• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Schmidt & Bender lens is made of ???

CCCP2k

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2011
Canada
Hi all

I know I have been kinda "troll" lately but still you got to see this.
This is my S&B lens with funky scratches on it. I have no idea how it happened. The scope had always sun shade on it and caps of cause. So be it.
Now, look at the reddish blob around the scratches. What is this? It does not look like mechanical damage. Some chemicals went through?
I wonder, what would it take to scratch a lens like that? Must be a diamond or this thing is plastic.
Has it ever happened to you? Do you think it will impair scope performance?

Last edited:
Some cleaning solvents can damage the coatings like that, and the scratches? Well I have to ask how are you cleaning it?

It's towards the edge so performance effect should be fairly marginal, but only you will be able to judge that. I wouldn't sweat it much and keep shooting.

Scratches on the front element do not impair optical performance. The only way it can affect performance is an increase in flaring (loss of contrast and resolution) when sunlight is directly hitting the lens. As long as light sources aren't directly shining on the lens, you will probably never see it.

Now if the scratches are on the ocular piece... well you'll notice that. :p

Scratches on the front element do not impair optical performance. The only way it can affect performance is an increase in flaring (loss of contrast and resolution) when sunlight is directly hitting the lens. As long as light sources aren't directly shining on the lens, you will probably never see it.

I don't know the specifics, but this holds truth.

Look at camera forums with lenses that are cracked and yet still take good pictures.

To me, it looks like a scratch and damage to the coating of the lens.

Schmidt & Bender lens is made of ???

First take a Q-Tip and some acetone and make sure that it's really a scratch.

In regards to acetone, are there different types of acetone for optics or generic acetone from home depot will suffice in cleaning lenses?

This is what I am thinking. The only reason why I started to look at it was flaring when I was shooting against the sun. Sunshade did not help. There was a lot of reflected light on the range this day as well. Otherwise I cannot see any changes.

Some cleaning solvents can damage the coatings like that, and the scratches? Well I have to ask how are you cleaning it?

It's towards the edge so performance effect should be fairly marginal, but only you will be able to judge that. I wouldn't sweat it much and keep shooting.

I did not clean it at all. Sunshade kept it more or less clean. I did not bother to make it perfectly clean because it's a large lens and usually gives me more than I need. I wiped out moisture couple of times with clean soft cloth. That was it.

Flaring sucks but it disappears when I use lower magnification or shift my eye a little bit. So I will take you advice and forget about it or will have S&B to fix it. They gotta admit that the material is fragile. I expected a military scope to be tough with reasonable extent. This scope was treated very carefully and somehow it managed to get a scratch.

Last edited:
In regards to acetone, are there different types of acetone for optics or generic acetone from home depot will suffice in cleaning lenses?

As long as it is 100% acetone, it will work. Change Q tips often. Especially if the lens is very dirty.

Just a warning, DO NOT SMOKE WHILE USING ACETONE! Unless you want a very bad surprise, BOOM and BURN!

Acetone is scary flammable, please be careful guys. This is a Public Safety Announcement! :>)

Wearing a mask when working with acetone is also a smart move....though I'm sure a q-tip's worth is safe.

Using acetone in a well ventilated environment is recommended. It can cause chronic respiratory problems.

Out of curiosity...will plain rubbing alcohol work as a substitute for acetone - for cleaning optic lenses?

:confused:

The answer to the OP's question, of course, is glass....

I've never used acetone, being a powerful solvent, to clean a lens...Zeiss pre-moistened wipes (alcohol) and a secret soft cloth are all I've ever used to clean a lens, ever.

Alchohol is all I ever use on my camera equipment and scopes. Acetone won't hurt the coatings but it's hard on any plastic it touches.

L

edt: Don't use rubbing alcohol.

Last edited:
Suggest you get a camera lens brush and some compressed air. Giottos makes a handheld air duster that works well (Giotto Rocket)

Before making any contact to the lens, hold lens facing down and blast air from under it to knock off any loose grit. Lightly brush with a soft camera brush and continue blasting with air. +1 on Zeiss lens wipes to clean lens after dusting. I prefer lens wipes as they don't have any fibers to trap dirt vs Q-Tips