• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Feedback Scammer alert! Someone created an account with ' at the end of my name

chungus

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2022
Texas
I had some dies listed for sale. Someone posted they would take them and then a scammer created an account with the same avatar and my username with a ' at the end of it. I am chungus this scam account is chungus' They then messaged the buyer asking for payment.

As a buyer always make sure that the username matches exactly to that of the one on the item listed for sale. Also look at the rating % and feedback numbers. These scam accounts are brand new and have 0% for the rating and 0's across the board on feedback numbers.

Also as a buyer you are a lot safer if you message the seller yourself first before even posting "I will take it" in the for sale thread. This closes the window of opportunity for the scammer.

This seems like it is becoming a big problem on here.

F0F4529B-BB54-43E1-B10E-E2975DE6818E.png

47873F31-7C91-40F8-B87D-DFC05F9F0940.png

Make sure you report it before everyone blows you up and tells you how stupid you are… seems to be the theme here

Make sure you report it before everyone blows you up and tells you how stupid you are… seems to be the theme here
Stupid or not, this has been going on here for a atleast a couple months now. Most people are aware of it. It helps to be a bit more observant.

Removing punctuation symbols from usernames would seem to fix at least a few issues.. Or just PM the seller directly if you're buying/interested.

Removing punctuation symbols from usernames would seem to fix at least a few issues.. Or just PM the seller directly if you're buying/interested.
Definitely. There are things admins could do to help alleviate this.

No punctuation allowed in usernames

Accounts must be active for 24 hours before being allowed to send PMs.

A sticky warning about this common scam

Going forward I am going to put something in all my for sale ads about it and to tell buyers to contact me directly. Ultimately all this is the responsibility of the users to take adequate steps to avoid fraud but when things like this are running rampant it undermines the great thing we have going here.

Look. Just in Lowlight Directive’s alone, these are the first two screens for me.

1706917878697.jpeg

1706917935379.jpeg

There have been so many warnings posted. At least weekly.

And to repeat for those that don’t bother reading anything but the for sale ads, this is a forum for people to commune with the common interest of long range shooting. It provides the members with the courtesy to buy and sell items…AT THEIR OWN RISK.

There is zero obligation to treat this like a protected safe space. We are adults and should conduct ourselves as if we are dealing with people we don’t know, because that’s exactly what’s happening 99% of the time. This is not kindergarten.

Nothing personal, just something I find has to be posted at least once a week or people think this is Gimbals. 😁😉

Reactions: Islander
I've noticed the scammers have been hot today making accounts. Latest is @redneckbmxer24.

The worst part is the faggot just wrote “supporter” in the profile and didn’t even pay for the badge. It would be great if they started paying Frank memberships to make their scam accounts and then getting banned after giving the site $20 😂

Look. Just in Lowlight Directive’s alone, these are the first two screens for me.

View attachment 8339446

View attachment 8339447

There have been so many warnings posted. At least weekly.

And to repeat for those that don’t bother reading anything but the for sale ads, this is a forum for people to commune with the common interest of long range shooting. It provides the members with the courtesy to buy and sell items…AT THEIR OWN RISK.

There is zero obligation to treat this like a protected safe space. We are adults and should conduct ourselves as if we are dealing with people we don’t know, because that’s exactly what’s happening 99% of the time. This is not kindergarten.

Nothing personal, just something I find has to be posted at least once a week or people think this is Gimbals. 😁😉

I honestly had never looked at the lowlight directives until you posted this. I agree totally with what you are saying though and it is everyone's responsibility to do their own due diligence. For those that don't read every subforum on this site it wouldn't hurt to have these scammer best practices stickied in the buy sell section?

I honestly had never looked at the lowlight directives until you posted this. I agree totally with what you are saying though and it is everyone's responsibility to do their own due diligence. For those that don't read every subforum on this site it wouldn't hurt to have these scammer best practices stickied in the buy sell section?
Maybe. But again this is a forum by a shooter for shooters, not just a buy/sell forum. I just lead the horses to water. 😁

First time on the internet?

Going forward I am going to put something in all my for sale ads about it and to tell buyers to contact me directly. Ultimately all this is the responsibility of the users to take adequate steps to avoid fraud but when things like this are running rampant it undermines the great thing we have going here.
Posting I'LL TAKE IT IS THE CAUSE OF ALL SCAMS.