• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scar 17 optic

Covertnoob5

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2017
    SoCal
    Hey guys looking at different optics for my scar 17. I know these rifles have a habit of destroying cheaper scopes/red dots etc. I may be asking for a lot here, but I want an optic that I can use up close (100 yards) with quick acquisition, as well as be able to stretch the rifle to 1k yards. What are some options? Thanks.

Better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and say oh shit.....

What's your budget? Shooting a scar at 1000 is pushing it, but not impossible. Do you want something more lightweight? A larger objective for low light conditions? More emphasis on faster close range shots, or longer range precision work?

I have a Millett 1x6x24 on my SCAR 17s. Relatively inexpensive. A little heavy, but very rugged. No probs after about 500 rounds.

I put a Vortex PST 2.5-10x44mm on mine. Wide FOV up close on 2,5x. 10x is pushing it but can get me to 1k. Lifetime warranty if the 17H punishes it too much. So far it's dome well.

What's your budget? Shooting a scar at 1000 is pushing it, but not impossible. Do you want something more lightweight? A larger objective for low light conditions? More emphasis on faster close range shots, or longer range precision work?

Yea I know it's not the best 1k gun out there but I enjoy the challenge. I'm not trying to shoot groups at 500 just hit 1 moa or similar sized steel.

Budget wise I'm pretty open. If the optic is worth it I'll save for it no big deal.

Weight wise I'm flexible, I just don't want to mount a gen2 razor on it. I love the gen2 but not for a scar.

I was gonna say razor 1-6 will be perfect..but for 1k yard you will probably need at least 10 power scope..may be nxs 2.5-10 will probably fit the bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been really happy with my FDE Bushnell Tactical Elite ERS 3.5-21X50 on my SCAR17S in an ADM Recon mount. But getting it to shoot a consistent 1 moa is a challenge.

NF 4-16 F1. Reticle is very useable at 4x and obviously scope is more than capable out to 1000. Compact too.

If you want smaller, drop down to a 2.5-10x NXS.

Last edited:
    I've been through a few scopes on the SCAR. Currently using a Nighforce 2.5-10x42. Only a couple hundred rounds on it though.
    I destroyed 2 PA 1-6's and had to have a Leupold 1-6 repaired-the dot would turn on and off while firing.

TA33 is my fav optic for a carbine. If you want to reach out, hard to beat a March for weight/features. The Gen 2 razor is also a very solid choice. If reaching to 1K then something like the 3-15 PST, Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18 or even a 4-16 F1.

I used a Nightforce 2.5x10x32 with the velocity reticle to engage 2moa targets out to 600 yards with excellent results. I've had cold bore hits at 500 and 600. The scope was light and went well on the SCAR. For a mount, I used the ADM Delta, which is a pound of beef, but works. Lesser mounts may cause problems.

With Hornady 168GR TAP ammo, I would say I could keep 10 rounds in a 2 moa group, and have done so at varying ranges.

I switched out to a Razor GII 1-6x for better results <100. In my area, it takes work to find a 600 yard shot, and the 1-6 is just more useful at realistic engagement ranges.

S&B shortdot dfp 1-8x
    March 1-8x or 1-8x shorty
    Minox ZP8 1-8x

Looks like you want some magnification. I ran a vortex 3-16 gen 2 on the scar, and it's just too heavy. You could look into the vortex amg, that could save you on weight. Nightforce 2.5-10 is a great optic for the scar, but good luck making 1000 yard shots. Also I've run minox 1-8, sb 1-8, leupold 1-8, and all three are great in their own way, but won't get you the distance you need. Also they aren't ideal for low light conditions.

look into the Steiner 3-15 M5Xi, Schmidt bender 3-12, or the discontinued khales 3-15. If you are on a budget the swfa 3-15 is great glass for the price.

after running every imaginable optic on my scar, I've simpled it down to an acog ta11. If I want to reach out, I'll use my bolt guns. But the scar is fairly capable at distance.

I've simpled it down to an acog ta11. If I want to reach out, I'll use my bolt guns. But the scar is fairly capable at distance.

I think Tonsofguns hit it perfectly.

I own (2) SCAR 17's and have run no less than 10 different optics on those rifles.

I currently have an EoTech EXPS3 Combo on my FDE, and Leopold MK8 1.1-8 on my Black (and will probably switch back to my LED TA11)

Here is the conclusion: Variable power is the only option for your intended end use

- S&B High Power 1.8-8 PMII- Fantastic option, Get the daylight bright dot & you have a do everything scope
    - Leupold MK8 1.1-8 - Close in function to S&B, Not daytime bright, easier on the wallet
    - Minox ZP8 1-8 - Very clean scope, hard to find one to look through. Great Dot
    - March 1-8 - I haven't owned this one, but it reviews well.
    - March 1-8 Shorty - Looks interesting, Only 8.3 inches long
    - Burris 1-8 - Budget oriented, but definitely enough quality to handle the SCAR
    - Bushnell 1-8 - Not a bad optic, Just a little less refined than the top tier 1-8s
    - Trijicon 1-8 - Great choice for budget buy, I liked this optic a lot. Not super daytime bright, but it worked

Id strongly suggest these optics if you intend on spending more time at distance

- NF 2.5-10 - Love these scopes, compact and quality
    - S&B 3-12 PMII - Just like the big brother, without the length
    - PST Gen2 3-15 - Good budget option

There are more, but these are the ones I've had experience with

To me the nightforce looks very appealing out of all the suggestions so far but I'm still open to plenty more!

"NF 4-16 F1. Reticle is very useable at 4x and obviously scope is more than capable out to 1000. Compact too.

If you want smaller, drop down to a 2.5-10x NXS."

+1.

1. Trijicon VCOG 1-6x24

2. Trijicon AccuPower 1-8x28 +++ this is the one I like to have maybe

3. Vortex Razon HD Gen II 1-6x24

4. ~~~~~~

5. ~~~~~~

6. ~~~~~~

I've used a few different things in the part. the nightforce 2.5-10x32 with an rmr at a 45 is probably my favorite, you could do the same thing with an atacr 4-16x42. have also used the swarovski and trijicon 1-6, the trijicon vcog, the vortex 1-6x24 razor, and the kahles 1-6. any of the mentioned scopes would work well, and you can get a 1-8 from swarovski and trijicon now.

Depends on the role. When I had my 17 I ran it with a 1-6 Trijicon, then a 2.5-10x NF, then sold it and got a bolt rifle because I was was trying to push a carbine into a precision role.

Same optic for 100 and 1K? You'll be compromising both uses with a mid-power variable, won't get the long range with a low-power variable, and won't get past mid-range with a red dot. You should come back with more refined requirements as what you want doesn't exist in an uncompromised optic.

Last edited:
    Dang I think the a red dot at a 45 might be the answer, in combination with a good scope. I'm really considering the NF options right now. I'm just not sure if 10x is enough to see out that far. Maybe the 4-16 F1 is the answer?

The Scar was greatl (I really like mine and have a Leupold 1.1-8 mark 8 on it) until the AR10's caught up. The Scar is not a good 1000 yard choice.

i agree with most people here, that taking the scar to 1000, is not really what it's meant to do, but OP asked for long range scopes. It's an moa at best rifle, with a 16 inch barrel. If I am going to shoot distance, I am pulling out a rifle that can at least do half moa rifle with a longer barrel.

I see the scar as a lightweight battle rifle, with above average accuracy for what it is. I want to optimize it's strengths in ergonomics, speed, and ease of use. Op I think you should consider prioritizing what you want your scar to accomplish, and go from there. Everything with optic is give, and take. A lot of times, (including myself when i first bought the scar) you'll want to maximize the potential of the platform, and end up overscopping. After running it a bit, you'll be wanting more speed, less weight, larger field of view, and better ergonomics.

Like I mentioned i put an acog ta11 on mine, however, my intended use is for a hilly rural area, where the longest shot is 500 yards. I think the nightforce 2.5-10 with an rmr would have been my second option. The 1-8 is ok, but they are just so dam expensive, you'll only use them at low and high magnification, and you'll probably still want a red dot to piggyback on it.

Last edited:
    Hey guys I'm new here and setting up my Scar 17 for precision bullseye shooting, smallest groups. I had a Vortex PST 4-16x50 FFP that I shot with for a little while till the recoil impulse canted the reticle. Sent it in for warranty repair, they fixed it, took it to the range to rezero and happened again. Fixed it again then sold it. Well I bought a Schmidt Bender 5-25x56 PMII LP DT MRAD but sold that the other day since I don't want my Scar restricted to bench shooting due to the weight and less FOV @ 5x even though I have a 3moa Leupold Deltapoint on an offset mount for CQB. So I just ordered the S&B 3-20x50 Ultra short LP MTC P4 fine in Pantone finish. I do plan on getting a 20" FN barrel or custom Dead shot barrel.

Last edited:
    Forgive me guys but I'm a bit new to the rifle game. I have a Vortex Viper 4-16x44 on my Scar 17 that I now realize is too much magnification for me. I'm looking for a 1-6x or 1-8x which I think would be perfect for a Scar. You all are mentioning some very nice, moderately expensive scopes. What I don't understand is that if the Scar has a reputation for eating scopes why would you consider mounting a scope on one that doesn't have a full unconditional lifetime warranty? It seems that only the Burris and Vortex do that. I must be missing something, and I'm sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks,
    Cuz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something else to consider is that the Scar 17 tends to throw optics around even in the best rings. Ran a Bushnell HDMR in a set of Bobro one piece rings and would observe the optics shifting in said rings constantly. Torque settings were verified with a proper wrench multiple times.

Forgive me guys but I'm a bit new to the rifle game. I have a Vortex Viper 4-16x44 on my Scar 17 that I now realize is too much magnification for me. I'm looking for a 1-6x or 1-8x which I think would be perfect for a Scar. You all are mentioning some very nice, moderately expensive scopes. What I don't understand is that if the Scar has a reputation for eating scopes why would you consider mounting a scope on one that doesn't have a full unconditional lifetime warranty? It seems that only the Burris and Vortex do that. I must be missing something, and I'm sorry if this is a dumb question.

Some scopes can simply handle the recoil on a FAL or SCAR. Also some scope manufactures would surprise you when it comes to their warranty work.

This is so funny, I had some A-hole in the forums basically telling me that SCARS don't eat optics and accused me of bing full of crap, lol! My Scar 17 ate my NF and Leopold, great optics and really great customer service, especially NF, really like those guys. Looking for another optic that can potentially take the abuse of that sharp recoil impulse. No it's not really a great 1000 yard gun but under 800 it's fantastic. I was thinking a Razor HD1-6? or the new PA premier HD glass 1-8? not sure yet.