• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCAR 17 at 805 yards

I'm thinking it was sarcasm, it seems like a running joke on which color SCAR is more accurate. But I could be wrong, and it won't be the first time.

Thanks for posting the video. This is a good video as it has several good teaching points....it shows how important effectiveshooter and spotter communication is and common problems that can occur. How many times did the spotter tell the shooter he needed more elevation before the shooter even touched the elevation turret? Same goes for the corrections given to the shooter. I'm pretty sure he has a reticle in that spotter and could have given precise adjustments to the shooter. Even if it doesn't have a reticle, he could have been more descriptive in describing how much adjustment the shooter needed by telling him holds or favors. It's one thing to tell students about these kind of things but to be able to show it in action is an invaluable training aid.

2.5-10 scope! Damn, I feel like I'm under-glassed anywhere past 50 yards if I don't have a S&B 12-50x56!

Thanks for posting the video. This is a good video as it has several good teaching points....it shows how important effectiveshooter and spotter communication is and common problems that can occur. How many times did the spotter tell the shooter he needed more elevation before the shooter even touched the elevation turret? Same goes for the corrections given to the shooter. I'm pretty sure he has a reticle in that spotter and could have given precise adjustments to the shooter. Even if it doesn't have a reticle, he could have been more descriptive in describing how much adjustment the shooter needed by telling him holds or favors. It's one thing to tell students about these kind of things but to be able to show it in action is an invaluable training aid.

I was thinking the same thing. The way we learned to communicate with spotter-shooter dialog has been invalidated by different experiences I've had over the years. We used to do the whole back and forth, "Spotter ready...shooter ready....send it." crap, which is a waste of time I've found.

As soon as the shooter indicates he's ready, the spotter gives a wind call and the shooter breaks the trigger with that call. That's what I use now-too easy, too simple.

Shooter: "Ready" This means you're all positioned-up, on FIRE, trigger finger in-place, reticle indexed on target ready to shoot.
Spotter: "Left edge.."
Shooter: Rifle discharges (shooter can call their shot at this time)
Spotter: "5 o'clock....4 inches"

If the first shot is a miss, you might want to consider gross corrections, rather than inching towards the target. It works out a lot faster for a new pair working together.

Shooter: "Ready"
Spotter: "Center"
Shooter: Bang......impact is 2 Mils left of the target
Spotter: "Right 3 Mils"
Shooter: Bang....impact is .3 Mils right of target
Spotter: "Left .5"
Shooter: Bang.....impact is 6 o'clock, 8" low, on target
Spotter: "Hit...up .4 Mils"

.....and so forth. The "ready, ready, send it" dialog does nothing for you as far as wind calls go. "Send it" is best replaced with the spotter's call in a format the shooter can use easily, whether it be "Center" for a center hold, favor left/right for a 1/3 target width hold, left/right edge, or use Mils for windage holds.