• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Scar 17 500yd optic

Cs68

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2019
Livonia, MI
New to the forum, but lurked in the shadows for a while. Replacing a viper pst 1-4, the new glass will be set in an adm delta mount.
Debating whether a 1-6/8 would be the perfect fit, or kick up the magnification. Trying to keep my optics budget to about $1k.
Secondary option is, pull the Mark 4 4.5-14 off my r700, and use that, then upgrade it's optics.

Viper pst G2 2-10
NF shv 4-14 F1 (used)
USO Ts8x
Razor HD G2 1-6 (used)
Cronus BTR 1-6

Last edited:
If your goal is to be effective at 500 a 1-6/8 will fit the bill perfect IMO. I had my 1-6 razor on a scar 16 when I had it and had no trouble consistently hitting 6-8” plates at 400 and 500 yards with MK262 ammo.

Reactions: Soulezoo
What are you shooting at 500 yards? Punching steel? Look at how many people punch steel at 1000 with 10x.

6x is used on a lot of DMRs, and will get you to beyond 500 yards.

As soon as everything is finally setup, I'll have access to shoot steel out to around 800yd, on private land.
Glass is important, but I've never had a true premium optic, so I'm ignorant to high end glass currently.
Something that will track accurately, decent reticle, and won't die from the recoil action.

Razor HD
Athlon Cronus BTR
USO Ts8x
PST G2 2-10

I could swap a Leup Mark 4, 4.5-14 to it, but then my Remington needs new glass.

Of the optics listed, I would go with the Razor HD II 1-6.
6X on the top end is sufficient for the ranges you are considering.
1X is nearly Aimpoint fast up close.
The reticles offered are kind of meh, but useable.
I ran a HD-II E on my 17 for a while before swapping it out for an ATACR 1-8.
The Razor is pretty much bomb proof, and if it turns out not to be, Vortex will replace it.
I believe that one of the contributing factors to SCAR’s killing optics is the mount, particularly cantilever mounts.
Take a look at the ADM Delta mount. No cantilever and beefy AF.

I could swap a Leup Mark 4, 4.5-14 to it, but then my Remington needs new glass.

I have run my Leupold 4.5x14x50 on my M1a for 5,000++ rounds along with a few short stints on my .300 Weatherby Mark 5. They are a tough piece of equipment. I have it mounted it on a heavy steel picatinny rail (Sadlack mount) and used Mark 4 rings.

If you are worried about standing up to bidirectional recoil, I would suggest you already have the solution. Plus, now you get to select a new scope for your Remmy with out worrying about the whole recoil thing.

HTH

Out of the optics you specified the Razor 1-6 HD is the only one that meets MIl-STD 810G and would hold up well on the SCAR 17.

Gasgun: the delta mount is basically in the mail, just waiting on tube diameter lol.
Faronth: I was heavily considering it, but I'm not sure if that's overkill for the scar. It would be nice to upgrade to a better scope for my 300wm though ?
Sharfshutz: That's the reason I threw the cronus in there. They apparently have a vortex type warranty, and it's claimed on their site, that they test their scopes for 1000g recoil, 1000 times.

saw people today with eo tech and a 3x magnifier hitting 500 and 600 steel all day less than 1k in cost with an ar .maybe another option .

Acudaowner: I have heard putting an eotech on a scar is a guaranteed death sentence.
6.5cmshot2: If I picked up any NF besides an shv, it would pretty much be sitting on my Remington.

Another thing to consider is, I can, and will, hunt in my state, and some others, with my scar.

I have never run anything on my SCAR other than the ELCAN SpecterDR 1.5X/6X. I run NX8 1-8 and ATACR 1-8's on other platforms but somewhere along the way I got convinced that the SCAR 17 was built for the ELCAN. They're heavier (24.8 ounces) than the ATACR by about 4 ounces (8 ounces heavier than the NX8 1-8) but the SCAR's are so light to begin with I've never minded having a little extra weight on it. Most importantly for the SCAR is they're built like a brick shithouse and have come way down in price over the last year or so.

I did entertain the thought of an elcan, just never thought it would be remotely close to what I can spend at the moment.
I don't need to make a decision right now, but I'm an impatient person lol.

I did entertain the thought of an elcan, just never thought it would be remotely close to what I can spend at the moment.
I don't need to make a decision right now, but I'm an impatient person lol.

I hear you; unfortunately there's nothing cheap in this business. What I can say is that they've dropped in price over a thousand dollars in the last year; I know more than you were looking to spend but I think still a very good investment.

There is a screaming low priced RCO Acog in the PX right now that will allow you to hit 500 pretty easily but I agree a stronger LPVO would be better suited to your rifle because its capable well beyond 500.

I recently removed a S&B 5-25X off my LMT MWS because I think its too much scope for what is already a pig of a rifle.

I mounted a USO 1-8X instead and already like the rifle more though I havent had a chance to zero/play with it much.

My philosphy is semis are not precision guns. Just be happy hitting +1MOA targets fast and hard.

Reactions: powerspc
Powers, it's already easy for me to blow money, now looking into high end optics takes it to another level.

Pmclaine, what US 1-8 are you using?

Reactions: powerspc
Powers, it's already easy for me to blow money, now looking into high end optics takes it to another level.

Pmclaine, what US 1-8 are you using?

Its an early generation US Optics 1-8X with Mini Erek .1 elevation and the capped .2 windage turret. Has the daylight bright red dot to use as an RDS if desired. Im happy with it.

I had it on my .223 AR and decided both my ARs needed smaller/lighter optics.

The carbine now sports a TA33 ACOG.

The S&B 5-25X sits on a shelf daring me to buy an AI and put it back to work.

I have a 1x4 Elcan on mine, but I wish I had more magnification. I’d vote 1x8 to 500 yards.

Cs68 I have zero experience with Athlon but looking at the product line it appears the higher end stuff is Light Optics and the lower end stuff they offer is JOL( aka HAKKO) which is crap. I would also look at Bushnell tactical as an option.

I don't have much experience with anything Bushnell, so I'd be lost unless you guys could recommend which line is quality.
The more I think about it, I'm apprehensive at the thought of a 24mm objective if I decide to hunt as well. Light gathering in low light situations compared to a 32+ objective makes me second guess my choices.

Take a look at the PA Platinum 1-8 with the griffin mil reticle. Glass is great, FFP, built like a tank (26oz) and the reticle is similar to the NF Atacr 1-8 reticle. Should have no issues getting you out to 7-800 yards.

Wonder how they would stack up when it comes to daylight visibility of the Illumination, and light gathering towards low light hours.

The mil reticle of the vortex 1-6 works fairly well on a scar but isn’t my first choice. I use one on my scar, but prefer a bdc type reticle like the elcan or leupold mk6 for this gun. This is where I would take a look at primary arms as well. They have some nice acss options.

That being said I have no hesitations on the razor, it’s a great scope.

Out of your list razor 1-6 would be my choice. Glass is clear, and will easily get you to 500. Second focal plane will give you a nice forgiving eyebox, and you should be able to run it quickly on low power.

With lpvo of today the Elcans have become undesirable. Their heavy and bulky. I ran one on my scar previously and much prefer the acog rmr. Your transition to one power is faster than the elcan and glass is similiar.

You could also consider the nightforce nx8 which you should be able to find for $300 more than the razor. Very bright for low power shooting and on 8 power you should be able to stretch the scar to its limits. Also it’s lighter and more compact. Though the eyebox will be less forgiving than the razor.

with regards to high magnification on a scar, that wouldn’t be my first choice. Why weigh it down and make the rifle bulky when for most people 10 power will push the limits on the scar. However, that depends on your eyes as well. I have a buddy who is blind as a bat so he needs a 5-25 to make 700 yard shots.

Being 29, my eyes haven't gotten that bad yet, it's just a subconscious way of trying to cover up unpolished shooting skills.
The more I look at the primary arms 1-8, the more I like it, but the razor is still pretty high on my list.

Right on, at least your honest.
However, more magnification won't necessarily make you shoot better;) Stick with the lower variable power since you have great eyes. The scar shines when it's kept lightweight and maneuverable, unless you plan on only shooting from a bench, in which there are much better rifles for that.

Being 29, my eyes haven't gotten that bad yet, it's just a subconscious way of trying to cover up unpolished shooting skills.
The more I look at the primary arms 1-8, the more I like it, but the razor is still pretty high on my list.

To truly use the 17s potential a Xmas tree reticle with more than. 8x is needed. The perfect optic is a March 3-24x52, followed by a kahles 3-18. On the cheaper end a bushy lrtsi in 4-18 is not bad. I used to shoot steel out to 1200 yards with my 17 ( granted at 7000 AGL) and it's a blast with the right ammo.

It's a 1moa gun with good ammo and as long as your space your shots.

That's another reason I thought about just swapping the Mark 4 over to it, and just upgrading the optics on my Remington. Plus I can offset irons, or a rds for close targets.

Lots of thinking to do now, I'm down to the PA 1-8 or razor, if I don't swap the Mark 4 to it.

I would be hesitant to put that mark 4 on there unless you want to destroy the optic. It will not survive the 17.

You don't think it would be able to handle it? It's non illuminated, sfp, so no electronics to kill, I would think that would help a little, or am I wrong?

Last edited:
I think it would be fine based upon my earlier post about my experience having the same scope on my M1a for thousands of rounds. Actually mine is an illuminated mildot reticle model as well.

The good thing is if I am wrong and it does fail for any reason send it back to Leupold. You will get a repaired or replaced one back in relatively short order. Life time warranty and all.

No the 17 with destroy it. Been there done that. You need to learn up about the 17s recoil impulse before running any optic on it.

I've read about how the upper receiver vibrates like a tuning fork, and the forward momentum is what causes damage.
I can't attest to anything like that bc the viper pst I have on it, is perfectly fine after a couple thousand rounds. It's in a cantilever pepr mount too, which I found out after the fact, should make things worse.
At the same time I've talked to people that think it gets a little blown out of proportion.

Well when you reticle gets knocked loose and the electronics stop working don’t say nobody warned you.

I have read of people using eotechs without a problem, and also of NXS's and a s&b pmII break while on the 17.
I'm curious why you say the Mark 4 wouldn't survive? Are they known to not be as durable as other optics?

Last edited:
The eotech was redesigned specifically for the scar17 due to sopmod legacy eotechs getting destroyed. That is why the batteries are now perpendicular instead of inline.

Everything you think you know or assume about this platform, forget it. Go do some research before you buy anything for it.

I've read for many, many, hours, before, and after, making the decision to look for another optic.
The most common conclusions I'm finding, are a crap mount, and the bolt slamming forward.
The article I read just now has posters saying an elite tactical, acog, and kahles all failed on this gun.

Well then you have read the part... See what socom is using on them, and copy that. If socom isint using them on their 17 and 20s, then you are gambling.

Reactions: Cs68
I have had a NXS 2.5-10 on mine for the lat 2K rounds. Its my do everything rifle so I hunt with it as much as target shoot. I find the magnification range to be about perfect although I wouldnt sneeze if it was 1-10x. I like the higher magnification for game observation and not having to carry a spotting scope for target shooting at the closer ranges. The PST you mentioned has a similar power range and Vortex will replace it I assume if the SCAR eats it.

Crang- that's why I'm interested in the viper, the 2-10 is very appealing, plus I've heard the glass is definitely an improvement from their first gen.
Glad to see someone else hunting with a 17. Do you ever feel yourself wanting more top end, when you hunt, or do you keep your shots relatively close?

Crang- that's why I'm interested in the viper, the 2-10 is very appealing, plus I've heard the glass is definitely an improvement from their first gen.
Glad to see someone else hunting with a 17. Do you ever feel yourself wanting more top end, when you hunt, or do you keep your shots relatively close?

I really dont want for more topend in Texas. Im fine with the rifle for what it is out to 350 yards with my handloads if its a game animal although the rifle is capable on targets to twice that. If Im going past that distance Im out west for elk and use a 7mm Weatherby anyway. Im actually more concerned with being able to use it with an IR laser half the time so I like as flat a trajectory as I can get for pigs and predators as night as well as deer by day. My rifle really does will with the Barnes 130gr TTSX which has been a great all around game round for what we have here. I can usually get it about .75 MOA with that round. For target shooting though I usually use 168gr A-maxs.

That's similar to my line of thought, if I have long shots, on bigger animals, that's what my 300wm is for.
The more I think about it, the more a good lpvo seems to suit my needs.
Ever shoot any Hornady black? I'm thinking of testing that against the fusion MSR I have. That was shooting right at, or slightly under 1.5moa before putting in my geissele, need to try again.

The single best upgrade you could make is getting it rebarreled in 6.5cm. takes the scar to a whole new level.

I am looking for Glass for my Scar 20S to right now. I see SOCOM using alot of NXS on them so they must be ok. I have also seen ACOGs and ELCANs.

I am trying to decide myself between something like a TA55A or just throwing a XTR 2 on it and see if it survives.

Got a bushnell dmr 2 pro for my scar 20, but havent even shot it yet. Intial impressions I think the scope will do good, glass was better than expected and their warranty gives me a piece of mind.