• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Schmidt Bender Double turn, or MTC LT Turrets

tsonda

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2014
Central Texas
I'm looking at getting a SB PM2 5-25. I'm curious why you like DT, or MTC Locking Turrets and Why? Thanks

I personally like the Locking Turret feature. The MTC I could take it or leave it. I think the clicks are a little more positive on the LT turrets. Zeroing the optic is a breeze on the LT/MTC turrets, and they always line up (since you are clicking to zero, then relocking).

The couple hundred dollar up charge, on an optic at this price point, it is simple math to get the locking turret feature. It is really nice piece of mind, knowing when the turret is locked, you aren't going to accidentally slip it on accident.

DT feel more tactile with firmer clicks. The LT is a nice feature if you want/need it though. MTC is a love or hate thing depending on the individual.

I have DT/LT on mine and I love it. I’ve was watching a video the other day of a guy showing the MTC on his and the heavy clicks at Mil intervals seemed pretty serious. Whenever he was clicking out of them it jumped .2 each time. Seems like it could be hard to dial that .1 past a full mil.

Like the others I prefer the feel of the DT and don't care much for the MTC. LT feature is nice but not a deal breaker if it's not available. If you're willing to wait, S&B has a new turret planned that will allow you to activate/deactivate the MTC detents.

I have one of each. I can say that I really like the MTC, and I love the lockable turrets. I like being able to lock down my windage on my H2CMR reticle and just hold wind. Since the reticle has .2 mil hash marks, I don’t dial wind with that reticle. It’s fine enough to be really accurate. The MTC is nice when dialing up 9-10 mils. Very positive and easy to keep track of w/o looking. My 5-25 is the Gen 2 XR DT. I like it plenty, no complaints at all. It was my first S&B. If I never knew any other way, I certainly wouldn’t complain. I hear about folks having a live/hate with the MTC. I guess I can see it, however, I think the benefit outweighs the potential Fisk’s of overturning. For me...... just my opinion.

The other option is to try it, if you dislike it that much, send it in to S&B, and they will disable it. That’s the best deal, again......just my opinion. No risk in trying it that way.

I have one of each. I can say that I really like the MTC, and I love the lockable turrets. I like being able to lock down my windage on my H2CMR reticle and just hold wind. Since the reticle has .2 mil hash marks, I don’t dial wind with that reticle. It’s fine enough to be really accurate. The MTC is nice when dialing up 9-10 mils. Very positive and easy to keep track of w/o looking. My 5-25 is the Gen 2 XR DT. I like it plenty, no complaints at all. It was my first S&B. If I never knew any other way, I certainly wouldn’t complain. I hear about folks having a live/hate with the MTC. I guess I can see it, however, I think the benefit outweighs the potential Fisk’s of overturning. For me...... just my opinion.

The other option is to try it, if you dislike it that much, send it in to S&B, and they will disable it. That’s the best deal, again......just my opinion. No risk in trying it that way.

I agree with the MTC/LT being a great setup. I really like the LT feature, and as stated above is great for a set and forget setup. I will occasionally roll wind, but again, I lock it in before I shoot. same with elevation on a single distance stage, lock it in.

it can be difficult to get to .1 mil over the MTC, but that's ok. don't dial it. in a match and you are shooting mult tgt that you are dialing for, just dial to say 4.0 rather than 4.1 and hold the .1 mil. there isn't a target ive seen at a match that this couldn't be done successfully at. and its much faster. heck, I would prob dial 4.0 and hold under the .1 if it were 3.9.

the other benefit is the higher mil settings you know you are on the full mil. ive seen a lot of scopes (and high dollar ones at that) that once you get up to 8, 9, 10, 11 is mils the hash marks are just a bit off as the spacing from the engraving wasn't perfect. then its always "am I on 8.6 or 8.7?" with the MTC, its just 6 clicks past the hard click at 8 and you know where you are.

I have both the DT and the MTC-LT. I like both equally but would choose the latter if I bought another S&B. All it takes is the windage turret turning by accident once when in the drag bag to make someone a convert. I went from getting a $$$$ prize off the table to a $$$ prize off the table that time just from this one mistake.

Furthermore, the MTC is more intuitive. You look at and feel the full mil and clicks. Just land yourself in the middle and either back up or go forward a few clicks, don't even bother trying to do one click past the full mil, like for example 3.1. Dial quickly to 3 something and back up a few clicks. Also if shooting at night, or if you forgot your glasses, the MTC is awesome.

Ok thanks for input guys. I have a new in box SB MTC/LT, not mounted yet. I was looking to trade it for a different reticle. Mine is MSR and I was wanting a Gen2xr. Just wanting input in case I run across a Schmidt with DT. Thanks

I have both DT and MTC. Both are easy to use but I too have an issue when trying to get to .1 over a mil click. VegasHKShooter suggested that SB can disable that feature. That sounds like a good idea!

If you are getting the 5-25X56, be aware that it tunnels (or at least the one I have does) below 8 power. I have a 3-27X56 that does not tunnel through the entire range. I use 3-27X56 on my 300 RUM for hunting. I like having a wide field of view at low power. I shot a cow elk last Saturday at 150 yards and needed the widest field of vision possible because the animal was moving.