• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Schmidt and Bender PMII 5-45x56 .05 MRAD sloped rail help please

bunny too

Just a cook
Minuteman
May 5, 2020
Wyoming
Good day to you all, I hope this finds you well,
I just received my Schmidt Bender PM II 5-45x56 High Power MT2 Tremor3 .05 mrad Riflescope (666-911-532-I1-H5) scope info and need help determining what is the maximum MOA rail slope I can use and still maintain a 100 meter zero. It has 295 cm of internal elevation adjustment. It will be mounted on a Defiance Deviant Tactical receiver with an integrated 30MOA rail. When I purchase a Spuhr mount how much additional slope can I get away with? I have read that must be zeroed at 100 meters, why is this? What would happen if I did a 200 meter zero? I am looking to get the most usable range I can and at x45 I only have 2.5 mrad of reticle, so not a lot of room for hold overs. Your assistance with this matter is greatly appreciated, I would think there is a formula out there I could apply.
Thank you,
David

The formula for converting mil to moa is as follows for your scope:
295 cm/3.4377moa per mil = 85.813 moa

So your scope has 85.813 moa of elevation adjustment top to bottom

Half of the elevation is centered top to bottom so you have 85.813/2= 42.9 moa down available from centerline of scope travel

You already have 30 moa down integrated for the rail, so your left with (42.9 moa - 30 moa) = 12.9065 moa Theoretically left over for additional cant.

You have to take into account the height of the optic above the rail which for me is unknown at this point to figure exactly what is left to add for additional cant to utilize entire safe elevation range in scope. You do not want the scope to be dead on the bottom as it is not good for the mechanics of the scope to be shot repeatedly in this position (100 yard zero) nor will the optic quality be as clear due to the extreme angle of the internal optics.

If it were mine I would order a zero cant mount as you would theoretically be left with (42.9 moa + 30 moa) = 72.9 moa (21.2 mil) of elevation adjustment. Which is enough to take most rifle cartridges way past 1000 yards.

Hope this helps

Reactions: bunny too
You might consider the ERA-TAC adjustable mounts for your scope if you are concerned about wanting to have a huge elevation range.

As a note, the 5-45x56 has a really big bottom bell, so you'll need to get the 1.85" one I think.
I'll have to go back to my sales records sometime, but I think this is the one I currently use:

The formula for converting mil to moa is as follows for your scope:
295 cm/3.4377moa per mil = 85.813 moa

So your scope has 85.813 moa of elevation adjustment top to bottom

Half of the elevation is centered top to bottom so you have 85.813/2= 42.9 moa down available from centerline of scope travel

You already have 30 moa down integrated for the rail, so your left with (42.9 moa - 30 moa) = 12.9065 moa Theoretically left over for additional cant.

You have to take into account the height of the optic above the rail which for me is unknown at this point to figure exactly what is left to add for additional cant to utilize entire safe elevation range in scope. You do not want the scope to be dead on the bottom as it is not good for the mechanics of the scope to be shot repeatedly in this position (100 yard zero) nor will the optic quality be as clear due to the extreme angle of the internal optics.

If it were mine I would order a zero cant mount as you would theoretically be left with (42.9 moa + 30 moa) = 72.9 moa (21.2 mil) of elevation adjustment. Which is enough to take most rifle cartridges way past 1000 yards.

Hope this helps
You have been extremely helpful! Thank you very much for taking the time to explain and providing the formula, I think I will take your advice and go with a zero cant mount.
Thank you again!
David

You might consider the ERA-TAC adjustable mounts for your scope if you are concerned about wanting to have a huge elevation range.

As a note, the 5-45x56 has a really big bottom bell, so you'll need to get the 1.85" one I think.
I'll have to go back to my sales records sometime, but I think this is the one I currently use:

Thank you! I shall take a look at that mount.
Regards,
David

You're welcome and good luck with the rig. That's a hell of a scope!
I am putting it on a .300 PRC I hope to be able to reach out to 2000 meters accurately which I should be able to do dialed all the way down with 5 MRAD of reticle hold over.

Last edited:
Myself and other friends use the ERA-TAC adjustable mount on our ELR rifles. My Cadex 375ct has a 40 moa rail and I was able to put 10 more moa in the ERA-TAC mount which gave me 33.8 mils of adjustment out of the total 34 mils the S&B 3X27 has. The 300PRC will easily reach out 2000 plus yards with factory ammo and better with hand loads.

Myself and other friends use the ERA-TAC adjustable mount on our ELR rifles. My Cadex 375ct has a 40 moa rail and I was able to put 10 more moa in the ERA-TAC mount which gave me 33.8 mils of adjustment out of the total 34 mils the S&B 3X27 has. The 300PRC will easily reach out 2000 plus yards with factory ammo and better with hand loads.
Were you still able to zero at a hundred or did you do two hundred?

I was able to zero at 100 yards. It was close but i just made it. I also have a Charlie Tarac set at 30 mils so i can shoot out passed 3600 no problem.

I was able to zero at 100 yards. It was close but i just made it. I also have a Charlie Tarac set at 30 mils so i can shoot out passed 3600 no problem.
Wow! You have a nice rig there. Is your C. Tarac scope or rail mounted I am weighing my options on this. I am guessing you are using 1.5" rings?

Last edited:
I have a Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-45x56 on a Barrett M99 w/20 MOA rail chambered in Barrett 416. I was attempting to reach out to 2,300 yards when I realized I didn't have enough elevation in the scope to adjust that far out. I needed about another 20 MOA for that distance so I mounted an ERATAC scope mount and added 30 MOA. I contacted a S&B representative here in the U.S. and he told me to loosen the set screws, turn the turret up 30 MOA, tighten the screws and return the turret back to zero. I did that and it got me back on target at 100 yards. The problem is, it put right back where I was. As soon as I adjust the turret, the button on top of the elevation turret pops up, indicating that I've already made one full revolution (which I haven't) with the turret. That scope allows for two full revolutions on the elevation turret, however, the adjustment the representative suggested took away one full revolution. I need to adjust down one full revolution, however, that requires the elevation to go one full revolution down, past the "zero stop" which it won't do. Can anybody guide me in how I can adjust the reticle so I'm on at 100 yards and still have 2 full revolutions on the elevation turret?