• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Scent attractants

HMRamateur

Will work for powder
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2019
How many people here play with the store bought scent lures/attractants? I've never really cared too much about them, but I'm curious. I don't believe they will do anything to entice an animal that wasn't already on its way through your area to take a detour. I'm not too sure how much I believe the scent killer sprays will actually kill your scent. You gotta pay attention to wind, just like people have for millenia.

Regardless, I bought some synthetic buck urine and doe estrous urine today. What if I call in a deer, who crosses the path I took in, and smells my tracks, but then smells the synthetic trail I laid out and is so horny he will fight or fuck anything and doesn't get spooked by my scent. I'm curious enough to spend a bit of my money to find out.

Anyone else use scents and had success?

1603166824471.png
lol

• Haha
Reactions: HMRamateur
That guy must have a ton of fun at parties. What do you do for a living? “oh I’m a doe in heat urine procurer”

I use buck and doe urine as well as scent eliminating spray. I also try to keep the wind in my favor, which is the most important part of scent control. However, I figure every little bit helps, and the stuff is cheap, so might as well use it. Especially on the days where I can't quite get in spot where the wind is in my favor.

Years ago when it first came out, I used Code Blue estrous and hung it 50 yards up wind. I had bucks walking up wind with their noses in the air all the time. After a few seasons, it seemed to stop working.

I think a deer's nose is strong enough to tell the difference between a hot doe NOW and a chemical mixture made a while ago. Manufacturers don't need to fool a deer's nose... they only have to fool OUR nose. Heck, deer could probably tell what we had for dinner last night just from a fart.

I don't fool with scents anymore. Just my opinion. YMMV.

Cedarcide spray for scent cover and mosquitoe. (Red Texas Cedar Oil)
fox urine used on a drag walking into a stand.

I have seen deer lick the leaves of a bush where I sprayed the original Scrape Juice Bowhunter’s Setup. This scent was made here in Georgia, but I haven’t seen it in over a decade.

Some old timers say vanilla extract will work. They dilute it and spray it on plants as a curiosity scent.

I have seen a buck come to Tinks 69.

However, I think 99% of it is designed to take our money.

Unless we wear a hazmat suit and stop breathing they can smell us.

There was an article published many years ago by a QDMA wildlife biologist that bowhunts and he reported accounts of deer smelling his trail where he walked 12 hours after.

I've had some work and bring deer in. Most of the times I've ever used them it hasn't. I don't mess with scents anymore.

I hunted them face-to-face and kept the wind on my cheek. Worked. Like it always has.

They are not THAT smart.

Years ago when it first came out, I used Code Blue estrous and hung it 50 yards up wind. I had bucks walking up wind with their noses in the air all the time. After a few seasons, it seemed to stop working.

I think a deer's nose is strong enough to tell the difference between a hot doe NOW and a chemical mixture made a while ago. Manufacturers don't need to fool a deer's nose... they only have to fool OUR nose. Heck, deer could probably tell what we had for dinner last night just from a fart.

I don't fool with scents anymore. Just my opinion. YMMV.
I had the same exact experience with Code Blue- even does would come to the doe in heat and it worked wonderfully and then about I’d guess 2012 it seemed to repel deer. No I use a mix of several types- with excellent results , my sent drag rag has become my best hunting tool. Also have had great luck with our homemade scent killer spray, even taken foxes at .22lr distances dead down wind . They don’t smell like nothing- it natural scents- a few years ago the wild wintergreen was as thick and berries as I’ve ever seen it, very fragrant- several of those leaves were dried and steeped like tea, it seems to work as well as any of our hillbilly DIY cover scents.

Like most, I’ve fallen for the endless options of scents until a few years ago when I stopped and tried on a whim a Fox urine cover scent and I’ve never looked back. Used on the bottom of my pant leg while walking in and keep the wind in my favor and it’s worked.

To say that we are going to trick an animal that is a vegetarian and survives by being a ghost is absurd. To eliminate sent we would need a charcoal suit and a mask...

Pop in a wintergreen chewing tobacco and some fox urine on your boot and give em’ hell!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: rookie7
For cover scent I had an old timer set me straight. Get a trash bag, add hunting clothes (everything!), and a bunch of pine straw. Toss it in a corner for a week and good to go! Works great and is stupid cheap!

Reactions: EN2722
For cover scent I had an old timer set me straight. Get a trash bag, add hunting clothes (everything!), and a bunch of pine straw. Toss it in a corner for a week and good to go! Works great and is stupid cheap!

Less the trash bag, yes.

Trash bags stink like shit themselves.

Reactions: nikonNUT
I maintain: DON’T rely on scent covering, encapsulation, or attractants, and you’ll never have to be let down.

I try to use the wind to my advantage, but Saturday was a typical day for the terrain and region I hunt - the wind came from 4 different directions.

An important question for anyone reading or participating in this thread:

How many of you are bowhunters?

I put my clothes in a Rubbermaid tote with an ozonator. And I use Cmere deer. Persimmon corn. And persimmon crush. I also use the ozinator in my truck and blind. I wanted to test it out so I hot boxed 3 100 cigarettes with the windows up. Started the ozonator and in about an hour my truck smelled like fresh air after a thunderstorm.

Just got some Fox urine. Going to try that instead of doe estrous for awhile. Haven't had any luck using deer piss so far.

For Archery hunting I use Scent Away on my boots, clothes, and gear a then I use Ever Calm Deer Herd and an occasional spray of Tinks 69 during the rut. I’ve filled by buck tag during Archery for the last 3 years. Not sure if my process helps, but I don’t feel like it’s hurting me.

For gun hunting I don’t really do anything special other than to try fuel my truck or pick up any offensive odors.

To OP: depends on what type of buck you are hunting.
Attractants and cover scent etc will not matter with mature bucks (4yr+) actually will be a negative. Mature deer are on a whole other level as far as their awareness. A mature buck can sniff through the layers of molecules and pick out your unnatural cover scents hundreds of yards down range. You don’t think you got busted because you never saw him in the first place. But some people get lucky and kill a giant mature buck while smoking a marb in their diesel soaked work closes...but that will never happen consistently.
I hang my closes outside all through the season. Never wash my closes never come in contact with unnatural synthetic scents.

if you want to just shoot a buck...1yr oldbucks will probably sniff around your doe pee and give you enough time to kill them.
But if you look into the chemistry behind pee you will find that it breaks down so quick it’s ineffective.
I could probably write a dozen paragraphs on it but to sum up...save your money don’t buy cover scents or attractants.Money isn’t going to get you a mature buck...time patience and hard work will get you a giant.