• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Schmidt and Bender 5x25

ccollier

Minuteman
Nov 28, 2009
Preston, GA
I've been searching and reading all I can for quite some time about scopes. I have two Nightforce scopes now- a 5x22x56 and 8x32x56. I really like my scopes and they seem to perform just fine. However, I have this itch to try an S&B scope. If anyone lives anywhere around west central Georgia or east central Alabama, that would not mind a shooting partner one day, I'd buy lunch if we could get together and let me check out your S&B scope. I have a GAP 308 that I'd like to stretch out beyond 200 yds. I have a great place to shoot here where I live, but can only shoot out to 200 yards. Thanks, Shane

Re: Schmidt and Bender 5x25

It's good that you want to try it out first, but let me warn you that once beaten by the bug, you will be saying why didnt I do it earlier. I went from NF to S&B and I am glad that I did. If I may suggest, I would go with mil/mil to optimize the benefits of a FFP scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's good that you want to try it out first, but let me warn you that once beaten by the bug, ... </div></div>Great scopes are like crack, very addicting. One member here suggested shooting heroin was cheaper; he may be right..
sick.gif

I feel the need to chim in here. I too am a NF lover, thay are great scopes. But I too had to get a Bender after shooting one some. They are that good. I have no intention of selling my NF any time soon, its just too damn tough and will be the back up for if the Bender goes down. Just be warned the Bender is the balls, and dont shoot it at short range you will not do it justice take it out to 600 or more and then side by side it with the NF. It will all become "clear" to you what you should do. Enjoy

I hope to get the chance to find out how good they really are. I'm still trying to find out where I might be able to test drive one. Thanks, Shane

I'm not sure that you need any more convincing . . . but, I had two NF's and three USO's. Then I bought an S&B from a friend because it was a good deal. I hadn't actually shot it, but when looking behind it I thought " yeah, this glass is pretty clear, and it looks like a nice scope". Then, I mounted it and shot it. WOW! Only when you're behind it (and at long ranges) does it become evident that the S&B is truly untouchable. I am in the process of selling all my other scopes (except on USO ST10) and have two 5-25x56 PMII's. I sorta wish that I had never got the first one because now all my other scopes seem like crap compared to the S&B when shooting at long ranges. And, I know that's stupid because the NF's and USO's are very good scopes, but the S&B is soooo great that it makes other scopes feel inferior in optical clarity and refinement. I just got behind a Premier Heritage this weekend and it was also garbage compared to the optical clarity and lack of outer image distortion that the S&B provides. I think S&B uses witchcraft and voodoo black magic to make their scopes . . . it's the only logical conclusion.

So, to wrap it up - yes, heroin is cheaper and maybe even less addictive, but not as fun!

My name is Rob and I am an S&B addict...
wink.gif

P6300191.jpg

I'm in the same boat. I have 3 NF scopes and feel they are good, but really want to try a S&B. Problem here (and also must be there) is finding somewhere to look at some. I think I have made arrangements to look at some over the next couple of weeks. Part of me is saying DON"T LOOK, as I'm afraid I'll want one, then my wife will see it and want one also.......

Of course, awesomeness is what results when you combine the greatest 3rd baseman ever with our most dearly beloved robot.

schmidt_bender.jpg

Pimp,
I really do appreciate the offer and I might just take you up on that. Which way are you located? Looks like it might be North and South.

UncleBenji,
It's posts like yours that make me want to take the plunge before I even look through one! ( I like Rob, too)

Rob,
All I can say is "Wow!!" I'm jealous. That's quite impressive.

Icallem,
I know how you feel. I want to try one, but know when I do it's going to cost me.

I also need to learn more about the different turrets and reticles. I only have experience with second focal plane scopes.

Thanks for the replies, Shane

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rob,

I see an empty spot for that new 3-20!!

</div></div>

You know it!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My name is Rob and I am an S&B addict...
wink.gif

P6300191.jpg
</div></div>

WOW..........Must be nice to have three S&B's

There are people on here with many more than that LOL I think Lowlight has like 14 of them. But I do feel lucky to have what I do.

I'm still looking for the opportunity to get behind a S&B.

Thanks, Shane

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My name is Rob and I am an S&B addict...
wink.gif

P6300191.jpg
</div></div>

So Rob, how do I get sponsored by Hornady?

You have to have a good Team PIO like Nomad
wink.gif

Like the others....I like NF scopes. I was considering purchasing a third and I had the opportunity to run a buddy's rifle with a S&B. I sold both NF scopes and purchased 3 S&B's within a 2 month period.

Wow, you guys are sure a bad influence, I've only been shooting tactical for 2 years and have trade up scopes three times, I love my NF scopes. I have shot a S&B a couple of times, but not enough to sell me on the difference. Guess I need to either not shoot one again or really pay attention!

Don't feel bad 2shots. There is always a change in gear over the years. My first scope was a Burris Fullfield in 93' and went to Super Snipers around 98' then Leupolds and since then through the gambit of , Bushnell, Premier, USO, Vortex, NF, Hensoldt, and I am sure others I have forgot. Used lots of scopes. You will find one you like and settle on that does everything you need or want like I did with S&B.

I'm still trying to find a place to shoot a S&B scope. The few guys I shoot with all shoot Leupold scopes so they are no help. Matter of fact, they all think I'm crazy for looking at a scope that costs that much. I've never been to any kind of match before and not sure how I would be received if I just showed up and don't know anyone or anything about how a match runs. I do have a gun that is capable, a 308. Just not sure about me.

How would y'all recommend a fellow get his feet wet and get started shooting with some like minded people?

This is what I have now:
GAP Templar action
Bartlein MTU contour 25" 1 in 11.25
McMillan HTG
Nightforce 5.5-22x56 an a 8-32X56
and lots of 175 gr Berger vlds and 8 lbs of Varget
I also have a Manners MCS-TA with mini chassis on order.

Like I mentioned in the first post, I live in West Central GA and would gladly drive a good distance for the opportunity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccollier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm still trying to find a place to shoot a S&B scope. The few guys I shoot with all shoot Leupold scopes so they are no help. Matter of fact, they all think I'm crazy for looking at a scope that costs that much. </div></div>Most Leupold owners are like that; in constant denial that the European scopes are a lot better. They all say the same thing about the cost. Don't let them sway you, just buy one. No one has ever said they regretted buying an S&B scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've never been to any kind of match before and not sure how I would be received if I just showed up and don't know anyone or anything about how a match runs. I do have a gun that is capable, a 308. Just not sure about me.

How would y'all recommend a fellow get his feet wet and get started shooting with some like minded people? </div></div>Call all the ranges within driving distance and ask when they have matches. Then just show up. At every match, there are always experienced guys that love to help the newbies get started.

wink.gif

P6300191.jpg
</div></div>He is a true glass snob.
wink.gif

The 4th rifle is sitting with no scope.
It's either S&B or nothing.

I have a S&B 8x56 30mm tube illuminated reticle, it is so good at light gathering I can shoot by moonlight, very clear optics.