• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scar 17 Recall

G

fenixmikeXGunny Sergeant
Rating: 2.4/5 this site
910 posts this site
Scar 17 Recall
09/02/2016

Thought id post it up, didn't see it anywhere else or even hear about it until seeing this at my LGS.

HhiTAjR.jpg

JYYBvyQ.jpg

Rate now:
2ndamendfan
2ndamendfan.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.3/5 this site
2073 posts this site
Re: Scar 17 Recall
09/02/2016

Good info, thanks for posting.

Rate now:
samnevXFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.4/5 this site
3637 posts this site
Re: Scar 17 Recall
09/07/2016

Good idea to post it here. It's been on the FN Forum for quite a while but it was nice of the OP to post it here.

I wonder if this is like the fake recall HK just had.

what fake recall?? the SCAR 17 is well documented issue with a run of bad bolts. I think there is also another issue with carrier's and bad dimensions around the cam pin.

I would just call FN and verify by your serial number if yours was issued during a recall and they will let you know. Ive been in that position, they have good customer service at least they did back then.

Well. Thank you for posting this, guess I gotta check my serial number now! I love my scar too, but I hate that stupid frigging reciprocating charging handle! What a stupid design.

Well. Thank you for posting this, guess I gotta check my serial number now! I love my scar too, but I hate that stupid frigging reciprocating charging handle! What a stupid design.
It’s not a “stupid” design. The US military requested a rifle with a reciprocating charging handle for many reasons.

Was one of those requests for it to smash your thumb, ha. 😏Only had it nail me a bit once so far at least. What was it that caused them to request a reciprocating charging handle that a non reciprocating one wouldn’t have done if you don’t mind me asking. Just curious, sorry if that’s a dumb question, just would like to know honestly.

Was one of those requests for it to smash your thumb, ha. 😏Only had it nail me a bit once so far at least. What was it that caused them to request a reciprocating charging handle that a non reciprocating one wouldn’t have done if you don’t mind me asking. Just curious, sorry if that’s a dumb question, just would like to know honestly.
That is a training issue dude 🤣🤣. You can’t blame a firearm if you don’t know what your doing....right? 👍

Maybe, but I never seen a nail gun where you had to stick your thumb right next to the ejecting nails either, just sayin, ha. When you have multiple AR 15’s and AR10’s you get used to it not being like that. And yes I understand what your training comment is getting at. I’m not exactly getting free ammo to train with and with these prices lately it’s kinda hard to want to expend what I got now. Not arguing that I could’nt use a lot more practice at all though🤙. Is it like to be used as a forward assist, which an AR style forward assist would have worked in its place??? Still in the dark as to why. I don’t know of many who would prefer that design personally and I’m not the only one to comment as such. Am I not understanding something or???

Maybe, but I never seen a nail gun where you had to stick your thumb right next to the ejecting nails either, just sayin, ha. When you have multiple AR 15’s and AR10’s you get used to it not being like that. And yes I understand what your training comment is getting at. I’m not exactly getting free ammo to train with and with these prices lately it’s kinda hard to want to expend what I got now. Not arguing that I could’nt use a lot more practice at all though🤙. Is it like to be used as a forward assist, which an AR style forward assist would have worked in its place??? Still in the dark as to why. I don’t know of many who would prefer that design personally and I’m not the only one to comment as such. Am I not understanding something or???
40 countries Around the world use it as a fighting rifle. it’s a great rifle for many reasons . We all can’t be wrong?
Why doesn’t matter. If you don’t like it, sell it (I’m certain someone will buy it and you can buy an HK OR KAC. My other two favorite gas guns...

i really love the scar 20!

Reactions: theLBC
I didn’t say I didn’t like the rifle. Funny how you cant explain to me a simple answer but want to trash talk. I suppose it destroying optics is awesome as well right? I can have small complaints about things I find an issue with or what? You got your opinion, I got mine! If everybody in 40 countries jumped off a cliff, I suppose you would as well!🤔I had an honest question you can’t answer, so let somebody who actually wants to inform me comment then please.🤫

Reactions: Steel+Killer
I didn’t say I didn’t like the rifle. Funny how you cant explain to me a simple answer but want to trash talk. I suppose it destroying optics is awesome as well right? I can have small complaints about things I find an issue with or what? You got your opinion, I got mine! If everybody in 40 countries jumped off a cliff, I suppose you would as well!🤔I had an honest question you can’t answer, so let somebody who actually wants to inform me comment then please.🤫
Trash talk? You’re asking a question NO ONE CSN ANSWER except the US military that wanted a reciprocal charging handle and the designers. Don’t take things so personally....
Cheers 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Telling me to sell my stuff is a little much, guess I took it the wrong way. Sorry if I took offense. But I am sure somebody on here has some knowledge of why it would be advantageous, alas pretty much what my question was. There are far more intelligent people on here than myself and I was just looking for some enlightenment as to why they would design something this way. It obviously has it pitfalls, such as getting hung up possibly and causing FTF and such. I can only see one adavantage in that it’s simpler and stronger possibly.

No wo
Telling me to sell my stuff is a little much, guess I took it the wrong way. Sorry if I took offense. But I am sure somebody on here has some knowledge of why it would be advantageous, alas pretty much what my question was. There are far more intelligent people on here than myself and I was just looking for some enlightenment as to why they would design something this way. It obviously has it pitfalls, such as getting hung up possibly and causing FTF and such. I can only see one adavantage in that it’s simpler and stronger possibly.
No worries my friend! I will answer your question the best way I understand it. The US Military when they requested a battle rifles of various calibers one of the requirements was a reciprocal charging handle.
A Reciprocating charging handle gives the user total control over the movement of the bolt and bolt carrier and allows a lot of force to be used to chamber or extract stubborn or ruptured cartridges. It can also serve as a visual indicator of a malfunction or an empty magazine without needing to look at the ejection port. it’s also efficient from manufacturing design standpoint.

The main drawback of reciprocating charging handle is that you do have a metal tab flying back-and-forth very high speed. Some are concerned that this will limit them in terms of where they can place their hands on the firearm and the possibility that this may induce a malfunction in certain positions were the environment may interfere with the motion of the charging handle.

With a non-reciprocating charging handle you can typically only exert rearward pressure on the bolt carrier and bolt. Rifles such as the M-16 ,F AL, and HK variant utilize either a forward assist or a notched both carrier to allow the user to ensure the bolt is fully into battery. The benefit is that there are no external moving parts on the weapon during fire, which allows for more flexibility in terms of human body position during firing. This benefit is normally negligible because you typically don’t benefit from firing weapons in ways for which they weren’t designed. Although it’s not always the case.

One drawback of the A.R. 15’s non-reciprocating charging handle is that in rare circumstances, the spent casing may become lodged above the bolt and between the bolt carrier and charging handle. This is the most typical type of malfunction to clear and has resulted in the death of many great warriors. When carrying the M16 or variant that was always my greatest fear... I would get in a fire fight and sustain the aforementioned jam or a blown primer in the feed ramps or the trigger housing. Then, you’re fucked.
Sometimes it’s difficult to read emotion without seeing someone’s face. We are all under a tremendous amount of stress right now; each of us for different reasons. everyone that reads this post please remember that November is quickly coming. WE MUST ALL STICK TOGETHER OR WE SHALL ALL HANG SEPARATELY....
BLUE LIVES MATTER!
GOD BLESS THE USA!

Last edited:
No worries brother and I appologize for my getting upset over nothing that was my mistake, thank you for your service as well. Thank you for your explanation of what I did not know, now I am hopefully smarter for it and at least understand what the purpose of having a weapon configured in that manner serves. Yes we do need to stick together and let common sense prevail in the turbulent times we are in.

I can see the advantages and disadvantages of a reciprocating charging handle. I prefer rifles without a reciprocating handle so I don't get banged by it, or have it get hung up on something like a barricade, doorway or something like that if I am in an odd position to shoot.

But as the military requested it, that is what they get. I can understand how the recripocating handle saves manufacturing money, and how keeping your hand out of the way is a training issue, no different than on the bolt handles for the Garand or M14/M-1A. Still, I would prefer a non reciprocating handle, just personal preference.

When I got my 17S the first 2 trips to the range were a lesson in thumb pain. Not too bruised .
I chose to leave the charging handle on my left side ...to use with my left hand, while not changing my grip on the grip handle.
It has been that way now for nine years .
This is my rifle , there are many like it, but mine is set up for me and my muscle memory has learned this ... and it is on permanent file.
The forward grip handle is a big plus ( Grip-Pod Is a retractable Bipod) serving two functions.
My black Belgian Beauty is my go to rifle. So much so that any other choice.... AR , restocked Mini 14, M1 carbine .... They all feel foreign.
The others are all good choices but my SCAR 17 is just better for me , and my range use, & Hunting use. Ser# HC 137XXX. is a fairly old one ,of early manufacture.
No issues , & Not a candidate for recall. The only two issues I had were ammo related.
One dead primer, and one non resized soft point. Just two hiccups. My bad .
" Battlefield Vegas" , a gun rental firearms range, reports only one or two, "parts breakdowns" on SCAR platforms. ( thousands of rounds fired ).

Last edited:
LOL. First time hunting with my scar17 resulted in a black left thumbnail. Adrenaline was up when I jumped some pigs and I wasn't thinking of hand placement on a new platform. Swapped it to the left and have been gtg ever since. I rack with my left under the rifle like an AK now.

Where do I find the Serial Number range for this recall?

Post #6

Reactions: 101ABN327
Post #6
Thx! Checked my SER and I'm in the 12K range.