• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCAR vs FNAR

KAOS

Private
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2011
The West
I'm looking to add a semiautomatic 7.62 to my collection. The two top runners are the FNAR and SCAR 17. Was wondering if any current owners could offer input, or had an alternative option worth investigating.

Re: SCAR vs FNAR

SCAR, hands down. Out of those two,
I still think the nicest I've fired was an LWRC but I would take the SCAR over one of those just for the weight and balance alone.

The FNAR is basically a semi-auto hunting rifle. The SCAR is a combat rifle. The SCAR is designed to be cleaned in the field (like the AR). The FNAR isn't.

+1 for the SCAR!!! The FNAR heavy i shot would only group about 1 3/4" at 100. My SCAR will easily do 1".

Wow, 1-3/4 is actually pretty depressing, I thought it would shoot way better than that.

+1 for the SCAR, I own one. Great rifle! Doesn't care about getting dirty and I get sub-MOA accuracy with 168gr reloads. Mostly shoot 147gr mil-surplus and can keep it around an inch too. Plus... it's just a B.A. rifle... my .02

Just look at it... 'nuff said
cool.gif

together.jpg

District2-20110407-00253.jpg

You can get a FNAR and a nice scope for the price of a SCAR. Big price difference in the two rifles you are looking at. I have the FNAR and I like it. I would also like to have a SCAR, but don't have the cash.

I only have about 60 rounds of junk ammo through my FNAR, so I can't tell you stories about small groups yet. I am in the process of working up hand loads for it. Just haven’t been to the range to shoot the first batch I have loaded. Maybe later this week I will fire them off and get a chronograph reading from them. If they group well, I will take a picture and post it back on this thread for you. I have read in other places that people are getting .50 and .75 MOA out of their guns.

The time I have spent with my FNAR, there have been no failures of any type. It is slower to take apart than an AR or SCAR. It can be cleaned in the field; you will just need to have a phillips screw driver and an allen key to take it down. Also, you cannot get a cleaning rod in the breach, so you will need to clean it with a cable system. I use an Otis cable. The FNAR comes with three butt stock pads for pull length of pull adjustment, along with three cheek weld pads. My FNAR is the light barrel, and it is fairly light for a 20 inch semi auto .308. I have never handled a heavy barrel FNAR. Lastly, magazines are expensive, but very robust. The barrel is <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> threaded for a flash hider or can.

Jeff Quinn wrote a good review on an FNAR. He has several photos and a small video of him shooting it. Try this link to see it: Gun Blast

october2010024.jpg

october2010021.jpg

I vote for the SCAR as well. Wait some time to let the prices drop, and mags to become readily available. Im not sure the OP was looking at Rock River and as far as them being more accurate..Prove it..

Having owned an FNAR I can say I found nothing wrong with the rifle. It would consistently perform 1 MOA with 168gr FGMM. Also, I couldn't say as I found anything to really love about the rifle. It was rather ho-hum in comparison to others I own / have owned. A friend of mine really loved it and there were no regrets letting him have it, nor are there any plans to get another.

DSC00318.jpg

Yea, it's not very exciting rifle. I am almost where you are at, almost.

+1 on the SCAR. The FNAR just looks like a Browning BAR with a Pistol grip to me. I just don't count those two in the same category.

Looked at the SCAR17 at Outpost Armory in Tennesee this past weekend. It is now on my list!

Difficult to compare the two when one is a combat rifle and the other is a specialty rifle that is more suited to hunting. In most all comparisons the SCAR is going to win out. I personally own an FNAR and I have put a new stock on it and trigger job. I have a couple of hundred rounds down the pipe and all I can say the gun is more accurate than ANY Browning BAR I have ever shot. I have not shot a SCAR and cannot comment on it's accuracy personally but I can attest to the accuracy of the FNAR. It is not a 1/2 MOA gun but it is a sub MOA gun if you do your part. Even FN gives it a 1 MOA guarantee.

I also recently purchased a POF 308 20" and the accuracy out of it costing double the FNAR is only slightly better. Although, the POF is a hella lot more rifle as would be the SCAR.

I really like my FNAR but similarly stated above it does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling running up my leg as my POF or a SCAR might.

IMG_0565.jpg

Yes I know the bipod is backwards

I have no knowledge on the FNAR, but just from the pictures I'm looking at, it certainly doesn't grab me.

If deciding between SCAR H and FNAR, I'd have to go SCAR H.

Now that said, seems like if you go that far money wise to get the SCAR H, it would be worth considering an LWRC REPR.

I thought about gettin a REPR for a long long time and then only opted out once I decided I didn't want to continue doing the whole semi-auto 7.62x51 thing anymore. - just kicked me right in the checking account a little too hard lol.

I had the FNAR. It shot ok, but it felt a little cheesy with the cheap-ish plastic stock and forearm. I didn't particularly care for the trigger, but that can be fixed. The high cheekpiece wasn't high enough for me to get behind the scope comfortably. And the magazines are pretty expensive and were hard to come by.

I sold it.

And then I see the McM stock from the SHOT show and shot a few AR-10s (hate that long charging handle) and now I'm really thinking I need that FNAR back. Actually, what I want is the SXAR (same thing in camo), the McM stock, and have my gunsmith put a Brux 7mm-08 barrel on it.

With that said, the SCAR and the FNAR aren't really comparable. One is a true battle rifle, arguably the best battle rifle. The other is a hunting rifle that is converted to a "tactical precision" role.

For the money, I'd have a tough time making a choice between the SCAR and the REPR.

I too am looking at adding a semi-auto .308 to the toolbox. I also have considered both of these rifles.

Long story short..... I decided to pass on both of these weapons because of the proprietary magazines. If FN had designed the SCAR-H to accept AR-10 mags, it would be a no-brainer.

PS - One more downside I had with the FNAR was it lacked a capability to have BUIS. 2 is 1, 1 is none.

I just look at the FNAR for what I believe its true purpose is. One bad ass semi auto 308 pig gun! I have slayed many with mine and it truly does make me smile when I here multiple squeals from all around me. Forget any type of tactical type role, although some departments might find it useful based on its cost and efficient capabilities.

Remember the cost of an FNAR is roughly $1350
Browning BAR in 308 roughly $900
SCAR 17 roughly $2650

You get what you pay for but the cost certainly must play a role with the FNAR. It runs flawlessly and IS accurate but it ain't no SCAR.

Not a fair comparison by the op in my opinion.

I also have an FNAR and when my GGG mount isn't giving me fits I really do enjoy shooting the rifle. Accuracy from my gun is far better than some stated above! While I have no intensions of entering any compititions with my FN I can easily shoot one hole groups at 100 yards all day with it.

I agree with what is stated above! "You get what you pay for!" and usually the more you spend the better it gets…

61d4855c.jpg

I think the FNAR is way too front heavy. The rifle balances poorly, especially the heavy barreled version. I also think it is damn ugly but that is down to personal preference. I'd go with the SCAR from your options, but personally I would go with the 16" REPR.