• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SCHMIDT & BENDER 5-25x56mm?

richidaho

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2014
Blackfoot, ID
With the listings on this web forum I have to wonder if a number of dealers dump there demo stock of S&B 5-25X56 scopes hear? I would think a dealer pays less then 3K for one of these beautiful baby's. If you were go to the the optics section right now you would see around 4-6 of them listed for sale. All of them for just over 3K+- $500. I have to wonder is a S&B 5-25X56 like buying gold you pay a wt price +dealer profit %30-40. I wonder do the dealers get a demo for cheep; use it for 1-2 years then sale hear for 3K and just put new demo on there gun's. I'm not knocking these scopes but the price point is just as much as I make in a month. Last $1500 I had to spend the way I wanted could not buy me a S&B so I brought home an IOR 3.5-18X50. Its not an S&B. I will keep dreaming of S&B and keep shooting my IOR and wishing the price would come down so I could afford a S&B.

Thanks,
Rich L

Last edited:
The best deals I have found recently on brand new 5-25x56 models have been around the $3100 new from online dealers. (without the extras like locking turrents, MTC, CCW, FDE etc.) If you start adding a bunch of options, you can hit the 4k mark pretty quick.

As always buying something new from a Dealer will involve paying a mark up as they have to make a living, but part of it also is that in resale value, the S&B scopes hold their value exceptionally well & pretty much the resale price demo or used depends on the condition & one in perfect condition can still command 90% or more of new price.

I don't think I've ever seen a used one sell for lower than about $2400, but most of the newer looking ones, people try to get around 3k.

If a few "experience" marks on a scope don't bother you, save up and wait till someone lists a used one (rather than a safe queen) and you can get one probably around the $2500 to $2700 as too many people are picky about things being perfect. If you need new, then save up about $3200 and get on all the mailing lists and promotion coupon mailing from all the online vendors & wait for the right deal to come up.

A good S&B scope like the 5-25x56 can last you a lifetime and outlast several rifles (just like a really good lens can be used through several different camera bodies).

If you want and S&B, I would say save up for it & it will be worth it. Now that being said there are lots of competing scopes but everybody is trying to push over 3K for them so the 5-25x56 is still a great deal & still to this day everybody compares their scopes to the 5-25x56 as to if they are the same, worse or better.

The IOR scopes are okay and I started out with them, but to be honest, I should have just saved my money and paid more for an S&B scope.
The problem with the IOR scopes is once upon a time they were a good value for the money, but then they almost doubled the prices & they are just not worth what they charge.
The other issue is if you try to sell one, it will often be hard to come away with 50% of the new price.

In comparing to buying Gold, it depends on what you know and how much research you do, Sure you can pay way over the price for gold / silver, but if you do your research, you'll find you can pay a lot closer to base price, but remember again the dealers selling it to you have to make a living. The best way to tell on a dealer is look at their sell price and their buy price, you'll find the bigger volume reputable dealers have a much smaller spread than some of the small local places.

I think the high end scopes like S&B, Nightforce, US Optics, and similar brands are really nice optics. When I shop for items I am really critical of price points. If something is twice as expensive as a competitive model, then I expect twice as much from it. The twice as much can be as diverse as colors available, resale value, performance, options, or simply name brand preference.

The glass in some of these optics are nothing short of remarkable, however, if a scope that costs $2000 will do 90% of what a $3000 scope will do, and they both have the same longevity, I would probably buy the $2000 scope.

For me, personal preference is a big part of my decision. If someone has had great success with S&B compared to brand "X", then I would think they would pay extra for the S&B.

Fortunately for we consumers, there is so much competition for our scope buying dollars that many manufacturers work really hard to get civilians to buy their product. Apparently, there is enough money in military contracts that there is one firearms manufacturer that seems to ignore civilian products and preferences, and focuses primarily on military contracts. With competition in scopes and other products, consumers like myself can ignore those companies and take our business elsewhere.

Quality scopes like those from S&B, US Optics, Nightforce, Leupold, will continue to get a great deal of civilian business because they pay attention to what we are looking for. However, top quality costs top dollars, and some us just don't have the money do drop $3500 on a scope without some planning and/or pain.

From what I've been reading the new Vortex 4.5x27x56 is a giant killer.

Check out LL's review of it. That will likely be my next investment.

I have looked through and store-handled the new Vortex. It is a darn nice scope but nowhere near being an S&B in my opinion.

A quick search showed the S&B 5-25x56 costing $3459-3499 depending on options, while the Vortex 4.5-27x56 cost $2999. With the difference between the two being only (roughly) $500, I think I would hold out for the S&B. The resale value of the S&B would easily justify the extra expense. I had thought that the Vortex would be a little less than the price I found.

The Vortex sells for $2500 and most 5-25x are now above $3600, there were a few leftovers at the previous years price, but the average configuration we use is $3600+.

While the S&B is still the Gold Standard, there is no practical way it commands $1200 more than the Vortex. Especially with the new locking turrets and the problems they have. All that carries the S&B over the line to command such a lead is the name and reputation, however it still has it's share of issues.

Give Vortex time, they are stepping up and doing it right. You can also expect some real announcements from Vortex come 1st QTR 2015.

Sure it's an underdog compared to the S&B, but look how far they have come, in just a few short years we have everyone comparing them to the heavyweights

Look to Steiner in the later part of this year too for optics of comparable quality at aggressively lower prices. The Hensoldts I have I got on good deals or trades but there's no way I'd buy them new at retailer prices and it's not an affordability issue either. It just doesn't make sense to me.

With the aggressive price points taken by Vortex and Steiner with their upcoming Txi range it will be interesting to see how successful Tangent Theta will be given they look to be commanding more $ than S&B.

i hope Vortex and Steiner do set a pricing trend. S&B and especially leupold were out of their minds raising prices that much. i bought my first S&B 5-25 i think 4.5 years ago for $2900 or so and sold it very used for same price. I bought new ones for $3750 each about 1.5 years ago. sold them this Spring and bought the new vortex, cause i mostly agree with lowlight. the S&B is still a little better in both glass and reticle choices, and weight, but for me, the vortex is good enough and i will support vortex (and bushnell, etc) because they support rifle matches

I love my S&B, but for around 2200 the new Vortex is gonna be my next scope. I just spent the 1,000 I saved on a whole lot of berger bullets, and winchester brass and H1000, enough to wear out the barrel on my new rifle. I need to spend more on ammo and less of being a gear whore I think. Can't get better if your not shooting.

I love my S&B, but for around 2200 the new Vortex is gonna be my next scope. I just spent the 1,000 I saved on a whole lot of berger bullets, and winchester brass and H1000, enough to wear out the barrel on my new rifle. I need to spend more on ammo and less of being a gear whore I think. Can't get better if your not shooting.

Haha. 100% AGREED!!