• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scar 17 optic advice

Bkelly47

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2014
Fredericksburg VA
I'm hoping to get some opinions on upgrading the optics on my scar currently I'm running a 3.5x ACOG I've ran my current setup at a few DMR matches and I've come to the conclusion I definitely want get some more magnification for making hits at 500m plus easier as well something with a lower magnification for making shots at sub 100m easier and faster too. I'm currently looking at the Leupold Mark6 1-6x with the 762 cmr reticle, Leupold Mark8 1-8 with the H-27 reticle, the 6x Elcan DR, USO SR8C with the H425 reticle or the USO MR-10 with the H425 reticle. My favorite just from looking at features is the Mark8 I run a Horus reticle mark6 3-18 on both of my bolt guns so I'm familiar with them, I also like that it had daytime visible illumination and I like the pinch style of locking turrets it has. I have no personal expierence with any of them though. And wanted to get some input from people who may have had time behind a few of the ones I've listed.

Last edited:
Hello,
On my first scar 17 I had a weaver 1x5 tactical scope that in a Pat Rodgers class it broke, ATK fixed it better
than it was but it is on another rifle. Now I put a Nightforce 1x4 on it and then it broke, went back to factory,
they said they could not find anything wrong with it but when it came back it works fine. It's still on that gun
and no problems. The other scar 17 has a aimpoint comp m4 with high battery (AA) compartment and it works
great, use it out to 200 yards with 4 moa dot. hope that helps.

Do a Search and see what the Mil Guys are running. I'm not trying to be a Milspec Snob but it seems the Milspec optics might hold up better on the SCARs. a lot of the lower end optics would not last on a SCAR so don't even waste your money. Just IMHO.

I have the Mk 6 16X scope with the CMR-W reticle. Great glass and spot on tracking. Their are things I do not like about first is the center dot is to small for my liking. Second is when you use the illuminated reticle the eye box is very unforgiving. The slightest change in your check weld cause the illuminated portion to shift position.

Last edited:
I've got nightforce 2.5-10x32. I've made hits with it out to 1k. 12"x12" target was tiny at 1k, so I'll never go any lower in regards to magnification range. I've also got a RMR offset at 1 o'clock zeroed at 50 yards. Haven't messed with RMR much, but seems like it'll be a solid setup.

The ELCAN 1.5/6x has been the most popular for us. The Leupold Mark 6 and the Vortex 1-6x have been the next popular. Some guys are going with the 1.1-8x CQBSS but the cost stops a lot of our customers. For our customers that are using their SCAR 17 for precision we have been seeing them going with the Nigthforce 2.5-10x, NF F1 3.5-15x LV.5, Burris 2.5-10x42mm, and Burris 1.5-8x.

I have used a vortex 1-4x pst and a 4-16x viper pst ffp. Have made hits on steel at 800+ yards with the 1-4x off the roof of a truck. Working with the 4-16 to find the best load. Considering selling the 1-4x and getting the HD Gen 2 1-6x for more magnification after I have developed a solid load.

IMOP I think vortex is good to go on the scar17.

If the price doesnt bother you then there is nothing wrong with the mk8. The only thing stopping me from putting it on my scar is the price. be warned that only the horus version of the mk8 has daytime bright illumination.

Reactions: Itsadryheat
Leupold Mark 6 1-6x or Vortez Razor HD II 1-6x are two good choices.

I have the Mk 6 16X scope with the CMR-W reticle. Great glass and spot on tracking. Their are things I do not like about first is the center dot is to small for my liking. Second is when you use the illuminated reticle the eye box is very unforgiving. The slightest change in your check weld cause the illuminated portion to shift position.

^^^^
This

Best options, in my opinion. Nothing says Scar 17 like a L-Mk6 with the 762 reticle.

Reactions: Itsadryheat
Mk6 is not worth the price imo. It's best feature
is it's lightweight. Glass is ok but not great, don't like the locking turrets, you have to be centered right behind the illumination to see it. Reticle is fine if you spend time to learn how to use it( which I didn't), but can be a bit busy.

if you are going to go with a 1-6 i highly recommend the khales 1-6 or even the swaro 1-6.

I am currently running a Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12 in an American defense mount. I had a 2.5-10 viper pst on it and it broke. I just got it back from vortex last week but that extra bit of magnification is very helpful so ill probably stick with the bushnell for now. If that breaks then i may just go ahead and buy a nightforce or a USO or a Leupold. Id personally recommend something with a 'busy' reticle. Stretching out a 3.12 or 2.5-10 power scope past 500 (farthest I've shot it so far) the reticle can be used to judge distance and to give you easy to use hold overs. just my 2 cents

I've been running the same scope on my SCAR17 for 5 years and have put countless thousands of rounds through it. I've never had an issue with it and the scope I'm running on it isn't anything special, but it works well. Bushy 1-6.5, SFP with BTR-2 reticle. You can get them from B&H Photo for like $875 now. My only gripe is the illumination is dim, which I have found to be the case on several Bushnell products.

I put a Millett 1x6x24 on my 17S. Obviousy not in the same league as some of the optics mentioned and I wouldn't dare compare it to any of them. That said,it has worked well for me. The glass is very clear out to my normal max range (about 400 yards) and it has held up well to both the recoil of the weapon and the general abuse of my MO Ozark property and my occasional carelessness.