• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scar 17 arrived

fmsniper

1st Sergeant
Minuteman
Picked up my Scar 17S today, I will post photos tonight as I am in my office, so far I love the feel, trigger though is not impressive. I will be mounting my Leupold MK4 3x9 MRT scope, have not decided on PEPR mount or medium rings yet. I must say magazine looks like a modified FAL Metric, I have a few at home I will give it a whirl modifying one.
IMG_0073.jpg

Re: Scar 17 arrived

That's because the magazine is a modified FAL metric. It is lengthened (in the directions the bullets point) to fit the longer OAL rounds of today, amongst other modifcations. Doing it yourself is going to be a bitch, but a cheap way to get more mags if you pull it off.
Apparently the SR-25 Pmags can also be modified to fit it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pigman Jr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats! Looking forward to the pictures! </div></div>

+1. love the Scar 17's!

i dont often lust after firearms...i own a bunch and love them..but its been a while since i have seen something new that damn near gave me a boner...the scar 17 does that...i got the 16...but i would run over a pack of wild midgets to get a scar 17!

My shooting buddy has the 16, and had the same complaint. We were shooting the other day , and a fellow rolled up with something other than the stock trigger (my memory is reserved for guns I own). We were able to put the stock gun, and the gun with the upgraded trigger side by side , and fire them. The difference was night , and day..
If I remember correctly the trigger cost a very pretty penny, something like $400. I also can't remember who the maker was, but it does exist, and it makes all the difference in the world! This was on the 16 mind you, but I have to imagine they produce one for the 17 as well. Good luck!

Both beautiful rifles. The M1A must weigh nearly twice as mush as the Scar. Plus most of the weight is in the front. I'm pretty sure you'll be keeping the Scar!

Held one in my hands for the first time last night and it changed a lot of my misconceptions about what this rifle is. I found it very light and pointable. I thought the stock set up would be something that was kind of sloppy and gave off the sound of plastic sliding/bumping against plastic but it had better tolerances than the pictures led me to imagine.

$2800 at a dealer in tax free New Hampshire and already sold, not that my gun friendly state of Mssachusetts would allow me to have it anyway. All those gang bangers in Boston using $3k armament and all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShooterMcGavin33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My shooting buddy has the 16, and had the same complaint. We were shooting the other day , and a fellow rolled up with something other than the stock trigger (my memory is reserved for guns I own). We were able to put the stock gun, and the gun with the upgraded trigger side by side , and fire them. The difference was night , and day..
If I remember correctly the trigger cost a very pretty penny, something like $400. I also can't remember who the maker was, but it does exist, and it makes all the difference in the world!</div></div>

That was most likely a Geissele trigger. I have two, not the SCAR version, and they are very nice.

My scar 17 has turned into my favorite rifle all others sit on the rack. The FNH -scar17 forum has stickies of how to mod Pmags if ur interested. DSA is in the process of releasing 10&25rnd mags soon. Factory triggers are horrible, Gisselle makes a great replacement if you want to spend the cash, Timney is supposed to release their own trigger at a better price this year at shot show.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont often lust after firearms...i own a bunch and love them..but its been a while since i have seen something new that damn near gave me a boner...the scar 17 does that...i got the 16...but i would run over a pack of wild midgets to get a scar 17! </div></div>

i'm in the market for a scar16, help me help you fund your scar17!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45Operator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShooterMcGavin33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My shooting buddy has the 16, and had the same complaint. We were shooting the other day , and a fellow rolled up with something other than the stock trigger (my memory is reserved for guns I own). We were able to put the stock gun, and the gun with the upgraded trigger side by side , and fire them. The difference was night , and day..
If I remember correctly the trigger cost a very pretty penny, something like $400. I also can't remember who the maker was, but it does exist, and it makes all the difference in the world!</div></div>

That was most likely a Geissele trigger. I have two, not the SCAR version, and they are very nice. </div></div>

second! i own a super select fire and super semi auto and have nothing bad to say, i can imagine geissele's scar trigger being a great investment. [one that i will most likely make]

Is the angle on the check piece comfortable since it slants towards the butt? Most I see are flat across.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fmsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Range today
25 degrees, off bipod, American eagle 168 grain
100 yards, 4 shots were .4 center to center and under an inch with flyer 5 shots
P1400305.jpg
</div></div>

Is this the only group you shot?

never noticed the cheek piece, its no issue

Brake is loud but effective, did knock snow off of the roof of the overhang at the range

I shot 3 groups, 1st two were getting it zeroed with German 147 grain surplus, both around 1-1.24 MOA, last 5 shot group was the American eagle, after that I shot steel out to 400 yards.

Get ready to brake the foldding button on the butt stock those two little plastic nubs

That an awsome rifle you have there! The SCARs are a really nice improvement on the original M-16 platform. Lucky man.
cool.gif

modified a thermold mag not bad for a 16.00 magazine

side by side before mod
P1400317.jpg

P1400318.jpg

P1400319.jpg

5 minute mod
P1400320.jpg

P1400321.jpg

even the bolt hold open works
P1400322.jpg

hand cycled rounds through it, worked great now I need to test fire it

Very nice. There's one at a local shop I've been eyeing for a month or so. I haven't had the chance to send any downrange on one, but just fingering it in the shop, they feel nice.

Ergonomics, accuracy, looks... everything. So awesome looking.

agreed that is why even though my M1A in troy stock is fantastic, its 4 pounds heavier than this, and a .24 MOA less accurate, not much but enough to make the decision to sell it and keep the scar, I just do not have a use for 2 308 battle rifles.

Great idea on the magazine mod.
I went with a MKIV 3.5-10x40 M3 with a Jpoint offset on the laure mount..... I like my kool-Aid grape flavored.
9c7919b8.jpg

just go slow on the top portion of the mag catch hole, do not over cut it or it will not hold it high enough....
I am making a piece of steel that will work as a guide, for the nest 10 I do, hell at this price its easy and cheap, not modifications to the body, it fits fine a little snug but still easy to pull out.

I did a trip with a MK17. I put it through the ringer, and overall it was extremely reliable, but they're cheaply made. Its a great gun if you have a free support network with available parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lionrampant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did a trip with a MK17. I put it through the ringer, and overall it was extremely reliable, but they're cheaply made. Its a great gun if you have a free support network with available parts. </div></div>

agreed but for the type of rifle it is, it is hard to beat, I carried the M21 for 15 months, loved it but too heavy for most of the work done. Now if I get my buds still over, to give me the old magazines from the MK17, I would be happy

Nice looking SCAR, I see your in MI. Where were you shooting steel out to 400yrds at?