• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes schmidt & bender summit

johnnyappleseed

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2011
Cody, Wyoming
can somebody tell me about them?

i've decided to get rid of my ffp nightforce because it's too big, bulky, and heavy (reminds me of someone i know)

i'll be hunting coyotes, antelope, and deer as far as i can see them

anyway i'll probably get the smaller nf 2-10 with a 600 yard reticle

but a s&b summit might work instead

i'm wondering about the dialing

it'll have to be moa because i'm not gonna mess with mils

would i be able to customize a dropchart to my rifle bullet's ballistics?

Re: schmidt & bender summit

The Summit is built to the same standards as all S&B. You can count on it. The problem is that it only has 18 MOA of elevation travel and an elevation turret is not an option and it can't be retrofitted. S&B had a good idea with this scope. For me it would be the perfect hunting scope with more elevation range and an elevation turret. Alas, it fell short.

Dave, even though it has an elevation turret, the 3-12x42 has only 15 MOA of total elevation travel. To be remotely effective you'd have to make sure the scope was zeroed at the very bottom of its range. Good luck with that! These scopes are built for the European market who apparently does very little dialing of turrets in the field.

is there such a thing as a schmidt under $2000 that'll get me out to 1000 yards? maybe a fixed 10 power?

25 06 winchester sporter
117 grain btsp
3168 fps
200 yard zero

The 10X PMII seems like the ticket for you (being in Wyoming). I cant justify it down south in the timber. Wish they made the same scope in a variable 2.5-10x42.

Feel free to send me that NF to be properly disposed of.
grin.gif

The chart is for the Klassics. Looks like 27 MOA total on the 10x42. You'd need a 20 MOA base and it'd probably work.

ST = Standard
LM = Light Metal
LMS = Light Metal with Rail (Not applicable to you)

S%2526B%2520Klassic.jpg

I wish someone could explain S&B logic on the elevation ranges. The 10x42 is only offered in the standard and the LM Rail version. The rail version has 47 MOA of adjustment. The standard version has 27 MOA of adjustment.

How about a March 3-24 at 22oz or Premier light hunter at 24oz?

I have a NF 2.5-10/LV600 ret, good scope.

Personally I'd get a scope with more total elevation than that S&B even at the sacrifice of weight and length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave, even though it has an elevation turret, the 3-12x42 has only <span style="color: #990000"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">15 MOA of total elevation travel</span></span></span>. To be remotely effective you'd have to make sure the scope was zeroed at the very bottom of its range. Good luck with that! These scopes are built for the European market who apparently does very little dialing of turrets in the field. </div></div>

Not sure where you got that info from but that is far from accurate. I personally have two of the 3-12x42s on hunting rifles and they both have just shy of 40 MOA of total internal travel. One of the best hunting scopes available as far as I am concerned. Put a P3 or Gen II in it and it makes a very fine hunting scope.

Jerry, you would know and thanks for chiming in! The information came straight from the S&B Klassic manual (see above). I'd love to be wrong. Where are specs? Apparently the "Precision Hunter" line (which is a Klassic) is not on the website nor in the manual downloads on the website.

The precision hunter is the same scope internally as its basic Klassik counterpart with the exception of a field lens and parallax adjustment.
Not sure where any specs are on these models. I'd be more than happy to help provide any info I possibly can and have on hand if you need it.

The information on the Precision Hunter will be much appreciated. PM sent with email address.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jerry, you would know and thanks for chiming in! The information came straight from the S&B Klassic manual (see above). I'd love to be wrong. Where are specs? Apparently the "Precision Hunter" line (which is a Klassic) is not on the website nor in the manual downloads on the website. </div></div>

Isn't that how much elevations from a single revolution of the knob?

The standard klassik knobs have between 3-4 revolutions depending on 3-12 or 4-16. Without checking I'm pretty sure the 3-12s have about 110-120 clicks of adjustment (11-12MRAD). I have the precision hunter elevation on one and standard knob on my hunting scopes.
The MRAD (cm) precision hunter knob allows 32 cm (3.2 mil) of elevation adjustment.

Jerry, I am still confused about the specs in the chart. Can you please explain what the 15.7" / 40 cm of "adjustment range" for the 3-12x42 represents?

I have to admit, that chart is a little misleading. I have no idea where the 15.7 came from. Every 3-12x42 I own or have seen has 30 clicks/rev and approx. and 35-40 MOA of total travel.
The 40 cm of travel listed in the same column for the 3-12x42 is also a mystery to me.

I took it at face value, partly because I talked to Mark at S&B last week specifically regarding the Summit (I know its a totally different scope). He confirmed a total elevation adjustment of 18" (total, not just one revolution). Since it had such a limited range the values on the chart didn't surprise me.

Right you are, the Summit is a <span style="font-style: italic">completely</span> different animal.
Personally, I prefer and will continue to buy the Klassik for my hunting rifles.
The Zenith is also a good piece of glass but you can encouter mounting issues on most long action receivers due to the shape of the objective bell.

looks like i'd be stuck with the cheapest s & b on the market which is the classic fixed 10 power

if i got the moa version, how many moa of elevation travel would it have?

I found these pics of of a S&B 3-12x42 PH turret from a scope that was listed here in the classifieds a while back. As Jerry said, while the total internal adjustment is 11-12MRAD, the turret limits this to only 3.2mil (approximately 11 MOA). This will only get you out to about 600 yards with clicks. Bummer!
IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg