• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Schmidt and Bender...

marine0351

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2011
FL
I just found out I am coming into some extra money and wanted some opinions please.

Currently I have a AICS, Rem 7 SPS .308, with a Millet TRS-1 6-14x50mm scope.

Question: I am thinking about upgrading my scope to S&B from my Millett.
I shoot to 500 yards now and occasionally when I can want to shoot out to 1k yards, I also hunt but want to hit targets over 500 yards as my average.

Will I see a substantial optics difference going from the Millett to a 2500$ S&B scope...?

Also which .mil S&B would you recommend...?

thank you,

Re: Schmidt and Bender...

Here is the scope I am looking at:

Police Marksman 5-25X56/LP

Will my log range abilities improve by using this scope over my Millett...? Is it really clear focussed at 25...?

Thank you....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marine0351</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the scope I am looking at:

Police Marksman 5-25X56/LP

Will my log range abilities improve by using this scope over my Millett...? Is it really clear focussed at 25...?

Thank you.... </div></div>

Unless your finding a good deal used...its more like a 3k scope.

Is there a substantial difference between a Millett and a SB? Yes.

Will your long range abilities improve by using this scope? Not without doing more than that.

Graham is right, Your better off buying 3 grand worth of ammunition, or better yet, split the diff buy a case of the bang capsules (bullets), and go to a precision rifle course.

I agree that your skills will improve much more with some training then getting a better scope. I have an S&B and it does absolutely nothing to improve my fundamentals. I also have one that goes to 25 power but almost always shoot at 10 or 15. Only really go up to 25 when I am spotting for someone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a substantial difference between a Millett and a SB? Yes.

Will your long range abilities improve by using this scope? Not without doing more than that.</div></div>

I agree with Graham and I love S&B scopes as much as anyone. If you are shooting well and just want better optics then S&B is an excellent choice.

But if you are looking to improve your long range skill by buying a scope it won't happen. You would be better off buying a mid priced scope and ammunition and head to a training class.

Thank you for the responses, I am not new to shooting. I shot iron sites in the Marine Corp for 6 years, I was an infantry Marine and did shoot regularly to 500 yards.

I believe I have the fundamentals (though always working to improve), I just do not have a lot of experience with variable scopes. The Millett was the first one I have used and I do usually just leave it at 10x with the occasional 16x shot here and there.

At the moment I put about 200 rounds down range every week (yes every week), I have a lot of free time and my swat buddy gives me 10 boxes of TAP A-MAX police ammo every 2 weeks.

With my current Millett I can keep a tight grouping at 200 yards and ding ding ding consistently at 500 yards (not to tough I realize).

I am planning on going to the GPS Sniper Course and start entering long shot competitions so this is why I asked about upgrading my scope...

Apologies for the long reply...

Depending on the scope you have you may want to upgrade a bit, but not necessarily to a very premium scope. Scope features that have helped me.

Turrets and reticule with the same units. I choose MOA and 1/4 MOA but might have been better off with Mils since more people use Mils.

At least 80 MOA (24 or so mils) of elevation and a 20 moa mounting bracket assuming .308 and shots to 1200 yards.

A zero stop on elevation. This isn't necessary but since I got on I haven't been off by an entire revolution of the knob.

A nice reticule with 1moa or .2 mil hashes both horizontally and vertically.

A zero stop on elevation. This isn't necessary but since I got on I haven't been off by an entire revolution of the knows.

A nice reticle with 1moa or .2 mil hashes both horizontally and vertically.

Scopes with these features are available for about $1000

S&Bs are top notch scopes. Once your shooting warrants an upgrade, I would steer you towards a 4-16x50 PMII with mil turrets.

S&B is the dogs bollocks but if you want a top notch scope but perhaps not the very very best then consider a Nightforce. Don't think you will find many around here with many bad words to say on them.

A 1/4 moa turret allows for slightly better zero adjustment. At 100 yd, 1/4 moa is 0.26175 inches and 0.1 mil is 0.36 inches.

The H37 reticle assists with determining offsets in mil.

Don't get MOA turrets. Get Mil/Mil 5-25x PMII with P4F.
It makes no sense having MILs on the reticle (not reticule) and then MOA on the turrets. I had that config early on since I was trained that way and I realized:

1) the MOA turrets S&B has less available elevation than the MIL turret version. This is a huge issue if you are going out to past 1500 yards, depending on your ballistics of course.

2) your reticle is in MILS and at long distances you'll spot your own misses and can use your reticle and matching MIL turret to do your own fast corrections. Otherwise you have to convert to MOA and that's an unnecessary hassle and time wasting step.

If on the other hand, you are like a competition 1000 yard shooter, then the MOA version makes sense since the 1/4MOA adjustment gives you finer control over where the reticle POA is.

There is nothing wrong with MOA turrets as long as you get a moa reticle. Its crossing units (mil reticle and MOA turrets) that causes unnecessary conversion. If the people you normally shoot with and help with spotting all use Mils (mine don't) you probably win by following the crowd.

PS

reticule is an acceptable alternative spelling

Happy New Year
Marcy