• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

School me on 6 creedmoor vs 6.5 creedmoor for hunting/long range/PRS applications

man32ahan

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2018
Fairfield, Illinois
Which is the better all around caliber for do it all hunting/LR/PRS matches?

I do not reload and will only be buying factory ammunition (Hornady fanboy). The only hunting applications will be varmints so not too worried about knockdown power as both calibers are more than enough for varmints.

Was set on 6.5, but have been doing some research on 6cm. So, basically talk me into or out of either caliber.

Thanks in advance.

6.5 has greater factory ammo support. Also less overbore so should have a bit better barrel life. For a factory ammo only rifle, I think 6.5 is ano brainer. I've never seen any 6creedmoor ammo on a store shelf.

It’s going to come down to barrel life.
In my opinion the 6 is better.
Flatter ,faster,less recoil= more enjoyable to shoot
Slightly Less energy is the main trade off but you stated varmint hunting mostly,which would favor the 6 creed , it’s no slouch for deer either.
108s for factory ammo are great , for varmints the 87 vmax at 3400 is very explosive.
If not constantly rapid fired the barrel will last,
Albeit not as long as the 6.5.
Do you want 1 barrel to last 5 years or is getting a new one after 2 or 3 palatable?
Just guessing how much you may shoot.

Reactions: man32ahan
I believe the 6.5 wins in your case just based on barrel life and availability of factory ammo. Hornady offers good ammo for both but it’s definitely harder to find the 6creedmoor ammo in stock at your local shop. The 6mm version is hot right now because of the lower recoil and extra velocity.

I prefer 6mm for varmints. I vary bullet weight depending on distance and type of varmint, but in general I like to keep bullets in the 40-100 grain weights. The 6creed is much better suited to these bullets.

6.5Creed has been around longer and has more factory ammo options, a trend that isn't likely to change as it will likely remain more popular with the masses as it is more versatile for hunting larger game animals. Though most of those options are 120 grain plus, which isn't my preference for most varmints.

6 creedmoor is new but there is going to be plenty of factory ammo soon enough. 6mm bore is definitely going to be flatter shooting and better for varmints. I'm a big fan of both bore sizes, and have a 6mm Rem, .243 AI, 6.5 Creed, 6.5 x 284, and now a 6 creed on order.

Barrel life is really a non-issue for almost all but the most hardcore shooters. It takes most people a long time too get 1,500 to 2,000 rounds down the tube, and even then accuracy would be good enough for almost all varmint shots.

Or better yet - get a barrel in both. That's what I ended up doing.

Get a action wrench, torque wrench and barrel vice, and now you have the best of both worlds.

If I had to choose one then I would choose the 6.5 Creedmoor. More ammo options, you can shoot it for anything you want and you get better barrel life. I like the 6mm Creemoor too but if you have to choose go 6.5 Creedmoor.

I have competed with a 6cm for several years now and its a fantastic round. I tell everyone who ask this question. If I could only pick 1 for a do all, which would it be? My answer is 6.5 cm. The wide range of bullets makes if very adaptable. 95 for varmint. I loaded 123 Amax stuff as a blend on long range plinking and predator/varmint. The 123 works great for dropping coyotes!. Then you have the 143 range bullets for larger game.. Just my opinion.

I have switch 100% from 6.5 creed to 6 creed because less recoil which helps with accuracy and is much flatter at distance than a 6.5 creedmoor.
My wife has just switched to 6 creedmoor in her tactical rifle but is hanging on to her hunting 6.5 creedmoor for deer, hog and elk hunting. Either one is a good choice on deer but 6.5 creedmoor a better choice for large game like elk.
My daughter loves the 6 over 6.5 based on less recoil.

However, when asked by a person wanting one all around rifle for steel and hunting, I always recommend 6.5 creedmoor. But in your case, if you don't plan to use the rifle on anything larger than varmits and predators, I recommend 6 creedmoor.

From what I am understanding 6.5CM is more versatile for various activities and PRS. But 6CM is the best choice for straight competition matches.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
6mm is enough for deer, but in the same way .243 is. Whitetail, sure, muleys or elk... kinda on the slim side IMO. Not that it can't be done because obviously it can, you just get more limited by bullet selection (especially being a non-reloader) and the shots you can/should take vs. a 6.5 with up to 40% more bullet mass (penetration) and more and better big game bullets available.

For varmints it's mostly a wash. 6 might lead slightly in it has flatter trajectory and less recoil.

For PRS, the 6 has a slight advantage insomuch as most targets are placed within the realm that the 6's higher MV means flatter trajectories, and wind isn't significant enough a difference to matter. It's slightly more forgiving on trajectory, and has less recoil. On longer targets, 6.5 will have the wind advantage with higher BC's, and will also give more distinct splashes-- easier to spot both hits and misses.

How much better is it? Personally I don't think most of us can shoot the difference. I ran a .243 Ackley for a while pushing 105's at 3150 and I don't really think I do much better or worse on average now that I'm shooting 6.5 Creedmoor with 147's @ 2800. Give and take...

The biggest deciding factor for me is that the 6 is a 1500-2000 round barrel life cartridge, 6.5 is more in the 2500-3500 range. All totally dependent on how you shoot and clean and what velocity/accuracy loss you'll accept as the barrel burns out. FWIW, my 20" 6.5cm is my "do it all" bolt action rifle.

Next year there will be a 6mm creedmoor ai that will be the latest greatest. It’s gonna use 87 grainers for even less recoil. ;)

Reactions: smtitmelevi
And how is that so ?

Well, ignoring common units since units don't really mean much in this comparison...

Energy= 1/2mv^2

6cm: 1/2 * 105 * 3000^2 = 472,500,000 gr*(ft/s)^2
6.5cm: 1/2 * 140 * 2750^2 = 529,375,000 gr*(ft/s)^2

Impulse = m*v

6cm: 105* 3000= 315,000 gr*ft/s
6.5cm: 140*2750= 385,000 gr*ft/s

And assuming a fixed rifle mass, it will have a higher velocity in the opposite direction with the 6.5 creedmoor whether you use conservation of energy or conservation of momentum.

eta: and the root cause for all of this is powder burn efficiency loss through a smaller hole.

Well, ignoring common units since units don't really mean much in this comparison...

Energy= 1/2mv^2

6cm: 1/2 * 105 * 3000^2 = 472,500,000 gr*(ft/s)^2
6.5cm: 1/2 * 140 * 2750^2 = 529,375,000 gr*(ft/s)^2

Impulse = m*v

6cm: 105* 3000= 315,000 gr*ft/s
6.5cm: 140*2750= 385,000 gr*ft/s

And assuming a fixed rifle mass, it will have a higher velocity in the opposite direction with the 6.5 creedmoor whether you use conservation of energy or conservation of momentum.

eta: and the root cause for all of this is powder burn efficiency loss through a smaller hole.
Thanks for the info Sir, we are all here to learn.

Reactions: Ledzep