• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCAR 16S Review and pictures

Sgt. 0811

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2005
Aurora, CO
Introduction
I have been heavily debating buying a Bushmaster ACR or SCAR 16S. The fact is, I've been a long time AR-15 advocate and have owned at least one since 1993. I served, qualified and competed with the AR15 over the years. Currently I own two of them. Every now and then a rifle hits the market that challenges the AR platform. After some reading, examining or shooting I usually just cross them off my list. In my humble opinion I haven't seen a worthy contender for the black gun which has reached its pinnacle peak of evolution. Until now.
Two rifles recently hit the market which caught my attention. The first, the Bushmaster ACR, the second the FNH SCAR. When I handled the two rifles side by side I instantly put my focus to the SCAR. One, it's lighter. Two, it is so well balanced I felt like I could hold the gun steady at a standing position for a long time. Obviously I did my homework on both rifles. The ACR seemed to get a lot of mixed reviews but most owners seemed to like the rifle. The SCAR seemed to have about 98 to 99 percent positive feedback. I took a chance and went for the SCAR.
I picked the gun the up on Friday, it made for a long drive home. The rifle ships in a cardboard box and comes with a manual, 1 magazine, and the "never gonna use it" lock. Sad packaging in general especially for FNH. It's not like FN has no idea how to sell high end guns. This is the same company that ships the FNP-45 (half the price of the SCAR) with the best "feebee" case I've ever seen and 3 15 round mags.
IMG_0466.jpg

Stock
The stock has a rubber padding on the butt plate for grip, 6 position length adjustment, which, fully extended is surprisingly long. The cheek piece adjusts in 2 positions and is very comfortable and of course it folds and locks for transportation. It's not the most solid stock I've ever handled but again, very comfortable. When I fired the rifle there was no movement or play in the stock.
IMG_0469.jpg

Sights
These sights I would not consider BUIS. These are excellent sights that happen to fold away. The rear is adjustable in windage and elevation with both large and small peeps. The clicks are nice and positive. These sights do not block any peripheral vision. Very nice feature. The front sight is adjustable in elevation in the exact manner of an AR15 sight, but the front sight is also adjustable in windage for a true BZO, and of course both easily fold away.
IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

Controls
The selector lever is ambidextrous and larger for right handed shooters, lefties get the smaller lever. The selector switch is very positive and only an 1/8th rotation unlike the AR15 1/4 turn. It does feel plasticy.. plasticee.. is that a word? Anyway. The bolt catch is in the same place as the AR15 and is not ambidextrous, however, the magazine release is. The charging handle is a reciprocating charging handle and can be switched easily either right or left. There is a two position switch on the gas block as well
IMG_0467.jpg

Trigger
The trigger feels like a two stage AR15 trigger, it is nice and smooth with very little overtravel. Unlike other recent FN designs the SCAR trigger is made of mostly metal. It is not and AR15 trigger. I like the SCAR trigger but I'm not real picky with triggers in the first place.

Barrel
1 in 7 twist, thin chrome lined barrel with a PWS Muzzle brake/flash hider… from what I understand it does both. The barrel is held in place by 6 sequential torque screws that are specified for 65 inch lbs. From what I understand barrel change can be done in less than 5 min. Obviously you need a torque wrench and Torx bits to do it.
IMG_0468.jpg

Disassembly
This was fun, It reminds me of a 249 SAW when taking it apart. 1 take down pin in the front of the lower receiver and move the lower forward and down. The stock slips down and off. The recoil spring is removed by holding it and moving the charging handle slightly rearward. Slide the charging handle all the way back and remove the charging handle itself. Slide the bold carrier out the back and done. The bolt is removed from the carrier by first removing the firing pin retaining pin, the firing pin the bolt pin and then bolt.
IMG_0471.jpg

Shooting
I ran about 100 rounds through the SCAR. The first thing I noticed is the recoil or lack there of. It feels like an AR15 with a heavy suppressor. You can keep the sights on target the whole time making fast fire very accurate. I did have to be very aware of where my hand was. If you grip the rifle by the magazine well, odds are you will get your thumb smacked by the charging handle. I experienced no malfunctions of any kind. The bolt carrier group has a lot of mass inside the gun you can feel it move as each round is fired. It’s a very smooth motion. Spent cases are very consistently ejected. I expected the PWS muzzle brake to send a little blast back to the shooter, this was not at all the case. I did not fire the rifle with the stock folded, (I’m not on the A-Team). I know it works well, I just have no need to do it. It is tempting to do a lot of fast fire drills. The trigger reset is nice audible clunk.
Accuracy was a little hard to judge since I was firing at poppers at 75 yards. I did BZO the rifle at 28 yards first. It was very easy to get head shots at the 75 yard targets and altering between head and chest seemed quick. I am going to wait to do a formal accuracy test. I have a NF 1x4 on lay away I plan to put on the rifle.
SCAR.jpg

Cleaning
What cleaning? Did I fire this thing? I don’t think I’ve had so little cleaning on a gun since my Benelli M1 Super 90.

Negatives
As I said before the packaging sucks for the price of a rifle. Magpul grips do need be modified with a dremel to fit the rifle. Magpul P mags will cause damage to the Scar’s bolt unless modified. There currently no real options for a QD sling. The price is big, I got lucky but I still paid quite a bit. Lucky being under 2000.00.

Positives
Light. Well balanced. Fast. Excellent sights (bout time someone but some real irons on a rifle instead of cheaping out completely or sending some cheap ass BUIS) extremely fun to shoot. (as far as I can tell, as accurate as any M4 I’ve used, more to come on that)

Impressions
My impressions of the SCAR so far are excellent. I have been looking for a new “go to” gun for a while and the SCAR fits that billet like the favorite tee shirt. The balance and handling of the rifle are outstanding. The build quality is excellent. FNH has really paid close attention of what people have been doing with AR platforms, what Marines, Soldiers and Sailors want in the field, and have done very well in putting it all together. I know I compare the SCAR to an AR15 but the truth is they are two completely different animals that share ergonomics and use. The AR15 remains to be the much more versatile platform with so many calibers, accessories, and setups. While the SCAR seems to pull it’s design principal from the SAW, the SCAR looks to be extremely reliable and is sinfully fun to shoot. So, if you are bored with AR15s as I am, I recommend looking into the FNH rifle.

Re: SCAR 16S Review and pictures

How can you call it a review without an accuracy test? That's what people really want to know. 75yds max range fired? No trigger pull numbers? Only 100 rds through it? Nice to know P-Mags doesn't work well, but really... this is more a toy show than a "review."

Thanks for taking the time to do your review. FN makes some cool stuff but they are always damn $$$ proud of it!

I would assume the OP didnt buy his SCAR 16 to try to punch out small groups @ 100yds... I know I bought my LWRC just to play around with while i use my GAP make the little holes.

OP Great review of your 16s, if my ass wasnt stuck in Egypt i would be looking at picking one up.

Monty

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Archer762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How can you call it a review without an accuracy test? That's what people really want to know. 75yds max range fired? No trigger pull numbers? Only 100 rds through it? Nice to know P-Mags doesn't work well, but really... this is more a toy show than a "review."</div></div>

please dont take offense, but you Sir is a dipshit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Archer762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How can you call it a review without an accuracy test? That's what people really want to know. 75yds max range fired? No trigger pull numbers? Only 100 rds through it? Nice to know P-Mags doesn't work well, but really... this is more a toy show than a "review."</div></div>

Not sure if you noticed but its a battle rifle and he is using open sights!!! was it minute of a man i bet so!! i am not a "operator" but if i was in a battle situation i would bet that the number one requirement i would want is RELIABILITY.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Archer762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How can you call it a review without an accuracy test? That's what people really want to know. 75yds max range fired? No trigger pull numbers? Only 100 rds through it? Nice to know P-Mags doesn't work well, but really... this is more a toy show than a "review." </div></div>

I also prefer my free product reviews be structured exactly as I would want them, way to chastise this guy for daring to post a review of his rifle without adhering to all of your personal requirements.
Take this as a lesson learned, you get what you pay for...

Thanks for spending the coin so I don't have to. Good review, and better response.

Thanks for the write up and well done!

I'll be anxious to hear your impressions after some additional shooting (especially once you get the 1-4x NF mounted up/zeroed in).

Not telling me anything I didn't already know :) I've been lucky to have owned one for the last year. Other than that it was a nice read with good picks! Thanks and keep us updated since I haven't had a chance to do an accuracy test myself :-(

John

Nice write up Sgt. regardless of what the review police say
wink.gif

I've had mine for almost a year and enjoy the hell out of it.
The recoil or lack there of is great ! Whenever I let someone try the Scar out they take two shots then turn smiling and say "Why's the recoil so light !"
As for the Pmags they do work. To keep them from bumping the bolt it honestly takes a whooping 10 seconds to file a small 1/8" triangle section flat on the back of the mags. There's a great picture tutorial on another forum, Very simple.
I have a Aimpoint CompM4 with the 3x magnifier and just ordered a new scope to go on my R700, So I'll move that 4-16x50 PST over to the Scar for some accuracy testing also when I get some time.
345br6x.jpg

I stand by my complaint- the "review" is just an <span style="font-style: italic">unboxing</span>, and contains virtually no info I couldn't have found on the FN site, other than the PMAG info. A "review" should be a <span style="font-weight: bold">re</span>view, as in looking back after extensive use and testing. Sorry I'm not going to pat the guy on the back for taking it out of the box and firing less than 4 mags through it. Sorry your egos are so fragile you can't take a little honest criticism.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Archer762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I stand by my complaint- the "review" is just an <span style="font-style: italic">unboxing</span>, and contains virtually no info I couldn't have found on the FN site, other than the PMAG info. A "review" should be a <span style="font-weight: bold">re</span>view, as in looking back after extensive use and testing. Sorry I'm not going to pat the guy on the back for taking it out of the box and firing less than 4 mags through it. Sorry your egos are so fragile you can't take a little honest criticism.</div></div>

What a dick. The worst kind too---one that doesn't get it the first time when told something is rude.

From dic[K]tionary.com
Review
–noun
1. a critical article or report, as in a periodical, on a book, play, recital, or the like; critique; evaluation.

-Nope, nothing about the number of mags that must be fired or accuracy testing. What do ya know.

Thanks for the review SGT. I've been eyeballing the scar 16 for a while, I think I still prefer the M4 but something about the design and folding stock appeals to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Archer762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I stand by my complaint- the "review" is just an <span style="font-style: italic">unboxing</span>, and contains virtually no info I couldn't have found on the FN site, other than the PMAG info. A "review" should be a <span style="font-weight: bold">re</span>view, as in looking back after extensive use and testing. Sorry I'm not going to pat the guy on the back for taking it out of the box and firing less than 4 mags through it. Sorry your egos are so fragile you can't take a little honest criticism. </div></div>

Sure, don't pat him on the back, but you could simply shut the hell up and move on...
Your idea of what something should be is great, my idea of your criticism is you are trolling and need to keep that to yourself.
It's not about fragile egos, it's about tact. There is your way which show zero tact nor acknowledgment of the information shared, for free I might add.
Then there is what you could have REQUESTED, which would go something like this:

Wow, thanks for the shake down, do you have any plans to do some accuracy testing? I'd love to here some info on that? Maybe some groups to post?

This is what's call being polite... as opposed to being an ungrateful ass who feels entitled to information you don't have to pay for or gather yourself.

Though I'm sure in everyday life you react well when you do something for enjoyment, share it then get some jerk you don't know telling you how you didn't do it right.

I think I'm going to get one this summer, just cant decide between the 16S and the 17S. When I get my SBR stamp back I'll have 3 ar's.... 10.5", 16" and 20". Which makes me lean more towards the 17S to break it up. That being said the 16S would be cheaper to load for and I can press out .223 by the hundreds.... Damn I hate decisions!

What is the AR equivalent rail length on the SCAR? It looks short to me both on this and the heavy. It does not appear to lend itself to a particularly long sight radius for irons shooting or for a forward hold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Archer762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I stand by my complaint- the "review" is just an <span style="font-style: italic">unboxing</span>, and contains virtually no info I couldn't have found on the FN site, other than the PMAG info. A "review" should be a <span style="font-weight: bold">re</span>view, as in looking back after extensive use and testing. Sorry I'm not going to pat the guy on the back for taking it out of the box and firing less than 4 mags through it. Sorry your egos are so fragile you can't take a little honest criticism.</div></div>

and I stand by my assesment of you Archer, youre a dipshit, but have added to my observation that your a deuche as well. please dont take offense to that

Heres an idea- shut the fuck up!!! if you don't like it go buy one and do your own review and show us how its done.

Did you ever stop and think that maybe he would be alittle less bias than the marketing department from FN?

why choose the scar over the acr? the reciprocating C/H, AR triggers and presumed modular caliber choices made my decision for the acr

Thanks for the review. It mean's more that you covered the stuff that actually matters in this particular style of firearm.

My question is on the perceived durability of the lower receiver. Is there any flex in it at all, or is it some sort of hard cast polymer that is prone to cracking in the extremities? I live in the desert, and would want to spend that much on a rifle that will likely break the first time I take it out into the hot sands with me. I'm not gentle with my tool's/toy's.

Been trying to find one locally, but no such luck. A lot of ACR's though.

Who the hell are you to criticize what the OP does as a review? Are you in advertising? Are you an editor in print? You sure as shit sound like one. Go grab yourself a mocha-latte or whatever the f you call it and "review" some fishing rods or over-under shotguns for field&stream douchebag.

What the hell is it with all these shiite talking new guys coming around here on the hide? "Technically a review should be...." STFU, go run your suck somewhere else.

Nice review bro. Been eyeballin' a SCAR Heavy for a long time.

AtOne, I have that same South Africa picture on the left in your picture in my home as well. I do not have a scar though.

Just thought you should know.

If you don't mind me asking. Where did you find it under 2k? I really need to find one and fire it.

Nice review. Do you think that the "lack of recoil" is more of a result of the PWS muzzle break vs the A2 flashhider on the M4 or is it just a more efficient design?

To answer some questions. The rail length is a little shorter, the sight radius is the same as an m4. The lower seems to be very durable. This gun was bought and fired by a friend of mine, who decided he needed a Barrett 82 a week later. He was selling both an acr and a scar for very good prices. To look at the acr, I really like that rifle I love the bolt catch and quick change barrel but when it comes down to it, i felt like it shoulders just like an m4, a little nose heavy, and the scar has similar ar ergos but it feels completely different in the shoulder, it's much lighter and better balanced. I love the idea of the reciprocating charging handle. Sometimes a gun just feels right, that was the case here. I would still like an acr I think they are brilliantly designed.
I do think the pws has a lot to do with the recoil reduction but I think the action is little more responsible. The bolt carrier is pretty hefty and I can't feel it smack back, more like a rocking motion.

On and the sights are a tad taller than an ar15. I don't care for that so much but fn likes to do that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadnbrkn84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I'm going to get one this summer, just cant decide between the 16S and the 17S. When I get my SBR stamp back I'll have 3 ar's.... 10.5", 16" and 20". Which makes me lean more towards the 17S to break it up. That being said the 16S would be cheaper to load for and I can press out .223 by the hundreds.... Damn I hate decisions! </div></div>

you're crazy broham you should sell all 3 AR's, buy an LMT MRP with 3 barrels and save yourself 1500$ or so.

Then you can ditch that PST and buy yourself a Razor.

The PWS muzzle brake plays a big role in recoil reduction. Recently installed one on my ACR and now its shooting like my Scar. Also i run pmags in both the rifles and never had any problems.

The first time I pulled the trigger on a SCAR it peeled my thumb nail off, not a big fan of the reciprocating charging handle. Other than that I really like the SCAR I even put a PWS on my AR.

Archer762 I'm not sure what more of an accuracy report you want

"You can keep the sights on target the whole time making fast fire very accurate"

" It was very easy to get head shots at the 75 yard targets and altering between head and chest seemed quick"

Thats what the SCAR was designed for not benchrest. I thing VAjayjay said it best.

Yeah Archer762, you are a douche bag. Please go post your bullshit on another forum.

The review was a nice read, thanks SGT. You made similar points to why I bought the scar 16 also. Its something different and its a blast to shoot, no pun intended. I have ACOG TA31 on mine and its great, though I would love to get a NF 2.5-10x24, but I have no extra cash... Looking forward to another review.

Been looking at the SCAR also. Thanks for the review! I appreciate first hand experience from owners versus mag writeups which always seem to have a bias.

Thanks for taking the time Sgt. I appreciate the pics also. I've been looking at those,.......

Thanks for the just out of the box review, '0811. You have me interested in the SCAR 16 now. I like the idea of a low recoil semiauto for hunting coyotes, which give you few opportunities for follow up shots if you miss the first time. I wish you mentioned the weight, now I gotta go look it up!

Thanks for the write up.

and archer, what do you shoot and would you care to do a write up of it?

Thanks again guys.. I may try to get up to the range today or tomorrow if it's nots raining. I will see if I can get some paper groups going.

I like your style on how you deal with pests.lol
All the others have your back on that so I'll just stick with slings.

I started with a VTAC running a HK hook forward & rear. It adjusts fast & slick but being that I have a distrust for HK hooks and how badly they eat the loops on M240B & M249 sling points of similar design as the SCAR, that was a short lived stop gap. If you were to choose that, IMO, it should be a short lived process & in hind sight if I paid for the things, I'd use at a minimum 550cord loops through the FN eyelets & then run my sling webbing through them & then weave it into the triglides.

Blue Force Gear has a new dedicated convertible 2/1 point sling geared specifically for the SCAR family. If it's not on the site yet it should be shortly and is worth a call. It uses a QD push button up front & one of their UWL on the rear point. As I stated it is a 2/1 sling so you can unbutton the QD swivel from the rail & attach it to a socket on the sling webbing fully transferring it to a single point if need be. I've been busy the last few months & I haven't had the opportunity to run my sample yet. I have high hopes for it as all my other BFG products have functioned virtually flawlessly.

I have had good luck with a Magpul MS2 and RSA combo on the SCARs. I prefer to attach my RSA to the aft of the 6 o'clock rail vs the side rails. This drops the connection point for the forward sling clamp low enough that I have no interference with operating or the function of the reciprocating charging handle. I prefer my forward sling point to be as close to the mag well as possible. This allows me the most freedom of movement in transitioning shooting positions and the least oportunity to foul my weapon manipulation or malfunction clearance procedures by getting tied up or restricted because of the sling. The down side to this particular rig is that it's occasionally difficult to make length adjustments on the go. I've not figured out a rhyme or reason why. FWIW I rarely find myself needing to make radical adjustments though since my kit is pretty much always the same anymore and I've always preferred to roll with any of my slings adjusted loose enough that I could hit a quick prone position without choking myself out.

My selector lever took some getting use to. Admittedly I don't put much of any time on the BUIS. I am actually on the verge of stripping the rears off & replacing with a KAC 300m or 600m so I'm not fighting for real estate with the giant thumb wheels when mounting magnified optics. I also have moved to change over to lower mounts for my red dots to work against the height over bore & semi chin weld that I felt I was getting with standard height mounts.

I take a the comments on other sites about PMAGS and standard STANAG magazines being a detriment to the system with a very large grain of internet salt. Is it needed. . . Is it helpfulI. . . I don't know but I do believe that it is compromising the structural integrity of the spine of the magazine. History seems to show that that is the weak point of PMAGs so. . . [shrug]
I know of a sample of a couple of guns which have run for well over 10K using unmodified PMAGS almost exclusively and they show no signs of the eminent death that is much lamented at certain URLs. Wear is wear. Some dudes don't like to see marks on their guns so they line them up against the wall for photo ops & then put them back in the safe. What can you say.

As for the A-Team, they left me out too but I've been a part of mag dump after mag dump with the stock folded & the switch on happy setting while the system was still under development and only one guy was making it choke.
I'm interested in seeing your paper results. I've seen some borderline mediocre and then some excellent results with MK262.

Good luck & keep up the good work. Be careful out at AGC.

Figured I'd post a photo showing the modification to the PMAG's to give you an idea of how little of material is removed. The pen is pointed at the filed part of the mag, with an unmodified PMAG below it.
wqonzm.jpg

Here's a great tutorial with pictures to go along with the modification and why its needed.

http://fnforum.net/problems-with-pmags-and-how-to-fix-them-pmag-bolt-c-t25272.html

After you "modify" it, will that mag still works on a regular AR?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Figured I'd post a photo showing the modification to the PMAG's to give you an idea of how little of material is removed. The pen is pointed at the filed part of the mag, with an unmodified PMAG below it.
wqonzm.jpg

Here's a great tutorial with pictures to go along with the modification and why its needed.

http://fnforum.net/problems-with-pmags-and-how-to-fix-them-pmag-bolt-c-t25272.html
</div></div>

Worked in my friends Colt MT and read that they work fine in other AR brands as well.

Thanks for taking the time to post the positives and negatives in regards to your new rifle.

Good to know about the Pmags as well.

Cheers!