• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCAR 17s

Re: Photos

For a battle rifle I would buy a SCAR 17 long before I would buy a $2500 AR10 clone but, that's just my opinion.

I'll stick with my modernized M14s until the civilian Mk-17 is better supported.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll stick with my modernized M14s until the civilian Mk-17 is better supported. </div></div>

go figure
whistle.gif

from my experience the SCARH likes to be dirty. i still have mixed feelings. having put a few thousand rounds through the scar its a ok gun, parts still feel cheap to me. I would rather have my home built 16" DPMS pattern ar10, which i've had zero problems with.

i'm still torn, i may get ones only cuz i can get parts. who knows.

I don't plan on going to battle with my personal weapons... Don't get me wrong I may one day have to fight my way out a situation, but there is a big difference between the two. Given that, I think any of the systems mentioned above are fine for what <span style="text-decoration: underline">MOST</span> of us will do with them.

My preference is the SCAR primarily because of weight and reliability reports (albeit some early broken stocks in combat). I like to shoot and hunt <span style="font-weight: bold">A LOT</span>, so while sub-MOA accuracy and LR shooting is fun it's also really expensive (especially feeding a semi-auto .308) and time consuming to do often...

With that said, if I was looking for drag through the dirt battlefield reliability and parts availability in a battle rifle platform, I would buy an FAL. If I was looking for a precision semi-auto rifle to do the same, I would buy an LMT MWS or SR25EM.

In the end it's each to their own, I bought the SCAR and will buy another because it meets my realistic wants/needs (hunting/shooting whatever ammo is cheapest to 400 yards) not some Red Dawn save the free world fantasy.

I haven't heard of, or seen, any groups with the SCAR 17 to provide me enough info as to whether it will shoot or not. Did I miss something?

Thanks,

Q

FN claims sub-MOA accuracy, and reviews from SHOT seem to indicate fairly good accuracy at 400yds, but I have not seen anything definitive. I am sure it's minute of hog out to 400 without too much concern-my guess is it's probably fairly comparable to chrome-line AR .308's. Hopefully I'll get another one soon, so that I can post a range report.

Re: SCAR 17s

I shipped the one I had to the buyer today. Kinda sad to see it go, but I'll buy another one as soon as the second batch becomes available. Nice pic by the way...

I really want one of these but I think you probably did the right thing. You made good money on it and you can probably buy another one for the same as what you paid or less in a few months time. Good looking rifle though. I have been trying to get my hands on one to play with but have not been able to find one in person yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll stick with my modernized M14s until the civilian Mk-17 is better supported.</div></div>

Imagine that. Because SEI is a huge, multinational company with multiple manufacturing facilities and military contracts, right?

I can't wait until you go to the match since you won't ever post your own groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRI</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll stick with my modernized M14s until the civilian Mk-17 is better supported.</div></div>

Imagine that. Because SEI is a huge, multinational company with multiple manufacturing facilities and military contracts, right?

I can't wait until you go to the match since you won't ever post your own groups. </div></div>

What does any of what you just said have to do with FN supporting SCAR rifles in civilian hands?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: medic103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...this will be a bad ass mofo too..

</div></div>

Agreed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: minirome</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dang. I paid $2150 for a 16. </div></div>

you stole it in my opinion. good grab

Wow, I want one, so I can buy it for 2700 and sell it for 3600 on GunBroker like home-boy just did. First he was in hot water with the CFO and now he can buy one again and put 900 in the bank!!

Way to go!

The FNAR is a nice rifle and a good choice IMO. It's not an AR platform, but a solid rifle - like a BAR.