• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scar 20 flash hider removal

drcrk0525

Private
Minuteman
  • Nov 3, 2017
    I read where some guys where heating the flash hider up to remove it. Should I hit it for 15-30 sec with a torch or get it glowing? Why do they put that on so damn tight. Thanks for any help

You might want to invest in one of these: https://tangodown.com/tangodown-scar-armorer-block-set/

Not cheap, but nothing SCAR is.

I haven’t worked on the 20, but I removed a factory installed 3 prong from a 17 barrel.
    It was on there so tight, I was amazed that they didn’t damage the threads when they installed it.

I good heat gun or torch should be plenty to soften the thread locker. Red hot would be too much. I don't know what they use, but I know Rocksett can be removed by soaking it in water overnight. I'd try that first if it was me...

Don't need to soak shit with Rocksett.

Smack then end of the flash hider with a ball peen hammer a few times - don't swing for the fence. Think of it as mildly delicate glass, it cracks and gives up it's hold every time.

Well which do they use, Rocksett or Loctite?

I know how to get both off fairly easy but it depends on which one. I'll be looking at doing this pretty soon myself. Some of these places must use damn impact wrenches to put 'em on. Once you loosen whatever threadlocker they used, tapping the wrench with a hammer helps.

I soak the Rocksett overnight in hot water, swap it out with hot water next morning before I take it off. That's how I've dealt with it. With Loctite I just use a torch for a few seconds and go at it. It doesn't take much unless they lathered it on.