• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

School me on some dry fire drills

operator1911

Minuteman
Oct 24, 2008
Parachute, CO
What kind of dry fire drills do you guys do that you find effective?
The drill I have put together is basically this. I set up a small target across the room. Then I set up my rifle in a prone position and set my scope to the lowest power so I can see the target. I then practice breathing while keeping the recital still and practice trigger control. Then I reset and do it again. Any other suggestions that you guys find effective.

Re: School me on some dry fire drills

Well i live by the woods so i target a tree and practice that way and works ok, but once you use objects in the neighborhood and people see you they start freaking out for no reason, damn democrats.

buy an IOTA. do a search, Indoor Optical Training Aide. might help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">buy an IOTA. do a search, Indoor Optical Training Aide. might help. </div></div>
Thanks I will have to look into getting one of those. Anybody else got some good dry fire tips.

I also use the IOTA and shoot at a piece of string. That really helps me focus on npa and good trigger pull.

If you are using a semi-auto, you could also practice some "immediate-action drills". Just need dummy rounds for fail to fire etc...No live rounds needed and you can do it indoors.

I dry fire about every day. Have a series of smaller and smaller circles posted 25 meters away. I aim out the glass slider. I practice off-hand, sitting and prone. I wear my shooting jacket and glove.

Diameter of circles ranges from about 3 inches down to about size of a dime. I hold on a circle in a given position until I can hold consistently within the circle. Then I move to the next smaller circle. I drew the circles by hand with a compass, colored them in and laminated it.

Hold means this: steady sight picture within the circle, break the shot and follow through.

In my M14's I use a dry fire device which has a short reset so I don't have to rack the bolt all the way.(fulton armory)

On my SR-25 I use an Action Proving Dummy from Brownells.

I either use a turner sling or Tactical Intervention Sling. I also practice hasty sling drills with both.