• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Schmidt and Bender Marksman Sunshade

Re: Schmidt and Bender Marksman Sunshade

After shooting a match in the rain this past weekend, using the sun shade on my NF, I would say it could definitely have some usefulness.
That said, IMHO, a $3800 scope should freakin' come with a sun shade!

Isn't the SB shade just a hunk of rubber?

I keep a couple rubberbands on my scope, and if I need a shade, pull one of the waterproof pages out of my databook, and rubber band it around my objective.

The S&B sunshade I got from SWFA is metal and threads on to the scope. I find it quite useful and have them on all 3 of my S&B scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After shooting a match in the rain this past weekend, using the sun shade on my NF, I would say it could definitely have some usefulness.
That said, IMHO, a $3800 scope should freakin' come with a sun shade! </div></div>

LOL...YES...IT SHOULD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there any benefits to using a sunshade on your S&B?</div></div>
Of course they are - several in fact:

(a) Helps help light rain off of the Objective Lens, reducing the need to wipe the Objective off as often

(b) Helps keep light bright light off of the Objective Lens, helping to prevent glare from washing-out the image

(c) Helps keep light off of the Objective Lens. Reflected light announces your presence in the area

(d) Serves as a rudimentary protective device for the Objective Lens

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> $90 plus for a 56mm 2" shade. Is it really worth it? </div></div>
U.S. Optics makes an excellent <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Sunshade</span></span> to fit the 56mm PMII (they've also made 50mm units is the past as well). U.S. Optic's <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Sunshade</span></span> is well-constructed, Type III hard anodized, and threads directly into the front threads of the PMII (just like the factory S & B Sunshade does). The U.S. Optics Sunshade is also less expensive than the S & B factory Sunshade. However, Since the U.S. Optics unit is Type III anodized the finish doesn't match the S & B's finish. No big deal to mean but it may be for some.

However, U.S. Optics also makes an excellent <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">ARD</span></span> (Anti-Reflective Device) which runs $90.00. The ARD is actually more-efficient than the Sunshade because of the incorporated ARD insert. Not only are the USO ARDs' very efficient - they are also very well made. The USO ARDs' consist of three (3) components:

(1) A threaded, Type III hard anodized aluminum housing, (which by itself is the USO Sunshade), (2) a high-efficiency anti-reflective <span style="font-style: italic">"honeycomb"</span> insert that is expoxied into the aluminum housing, and (3) an aluminum "Stop ring" that limits the depth of the honeycomb insert within the housing.

The <span style="font-style: italic">actual</span> OAL of the Housing is .25" longer than the <span style="font-style: italic">installed length</span> (male .25" thread mates with the female threads at the front of the scope). Therefore, the OAL of the Sunshade (or ARD) of a 2" USO Sunshade or ARD is actually 2.25".

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">USO 2" ARD for 56mm Schmidt Bender:</span></span>
56mmSSARD28x6.jpg

56mmSSARDHoneycomb8x6.jpg

56mmSSARD38x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tac Ops X-Ray 51 w/metalworkwork in Tac Ops OD Green-T & Black-T w/PMII 5-25X 56mm & USO 2" S & B 56mm ARD:</span></span>
X-Ray51BT28RSProfileFF18x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Kimber Model 82B "Classic" with Murphy Precision 25 MOA Two-Piece Base, PMII 5-25X56mm Gen 2 XR CCW, & NEAR Manufacturing Rings:</span></span>
Kimber82BMurphyPrecisionPMII5-25XRS8x6.jpg

As as to whether a Sunshade or ARD is <span style="font-style: italic">"really worth it"</span> that's entirely up the the user. It's totally worth it to mean for the above-mentioned reasons and I have USO-manufactured ARDs' on my two PMII 5-25X[56mm] scopes, with a third ARD ready to be mounted on another PMII 5-25X[56mm]. However, the fact that you had to ask your questions tells me maybe not so much for you...

Keith

Does USO even still make them? They don't list anything for 56mm objectives on the website.

And yes Sunshades can make a huge difference.....if I had, had one at the last winter mammoth...we would have moved up at least 2 ranking slots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does USO even still make them?</div></div>
I don't know for sure, but my guess is <span style="font-style: italic">"Yes"</span>. USO never had them listed on their "old" web site and they only made them in "runs" when needed to fill orders for Resellers. When USO did "run" them they usually made extras to have a few on the shelf. I know several Hide' vendors also carried them, and of course could order them if they were out of stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> They don't list anything for 56mm objectives on the website.</div></div>
That doesn't surprise me, as USO doesn't make 56mm Objective scopes. From what I recall USO never listed any 56mm accessories on their old web site either. A call to USO will answer any questions about the 56mm Sunshades and ARDs' USO makes/made, which are/were available for S & B and Premier scopes.

People should keep in mind that while they look the same, the threading is different between the S & B and the Premier. This means that the 56mm S & B ARD will not fit the 56mm Premier and vice-versa. When I got a Premier 5-25X[56mm] (back in the day when it was first launched) I tried my USO S & B 56mm ARD on it and discovered the threads were different. I then called USO and asked them if they would make an ARD for the Premier, and <span style="font-style: italic">(USO Owner)</span> John Williams told me that he would make one if I loaned him my scope to make the 56mm Premier Sunshade/ARD housing prototype. I did, and my [56mm] Premier ARD was the first production one off the line.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">USO 2" ARD for 56mm Premier:</span></span>
USOPH56mmARD28x6-1.jpg

PH5-25XwUSOARDL8x6-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And yes Sunshades can make a huge difference.....if I had, had one at the last winter mammoth...we would have moved up at least 2 ranking slots. </div></div>
Yep - a Sunshade or ARD can really save you by keeping water and debris off the Objective Lens and from image "washout" in very bright conditions.

Keith

[MENTION=11398]Aries64[/MENTION]

Do you have a part number for that ARD from USO that will fit an S&B PMII? I'm looking on their website, but it's a little confusing as to which one will work.

Thanks.

@Aries64

Do you have a part number for that ARD from USO that will fit an S&B PMII? I'm looking on their website, but it's a little confusing as to which one will work.

Thanks.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but unless John Williams, III (USO owner) changes his mind, USO will no longer manufacture their PMII ARD. USO used to make them in limited runs but that changed several years ago. They listed and sold for $90.00 from USO. Several Hide' dealers used to sell them when they could get them as well. And unfortunately, I haven't seen one go up for sale in several years, new or used.

Keith

Well, that's a huge bummer. If the USO model isn't available anymore for an S&B PMII w/ 56mm objective, does anyone have any recommendations for an alternate? Or a USO for sale? (I had to ask.)

Well, that's a huge bummer. If the USO model isn't available anymore for an S&B PMII w/ 56mm objective, does anyone have any recommendations for an alternate? Or a USO for sale? (I had to ask.)

If you get a Tenebraex ARD for the S&B 56mm you also get the advantage of Tenebraex Tough cap compatibility. Check EuroOptic.

If you get a Tenebraex ARD for the S&B 56mm you also get the advantage of Tenebraex Tough cap compatibility. Check EuroOptic.
[MENTION=54811]hamstur[/MENTION]
Hmm...interesting. I'd be more tempted to jump on that if I hadn't already just bought Butler Creeks. How do those Tenebraex Tough caps hold up? I've heard mixed reviews, but to be honest I've never seen them in person.

How do those Tenebraex Tough caps hold up? I've heard mixed reviews, but to be honest I've never seen them in person.

Personally my favorite cap. Have used them on PR's I owned and have a set on SB 3-20. SB is using them now for a reason. I think the only gripe folks tend to have is they are expensive for a cap+adaptor, and since they are bulky, if your scope is already too close to your bore they won't fit. E.g., a 50mm equipped with TT caps probably requires more clearance than a 56mm with a bikini.