• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Schmidt & Bender Zenith. Optical quality?

Scottyman

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2008
Maine
I'm curious how the Zenith line compares optically to the Diavari and the Swaro Z6 line?
Sharpness. Resolution. Brightness ect.
I found a great deal on a S & B Zenith 1.5-6x42 which would replace my Elite 4200 on my 6.8 AR.

Re: Schmidt & Bender Zenith. Optical quality?

You will be extremely happy with it. I like getting in scopes any throwing them on a tripod with a rail to test them out against different color contrast backgrounds, usually I can notice some type of abberation, but I've never seen it with a S&B. You definitely pay for a nice scope, but the S&B are worth it.

Trevor B.

had a zeiss, the swaro z6i and the zenith 3-12x50 right next to each other.

went for the zenith. flashdot is tons better than the shiny fly-shit in the z6i: for the z6 you get a tiny dot in the center, but the reticle is 'broken' there. the flashdot is a normal reticle (fine cross all the way) with the light put on top of the cross.

optical quality - all of them are great and i doubt you can see a difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottyman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm curious how the Zenith line compares optically to the Diavari and the Swaro Z6 line?
Sharpness. Resolution. Brightness ect.
I found a great deal on a S & B Zenith 1.5-6x42 which would replace my Elite 4200 on my 6.8 AR. </div></div>

S&B only makes the best, no second tier scopes

Another concern is the #7 crosshair may be too fine for hunting at 6X. Are they hard to see at 6X in low light?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccoker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is the one you are looking at not illuminated?
what do they want for it? </div></div>

Not illuminated. $1200.

I have the S&B 1.5-6 FD-9 and it works well in low light with and with out the illumination. The #7 recticle would be good illumination(FD7) but without it, it's going to be hard to see in low light.

The FD9's center crosshairs are fairly thin but I have no problem seeing them on a deer 30 minutes past sundown...

a dark hog, the illuminated dot helps if it's later than than that

I would say it's going to depend on what you are going to use it for

i have the fd7, but didn't use the flashdot so far.

i have no problems at all seeing the crosshair. last time i used it chamois last years late-oct close to 3km above sea level. they already have their winther-fur which makes them mainly black. still - no problem with the unilluminated #7.

Thanks for the replies.
Would S&B install a flashdot reticle if I wanted?