part of the warranty only for you to ask about your new 1982 truck since you had to sell the one they called about. Hours of entertainment. Another great one is asking about the snowmobile, and what it covers.

Always get belligerent with them about why they called you, if they can't help you. I'd like to think they'll get frustrated enough to find a better job before long.

I enabled some google assistant thing on my Pixel phone by accident, it does a pretty good job at screwing with the warranty calls. I think it's AI can hear the word warranty and sends them to voicemail

I had a friend get a new number not in my contacts and call me, he said the google assistant announces itself and asks what you want. He said he would like to speak to me, and it rang a second after that. I was cracking up as I had no idea that is what it did to people not in my contacts. I am amazed he got it to ring to me.

Her family owned slaves. So why hasn't she been cancelled yet....

Attachments

• tumblr_ff353045f5421c9834bfa58313196429_eab8137d_500.jpg
      tumblr_ff353045f5421c9834bfa58313196429_eab8137d_500.jpg
      59.9 KB · Views: 31
    My personal favorite is the one with the robotic voice from "Social Security" telling me my account has been "frozen".
    I thought it would be great but then come payday they still take it outta my check. Fuckers!

You all realize that our illustrious elected federal representatives had to pass a bill to allow this shit on cell phones right?

Does anything happen to the scam report?
    Fuck no. And our feckless fucking politicians from either side of the aisle cannot seem to legislate this as a crime with real punishment so it just continues....on, and on, and on.

Assholes can't stop robocalling scams but they think they should tell us how to live our lives.

Hate politicians.....just fucking hate them. Shakespeare got it wrong....its the politicians who must be killed first....lawyers 2nd. (and yes, FBI....this is a joke....a play on a line from...yes, Shakespeare)

The same gov who professes that they will protect us from violent crime and this country's enemies, can't stop a telemarketer

Reactions: Baron23
    One thing to be careful of.

Been trying to sell some old weathertech mats on KSL Classifieds. It's the equivalent of craigslist in the area.

Within an hour of reupping the ad I have been getting a text asking if it is still available. I answer yes. They then send something asking if they can send me a code to verify that I am not a scammer. NEVER say yes. Block them. They are a scammer.

I said yes once and there was a code sent... from Google voice that was in a different language. The code is to verify that there is a real number so that they can set up a Google voice with a different number. Basically setting up a voip number that they can scam other people from.

I figured it out and got it fixed before they could do anything with it.

I am on the "Do Not Call" registry and have been for over a decade. I have filed hundreds of reports and complaints on almost every unsolicited call and text I received for over 6 months. And when it didn't seem to make a difference I contacted every .gov office I could regarding telemarketers. Every single office said the same thing, "If you don't want unsolicited calls turn your phone off".

Then I found a solution that seems to work pretty well and is older tech than most of us here. I recorded the first part of the 70's disconnected tone, the three ascending tones, followed by my normal voicemail message. Then I turned my ringer off for a day, let everything go to voicemail and the calls slowed.

A person will hear the tone but before they can react and hang up they hear my voice so they think it is just a glitch. But the robocallers react and instantly hang up. The best part is it seems as though when one robocaller thinks my number has been disconnected I get removed from the a lot of the other "active" call lists, reducing the calls even more.

One day I decided to test it so I answered every single telemarketer call I could. Normally they start around 8 am. One, then two, then more and more. Within 3-4 hours I was receiving a call at least every 10 minutes so I know they share data. I was even on the phone with one when two other telemarketers called. In a single hour I had received over 20 calls about a myriad of things from health insurance to auto warranties. Then I turned my ringer off and let the calls go to voicemail. Within 30 minutes the calls slowed enough to notice and by morning the calls pretty much stopped. I still get a few every couple of days but I think those are just random because my wife gets them first followed by me, our phone numbers are close and hers is lower.

But be warned if you EVER answer another telemarketer call you have to start over.

But be warned if you EVER answer another telemarketer call you have to start over.

This right here. If you don’t want scammer calls, stop answering calls from unknown numbers, and they will stop. I was getting them every day, then I just stopped answering. I now get one or two a month, and I still don’t answer them. If it’s important, they’ll leave a message. If it’s not important, I didn’t want to talk to them anyway.

I don't answer any numbers I don't know anymore, but I used to answer one every now and then. Almost invariably it would be a dead line. Nobody / nothing there. I just don't understand how that could be some kinda scam if they don't actually try to scam you when you answer. Are they hacking the info off my phone or what?

I don't answer any numbers I don't know anymore, but I used to answer one every now and then. Almost invariably it would be a dead line. Nobody / nothing there. I just don't understand how that could be some kinda scam if they don't actually try to scam you when you answer. Are they hacking the info off my phone or what?

Sometimes all they want to know is that its a working number and possibly (depending on the scope) your specific number.

We’re Cajun, so I just have my kid answer the phone speaking French. They don’t know what hit ‘em.

Years ago I read the computer dials multiple numbers at once. When one is answered, the others go dead.

Once while in a short hospital stay, I got a call from one of the phone companies trying to sell me phone service for hospital room telephone I answered on.

I couldn’t believe it, I thought it was a friend playing a joke, but they were serious.

The same gov who professes that they will protect us from violent crime and this country's enemies, can't stop a telemarketer
    This ^^. The mother fuckers are far too busy throwing mud at each other and maneuvering to gain/retain power to actually do something to benefit the citizens like.....yes, actually stop robocalls.

For the past year, I know get robocalls in fucking Chinese. FFS

And these shitheads in Congress wonder why only low 30% of the voting population approves of their performance.