• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Feedback SCAM ALERT!! PLEASE READ AND SHARE: SCAMMER: "Benjamin Sanchez"

brettb614

Geriatric gunslinger
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 25, 2017
    Ohio
    5/18/24

I am sending a detailed account of a scam attempt on myself and another snipers hide member experienced this morning so pardon the lengthy post. I'm including these details to help others so they don't fall for these types of scams. It's very important you evaluate the language used. If the message is you receive seem to be non-native English speakers use caution. Also make sure you cross reference the information you receive with the information you've already sent on snipers hide. ALWAYS VERIFY!

I had a scam attempt this morning. I private messaged a member (@txbass97) last night to make a purchase. I sent him a PM with my phone number and address like I always do. BE AWARE "@txbass97" IS NOT THE SCAMMER. Don't get confused. The scammer does not have a SnipersHide handle then I'm aware of, he was using the SH member's handle to try and rip me off. @txbass97 was unaware of the scam until I spoke with him this morning.

Anyhow, I received a text this morning requesting payment from the scammer listed below asking me for shipping info, which I thought was strange since I already sent it in a PM last night (and his command of the English language seemed off) so I messaged the seller on SH and he confirmed he wasn't the one texting me. So somehow this scammer got into @txbass97 private messages (or mine) and was able to get my phone number out of the private message. Be careful, they're getting more crafty in ripping folks off. The scammer screenshot the images from the original post and texted them to me to try and fool me. Luckily I use multiple verification such as requesting first and last name, requesting pics that are not on the post and I usually like to do a phone call as well. The scammer didn't answer when I called and refused to take a call saying he was in a meeting. FYI, this post has been made with the permission of @txbass97 (the seller). Look for his feedback post as well.

Has anyone heard of scammers getting into PMs? Please let everyone know, this is the first I've heard of it.

**MODERATORS: I AM NOT REPORTING @txbass97, HE IS ALSO A VICTIM OF THIS SCAM ATTEMPT, NOT THE SCAMMER, SO PLEASE DO NOT SANCTION @txbass97.
    IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO MESSAGE ME BEFORE TAKING ACTION IF YOU'RE UNCLEAR OF THE DETAILS. BE AWARE SCAMMERS ARE MONITORING PRIVATE MESSAGING.**

Screenshots attached. Thanks for reading. Use caution fellas.

Scammer info:

Scammer claimed name:
    Benjamin Sanchez

Scammer claimed PayPal account: [email protected]

Scammer's phone he texted from:
    315-690-8896

Scammer claimed place of residence:
    Austin, Texas

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240418-083914.png
      Screenshot_20240418-083914.png
      810.9 KB · Views: 162
    • Screenshot_20240418-081651.png
      Screenshot_20240418-081651.png
      1.3 MB · Views: 168
    • Screenshot_20240418-080749.png
      Screenshot_20240418-080749.png
      1.3 MB · Views: 161
    • Screenshot_20240418-080652.png
      Screenshot_20240418-080652.png
      789.8 KB · Views: 161
    A similar scam happened to me a few months ago. I pm'd a seller about a scope and something was off when the payment info didn't match the name in the OP's thread. I asked for other verification and if he can hop on a call, experienced the same thing as you, " I'm busy at the moment".

Shortly after, he was banned. Then a week later, the real member reached back out and acknowledge that his account was hacked and that the scammer reached out to few others in his DM. I'm glad I didn't send money but always try to chat on the phone if you feel like something is off.

Stay vigilant on here

Interesting, had an attempt yesterday as well. I posted an “I’ll take it” in a listing for a Gray Ops Mag and I followed up with a PM like I always do. I got a text asking claiming to be the seller and asking me for my shipping info as well. I told him my address was in the PM I sent him. I then asked how he got my number because I didn’t put my number in my PM to the seller and the text message said he got it from my profile… lol. Anyway, watch out guys.
    IMG_7549.jpeg

5/18/24

I am sending a detailed account of a scam attempt on myself and another snipers hide member experienced this morning so pardon the lengthy post. I'm including these details to help others so they don't fall for these types of scams. It's very important you evaluate the language used. If the message is you receive seem to be non-native English speakers use caution. Also make sure you cross reference the information you receive with the information you've already sent on snipers hide. ALWAYS VERIFY!

I had a scam attempt this morning. I private messaged a member (@txbass97) last night to make a purchase. I sent him a PM with my phone number and address like I always do. BE AWARE "@txbass97" IS NOT THE SCAMMER. Don't get confused. The scammer does not have a SnipersHide handle then I'm aware of, he was using the SH member's handle to try and rip me off. @txbass97 was unaware of the scam until I spoke with him this morning.

Anyhow, I received a text this morning requesting payment from the scammer listed below asking me for shipping info, which I thought was strange since I already sent it in a PM last night (and his command of the English language seemed off) so I messaged the seller on SH and he confirmed he wasn't the one texting me. So somehow this scammer got into @txbass97 private messages (or mine) and was able to get my phone number out of the private message. Be careful, they're getting more crafty in ripping folks off. The scammer screenshot the images from the original post and texted them to me to try and fool me. Luckily I use multiple verification such as requesting first and last name, requesting pics that are not on the post and I usually like to do a phone call as well. The scammer didn't answer when I called and refused to take a call saying he was in a meeting. FYI, this post has been made with the permission of @txbass97 (the seller). Look for his feedback post as well.

Has anyone heard of scammers getting into PMs? Please let everyone know, this is the first I've heard of it.

**MODERATORS: I AM NOT REPORTING @txbass97, HE IS ALSO A VICTIM OF THIS SCAM ATTEMPT, NOT THE SCAMMER, SO PLEASE DO NOT SANCTION @txbass97.
    IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO MESSAGE ME BEFORE TAKING ACTION IF YOU'RE UNCLEAR OF THE DETAILS. BE AWARE SCAMMERS ARE MONITORING PRIVATE MESSAGING.**

Scammer info:

Scammer claimed name:
    Benjamin Sanchez

315-690-8896

Austin, Texas

Is the number that listed on the business website in your profile the number he texted you at? If so, that's how he got it.

Pretty common. They will look for any angle to contact you and use it.

Interesting, had an attempt yesterday as well. I posted an “I’ll take it” in a listing for a Gray Ops Mag and I followed up with a PM like I always do. I got a text asking claiming to be the seller and asking me for my shipping info as well. I told him my address was in the PM I sent him. I then asked how he got my number because I didn’t put my number in my PM to the seller and the text message said he got it from my profile… lol. Anyway, watch out guys.View attachment 8399265

Here's how he found your number. A simple search with your screen name and keywords like "call" "number" etc etc.

Reactions: brettb614
    Is the number that listed on the business website in your profile the number he texted you at? If so, that's how he got it.

number

Yes it was, good call. I revised it accordingly. Thanks

This has happened several times in last month or so it seems. Should be easy to combat though. If you don’t give your number there’s no reason they should contact you.

Reactions: dlouie87 and Fitz
    that's dirty.. A Dirty Sanchez ... ;)
    on another note.. fk scammers, hangem

Reactions: tinker
    Ok, let me see if my reading comprehension is working today. The OP had at some point in the past, put his phone number in a post made in a thread anyone could see and that’s how the scammer got his number; the scammer did not get it from a PM? Please correct me if I’m wrong.

And yes, scammers deserve a slow and very painful death, hanging is too fast. I think the Apaches in Arizona had a better way to get their point across; drag such a person through several cholla cactuses and then stake them to a red ant mound. Today we could set up a time lapse camera and post what happens over time with the caption, “I scammed thousands of people, I was caught, and this was my fate”. The recording would stop when only a skeleton remained. I’m not prone to such violence, but the out of control scamming drives me there.

With all these scams going on, some DH get bent out of shape when I ask custom pictures.

This is exactly why I didn’t post “I’ll take it” in his thread.. Instead went straight to pm on it… getting very common lately.

Last edited:
    Reactions: jollibee and Fitz
    5/18/24

Scammer info:

Scammer claimed name:
    Benjamin Sanchez

315-690-8896

Austin, Texas

You and the other guy just learned how you got scammed. Another member was screaming about a breach last week and that his email wasn't here and it took me two seconds to look at his posts and find the one from 2020 where he posted his email.

ALL MEMBERS: DO NOT POST YOUR PHONE NUMBERS OR EMAILS IN POSTS OR PROFILES!!!! YOU FORGET AND THE SCAMMERS FIND IT AND USE IT. ALSO IF YOU PM A SELLER DO NOT ANSWER A RANDOM TEXT OR EMAIL. KEEP ALL CORRESPONDENCE ON THE SITE AND DON'T POST "I'LL TAKE IT" IN A FOR SALE POST.

5/18/24

Scammer info:

Scammer claimed name:
    Benjamin Sanchez

315-690-8896

Austin, Texas
    Hate to say it but the more we post things on how we catch them, the more they learn what not to do to get caught…
    I think the best advice for all is use common since and your gutt. Try to Keep everything pm don’t post your number anywhere.

Hate to say it but the more we post things on how we catch them, the more they learn what not to do to get caught…
    I think the best advice for all is use common since and your gutt. Try to Keep everything pm don’t post your number anywhere.
    I disagree. The more we expose them the more we become educated to be aware. I do agree with minimal personal info used though. I went through and scrubbed mine

I had a similar experience and here’s the scammers email [email protected], he wanted me to send the funds to his PayPal account and this scumbag number is 858-440-8338. This MF try to scam me by requesting funds sent to him but I verified like you said and detected this scammer so I gave him the full despicable scammers low life loser layout. I hope everybody is aware of this POF. report this MF right away
    Just a quick look at your most recent posts; you have listed your number + the city you live in. You are making yourself an easy target..... I would that advise you remove those from the public forum and move to DMs next time you want to contact someone.

I had a similar experience and here’s the scammers email [email protected], he wanted me to send the funds to his PayPal account and this scumbag number is 858-440-8338. This MF try to scam me by requesting funds sent to him but I verified like you said and detected this scammer so I gave him the full despicable scammers low life loser layout. I hope everybody is aware of this POF. report this MF right away
    You're the one who looks sketchy.
    Send me a PM saying you ALMOST GOT SCAMMED after you already came here saying he took your money.

Your profile is 3 weeks old and you have no feedback. 🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩

Screenshot_20240419_194732_Chrome.jpg

I was scammed by someone using the name under999 saying he was selling a Hawkins bottom metal and I saw your post replying to it and I wondered if he responded to you. Yes, I’m new to this SH website that’s why I’m being targeted for scams. I am the victim here
    You are being scammed because you left your number up on a public site attempting to buy something..... :rolleyes:. Your name, city and phone number is public info at the moment

I really appreciate my hide brothers. Doing a quick search to show others what their vulnerabilities are is spot on. I know it helped me to realize something that's so simple but effective, so I could scrub my profile and history, so thanks to everyone who commented on this post. Important work being done.

Some guys if you don't do public "I will take it" they won't sell it to you. STUPID to say the least.
    Unfortunately.. I guess until that isn’t the case, we get to deal with more “I got scammed” posts in the classifieds..

I agree. Posting "I'll take it" on the public sale ad does nothing but draw unwanted attention from scammers. If someone won't sell to me because I PMd instead of public posted, they can sell to someone else. I am now also requesting that the seller doesn't post publicly who the buyer was.

Reactions: Ewhite80 and Hopar