• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Schmidt & Bender Awarded the PSR Contract

Re: Schmidt & Bender Awarded the PSR Contract

awesome, i'm hoping we get these guns before too long. Did i miss any updates on what the rifle is going to be?

I thought it was awarded to the Remington MSR months ago. Was that a different contract?

Schmidt & Bender got the contract for the PSR's dayscope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fuzzytek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Schmidt & Bender got the contract for the PSR's dayscope. </div></div>

No, I get that part.

Joe was wanting updates as to what the rifle was going to be. He always seems to be in the know, so I figured that the Remington MSR was for another contract, and the PSR has yet to be named.

Damn Mike you beat me to it. Guess that's the advantage of being on the westcoast LOL

Great news for S&B who continues to provide one of the top optics in the world. Congrats to all at Schmidt and Bender and to our fighting men and women.

Hi Guys ,

What are the actual specs on this scope ?

Cheers Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">The precision sniper rifle dayscope consist of several configurations that are required for use on existing and future sniper rifles. The configurations are tailored to the sniper’s training regimen, the weapon system effective range, and the weapon system caliber.</span></div></div>

Seems to be several answers to you questions sir!

Well deserved. When I was in OIF and OEF, I worked a bit with some SSTs who provided overwatch for some of the things I was doing. I saw some pretty banged up scopes but the Marines had zero complaints. Some celebratory pis:

DSCN0001.jpg

DSCN0023.jpg

DSCN0373.jpg

well i know for one they are talking about making all SOF fall under the same MIL/MIL scopes now instead of navy using NF and marines using S&B, etc.

the rifle i heard the army or somebody picked up the MSR as a short term fix and they were sending them in 300WM i think but the PSR solicitation had a 1500y accuracy requirement so almost all the submisions were in 338LM. it would figure if remington won it simply cuz remington is the supplier for the MK13, M40 and 24 already. I was hoping that nick and the boys at DTA would get it.

wonder what lead times are going to be now,

also good for them, i'm glad our boys always get the best equipment

What other vendors put in scopes for consideration? I know that USO did (their SN3 5-25x); I would assume NF, something from Zeiss, Leupold.

Congratulations to S.u.B. - our special operators are getting an outstanding tool.

Nightforce did not propose for this solicitation.

This is not the Big Army PSR contract. Army is not even soliciting yet. USSOCOM does not even have a rifle to put the scope on as of yet and may not for another year. They may possibly piggyback on the selection of the Army. The Army will be soliciting for a package. Meaning rifle, optic, ammunition and suppressor. The rifle manufacturers will submit their weapon, packaged with an optic and suppressor from companies whom they form alliances and partnerships with. USSOCOM chose to down select those items individually. Army Procurement prefers to choose through the down selection process but Command wants to procure as a package. This is what has currently held up the Big Army PSR solicitation.

The PSR is not the same as the XM2010 now known as the M2010. Which was a deal where Remington is taking back a few thousand of the Army's M24 rifles that have been fielded since 1988 and upgrading them. They will rebarrel them to 300WM, fit them with the RACS chassis, The Leupold M5 6.5-20 FFP Dayscope, and AAC suppressor. Eventually the PSR will phase those out.

I am happy to see the war fighter getting new, much needed gear......but I am upset that the money will be going to a foreign company again. "Work will be performed in Biebertal, Germany......"
John III

John don't be too upset as I am sure some of the work will be done in the states at their facility in NH. It's been upgraded and is doing not only service/repair but building scopes as well. It's where they will be doing the USMC scope service/repair since they won that contract earlier this year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well i know for one they are talking about making all SOF fall under the same MIL/MIL scopes now instead of navy using NF and marines using S&B, etc.

the rifle i heard the army or somebody picked up the MSR as a short term fix and they were sending them in 300WM i think but the PSR solicitation had a 1500y accuracy requirement so almost all the submisions were in 338LM. it would figure if remington won it simply cuz remington is the supplier for the MK13, M40 and 24 already. I was hoping that nick and the boys at DTA would get it. </div></div>

All good stuff. Awesome that the boys get the best scopes, and I'm with you Joe, would be pretty cool if DTA got the rifle.

A little PSR scope eye candy
PSRSB.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am happy to see the war fighter getting new, much needed gear......but I am upset that the money will be going to a foreign company again. "Work will be performed in Biebertal, Germany......"
John III </div></div>

yep......

Rob, is this scope a specific model, or is S&B going to provide several different scopes?
What are the specs? Reticle?

S&B is always a great choice!
smile.gif

It's that specific model. Don't have exact specs but it's the 5-25x56 with locking MTC knobs.

As for reticles I believe it's going with the Horus as that is what I was shown at SHOT in this scope but I am sure if anything else is needed they will provide it as it was stated in the announcment:

"The precision sniper rifle dayscope consist of several configurations that are required for use on existing and future sniper rifles. The configurations are tailored to the sniper’s training regimen, the weapon system effective range, and the weapon system caliber. The precision sniper rifle dayscope will be used around the world in extreme and adverse conditions including underwater, surf-zone, desert, arctic, jungle and urban environments. "

Tiro got some more specific info for you.

The two PSR scope configurations are as follows:

1. US Army 5-25x56PMII/CM/CCW/Horus reticle/Locking Turrets/Tan

2. US Navy 5-25x56PMII/ 1/4 MOA/CCW/H2CMR reticle/Locking Turrets/Tan

The configurations will be available to the general public in October.

Thanks Rob!
smile.gif

I wonder why?? Navy wants MOA clicks with a mil reticle... their current scopes probably have this setup, but the highly trained shooters that are going to be using this system can convert to mils in a couple of days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am happy to see the war fighter getting new, much needed gear......but I am upset that the money will be going to a foreign company again. "Work will be performed in Biebertal, Germany......"
John III </div></div>

yep......</div></div>

I agree 100%

No problem Tiro. Not sure myself about the Navy but probably what you said.

well i for one want are soldiers to have the best there is available to them and if that means s&b then thats what they should use. would i prefer a usa made product of course but to me that just means the competition needs to step up there game to compete with s&b. Pretty sure they won the contract for a reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiroFijo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Rob!
smile.gif

I wonder why?? Navy wants MOA clicks with a mil reticle... their current scopes probably have this setup, but the highly trained shooters that are going to be using this system can convert to mils in a couple of days.
</div></div>

I was wondering that myself, why would you NOT want a matching click value to your reticle?

Food for thought. Isn't there a US company out there that can make a scope anymore either... Bring it all over on the boat, makes the Chinese happy...Geezz, another US contract gone overseas.. I was under the impression that any awarded government contract would have to be given to a US company???? With all that said, what does that say about USO or NightForce???? Hell even Leupold with there limited LR capabilites??? JMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matthewusmc8791</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Food for thought. Isn't there a US company out there that can make a scope anymore either... Bring it all over on the boat, makes the Chinese happy...Geezz, another US contract gone overseas.. I was under the impression that any awarded government contract would have to be given to a US company???? With all that said, what does that say about USO or NightForce???? Hell even Leupold with there limited LR capabilites??? JMO </div></div>

In all reality, this is a small contract. This was a contract for the USSOCOM PSR Dayscope. Not Big Army. That is still to come. There were 5 submissions to this RFP. Nightforce was not one of them. Our 5-25 FFP scope was not complete in time for the solicitation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 00bullitt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matthewusmc8791</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Food for thought. Isn't there a US company out there that can make a scope anymore either... Bring it all over on the boat, makes the Chinese happy...Geezz, another US contract gone overseas.. I was under the impression that any awarded government contract would have to be given to a US company???? With all that said, what does that say about USO or NightForce???? Hell even Leupold with there limited LR capabilites??? JMO </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">In all reality, this is a small contract.</span> This was a contract for the USSOCOM PSR Dayscope. Not Big Army. That is still to come. There were 5 submissions to this RFP. Nightforce was not one of them. Our 5-25 FFP scope was not complete in time for the solicitation. </div></div>

$34.2 Million? While not on the level of super-huge contracts, that's nothing to sneeze at...

Its also an IDIQ contract meaning that full award may never get fulfilled in its 5 year tenure.

The Big Army PSR contract will be big. It will be in the hundreds of millions.

Sour Grapes? No. NF holds a USSCOCOM contract with CRANE of the same amount. We did not even submit.

Probably the full number will not be fulfilled, but who knows?

That's about 11,000+ scopes. Since it is a 5-25X it is suited for long range sniper rifles, can be used in 308 rifles but seems better suited to 300 WM and 338 LM (338 still not adopted in USA) rigs.

That's a very large number of sniper scopes. How many long range rigs are really out there? M24 total production numbers I think are around 15000, some went to foreign countries, some are retired. M110 total production numbers must be still relatively small. Other Navy/Army sniper rifle variations do not add that much, or do they?

How many NF <span style="font-weight: bold">true sniper</span> scopes (say, 3.5-14X or higher magnification) have been actually delivered to CRANE?

Guys this was a contract under the buy American Clause, but there are a handful of countries which are exempt, these are our closest allies and consists of:

Australia
Belgium
Canada
Denmark
Federal Republic of Germany
Finland
France
Greece
Israel
Italy
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Norway
Portugal
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

S&B will be expanding their service center into Virginia in September and will be assembling these scopes here in the USA, with the future intent to also procure quality parts from the US market so US jobs and workforce are being used to produce the scopes as well as other S&B scopes being sold.

Guess there is always someone who has to piss on someone else's parade. Huh 00?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am happy to see the war fighter getting new, much needed gear......but I am upset that the money will be going to a foreign company again. "Work will be performed in Biebertal, Germany......"
John III </div></div>

My thoughts exactly. Yay our guy's get to run Schmidt & Benders a win for them, too bad that American money is going to a foreign country.

I can't share numbers like that on a public forum, but a rather fair amount of F1's have been delivered.

Keep in mind that these are USSOCOM contracts. Not Big Army.

Rob....I'm not sure whose parade is getting peepeed on.

No reason to come in here and start down talking the awarding of the contract to S&B. They got it and it's a big win for the people who are going to be using it but as usual here on the Hide as of late there is always someone or a group that has to come in and put a negative on it.

Ask yourself if you would want to be treated the same if Nightforce was happy with the awarding of a contract and wanted to share it with others and got what you are posting? I would expect more from someone in the industry.

In no way am I down talking this at all. Just stating some fact for comparison sake. I'm thrilled that S&B was awarded the contract for the same reasons everyone else is. I agree with everyone on this thread that our fighting men should have top tier equipment. All the companies that submitted for this solicitation would have been great choices. The competition for the selection was fair and just. I have zero qualms or complaints.

If the fact that I down played the amount of the contract sounds like naysaying, consider the way I worded it.

My intended purpose was to share what information I can from the inside.

Perhaps NF did really see this one as "not worth it", as he said they didn't even submit for it. Or perhaps it was because they didn't have an appropriate model ready to submit.

Looks like the only one "complaining" here about this one was USO with their gripe being that it should have been a US-based company to get it. That, I can understand.

00bullitt,

What about the new NF that was shown to some at the 2011 SHOT show. From reports, it sounded like it was far superior to anything else available.

Do you expect this model to be ready within a year, or less? Will you be vying for the big army contract?

-Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The two PSR scope configurations are as follows:

1. US Army 5-25x56PMII/CM/CCW/Horus reticle/Locking Turrets/Tan

2. US Navy 5-25x56PMII/ 1/4 MOA/CCW/H2CMR reticle/Locking Turrets/Tan

The configurations will be available to the general public in October.</div></div>

Great info Rob! Thanks for sharing...

Mason @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 00bullitt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matthewusmc8791</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Food for thought. Isn't there a US company out there that can make a scope anymore either... Bring it all over on the boat, makes the Chinese happy...Geezz, another US contract gone overseas.. I was under the impression that any awarded government contract would have to be given to a US company???? With all that said, what does that say about USO or NightForce???? Hell even Leupold with there limited LR capabilites??? JMO </div></div>

In all reality, this is a small contract. This was a contract for the USSOCOM PSR Dayscope. Not Big Army. That is still to come. There were 5 submissions to this RFP. Nightforce was not one of them. <span style="color: #CC0000">Our 5-25 FFP scope was not complete in time for the solicitation</span>. </div></div>

Pin%20Pulled%20Grenade.jpg

knfut.jpg

We never saw it as "not worth it". You are correct that our product for submission was not complete and ready when the solicitation came out. This $32M contract for USSOCOM is nice, but in the scheme of the Big Army numbers it is small. Thats all that was meant.
NF does plan to submit for the Big Army PSR solicitation if/when it is released.

I'm very happy for S&B, congrats. What ever happened to the "best man getting the job" guys? If the S&B works the best for our fighting men, then more power too them. Just like with the USMC IAR M27 (HK416), if it kicks a$$, and brings them home safer, faster, and ALIVE why not? And they are our staunch ally. It's not like it went to NC Star!

If this contract is for 11,000 scopes, to what extend was the bidder's capability to manufacture that many scopes within a limited time-frame considered?

USO is a small company - could they manufacture that many scopes and do anything else but make PSR scopes?

With the economy in the shitter and defense cuts coming 34.2 mil might not seem to be a piddle ass contract very shortly.

For the sake of education, I'm not slighting S&B, I just want to share what I know based on my experiences in the industry. This $34.2M contract is not a guarantee of funding. It is IDIQ. Meaning Indefinite delivery/indefinite quantity. It says that USSOCOM has the ability to spend up to that amount over the 5 year tenure of the contract.

I'm tickled for S&B....and our troops to get the gear they need.

But in the scheme of Big Army contracts. This USSOCOM contract represents about 20% of what Big Army would have spent for a similar contract. NF received a similar contract of this nature for the same dollar amount last year. The amount of product that actually gets delivered is not a guarantee, but it is possible. Just not likely.

So with this final statement, I will back myself out of these discussions. My intent was to provide factual information as opposed to speculation and rumors that run rampant on the internet.

Congrats S&B!

ID/IQ also means the government can exercise the option -- and the Army and Marines could buy the scope as part of their contracts.

Big Army hasn't put out a PSR solicitation and can easily drop the optic (just as SOCOM separated the optic from the main PSR solicitation).

As far as the Navy requesting the 1/4 MOA turrets with the H2CMR Reticle........ it is probably mostly just inertia. They have been teaching the use of the Mil reticle for range estimation, using yards for distance 1/4MOA adjustments for so long (since the 80's), I think they were just leary of changing... This would not be my choice, but they didn't ask my opinion... at least on this issue..
wink.gif

I would have picked one or the other...and probably just gone with the whole metric system, even though I have been doing it their way for the past 20 years.

At the last class they did try using the NF 5.5-22X56 with the NP-R1 reticle on the Mk13 instead of the mil-dot, but I guess there is still too much disagreement to switch to a consistent all Yard/MOA/MOA or Meter/Mil/Mil system... At least they are getting some great glass, and with the time I did have behind the H2CMR reticle, I like the finer holds available.