• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

School me on small rifle primer reloading

Graywolf.260

rocket surgeon
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2010
Refuge des cosmiques
Just got some Peterson 260 Rem Palma brass. Loaded 50 rounds with CCI SRPs after getting a small rifle primer seater. Btw it shoots great.
Now trying to reload- decapping with Lee universal decapping die and it doesn't work. Is the pin too fat? do I need a special small pin decapping die?

Yes the pin is probably too far and getting stuck in the flash hole.

At least Lapua 6.5 creed brass is that way. I had to ditch my universal recapping die and get the. Brownells branded one. It comes with replaceable pins for small flash holes.

It’s not the small primers that are the culprit. It is the small flash hole. For example, 223 uses small primers but has a .08” (large) flash hole

I ran into that issue with Lapua 6.5 creedmoor brass. I took the decapping rod out of a Lee collet die and sanded it down to fit the Lapua brass flash hole. Works great now