• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing School me on stock refinishing

slm9s

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2008
WA
Lucked into an Anschutz 22mag locally for a song. Unfortunately, the previous owner didn't keep it "mint"...

What are my options as far as stock refinishing? Is this something a guy can do himself, or is it not worth it? What would the ballpark price for a pro to do it?

Thanks.
rs6dmp.jpg

331kklk.jpg

I've redone stocks from unfinished Boyd's to mosins to R700 CDL. I'm sure you can do it yourself if you are at all handy. I absolutely love working with this kind of stuff and restoring beat up items. I just got a new stock and refinished my buddy's great grandpas single shot 410. I put more into the gun than a new 410 is worth but it turned out great and they have a shotgun that will continue to last them for many more generations.

It is a great do it your self project.

First I would start with chemical stripper. Coat it and then use a plastic scrapper to get the majority of the old finish off. With the Chemical stripper use a tooth brush and work it in the checkering. After you do the checkering a couple times mask it off with blue painter tape. You do not want to sand on the checkering.

Then get your self a block and 200, 300, and 400 grit. sandpaper. Sand it with the block to keep the wood flat and smooth. Be careful around the corners, you do not want to round them off. If it has dents you can us a wet towel and a iron to steam them out. It will lift the compressed wood and allow you to get the wood closer to perfect. Once you hit 400 grit and it looks good. I would start the finishing.

Tur Oil in the little bottles you get at the gun store works very well. There are other finishes the work well but I find this to be the easiest to build up a hard surface faster. I do a coat in the am and one in the PM after I get home form work. you want it to be dry before adding the next coat. I use a synthetic steel 00 wool. Regular steel wool leaves dust that can get in the next coat.

I coat it roughly 6 times and let it dry for a day or two and then I will get the block out and re sand it lightly. back to almost bare wood. This helps to fill int he poors of the wood and will make the final finish much smoother. Do another 6 coats and on the last two coats I pull the masking tape off the checking and work in a light coat of finish with another tooth brush. Light coats so you do not fill the checkering with finish. Let dry and do another coat with the final coat of the whole thing. Let dry for a couple days. The finish will harden up over the next 2-7 days.

Willis64 covered it all very nicely.

After initial sanding, I soak the unoiled stock with a coat or two of highly diluted Tru-Oil in Paint thinner to drive the oil deep into the wood, and allow this to cure for a week or so before beginning the actual fill/finishing process

I also tend to take more time between coats, there's a difference between dry and cured. Again, this is just a matter of preference; I find that curing between coats makes for a more durable finish and speeds the final curing.

I use a large cotton bore cleaning patch as an applicator, with a drop or three of the Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. I rub it on and in until it's spread good and thin, then buff the surface with a soft cotton cloth to remove all the unabsorbed Tru-Oil. A few days and the finish is hard and ready for more, if that's what you want. Back in the day. I would do the polishing with the heel of my hand, allowing the heat of friction to better drive the oil deep into the finish; but lately I find that my hand does not like that technique anymore.

The key to a superior finish is that it is in the wood, and not on it. We are toughening up the outer layers of the wood itself, rather than building up a coating atop it. This is the difference between a traditional finish and the more recent slap-it-on, dry it overnight and box it process.

Every two or three coats, I cut it back down to the wood with steel wool to prevent buildup. Special care is taken to prevent rounding off any crisp lines in the stock's styling. Only my my final coat is left uncut; or if it's on a service rifle I leave that last glossy coat off for a satin finish with lower reflectivity.

The reference about the synthetic steel wool is a lesson for me; I learned an important thing from the previous post, thanks plenty.

The main point about an oil finish is that is reparable. Finishes like Urethane and Epoxies need to be completely stripped, they are excessively difficult to do a spot repair without it showing. An oil finish can be spot restored with steel wool and replacement of the removed oil.

Some deeper wounds can be filled with a 'mud' method, that employs 120 grit sandpaper, wet sanded using Tru-Oil for the 'wet'. Sand continuously, adding small portions of Tru-Oil until a puddle of 'mud' consisting of oil and stock material covers the entire wound. Allow this to completely cure, I leave it for a week or so. I then sand it down even with the surrounding area. If the wound is filled, finish it off the same as one would any undamaged spot on the stock. If evidence of the wound is still present, 'remud' and cut it back down after curing with the same 120 grit grade of sandpaper.

Periodically, I do a quick wipe/buff down of the finish with paint thinner, to remove possible oxidation buildup and imbedded dirt. I follow this up with a repetition of the final coat in the finishing process. This renews the finish and keeps it looking optimal. This can be easily accomplished with an oil finish, I've never tried it with other finishing materials.

Greg

Last edited:
I have done about 2 dozen stocks up to this point. some from Richards microfit ( rough ) and some factory stocks. my method is as follows
1- sand the entire stock to remove the old finish
be careful not to round corners or make waves
2- sand more until the stock looks good without finish( usually 320 or 400)
3- tack cloth the heck out of it
4- blast it with dry clean compressed air
5- tack cloth again
then I use minwax wipe on poly in the finish desired gloss ,semi, etc
let it cure for a full 24 hours between coats buffing with steel #0000 steel wool before the next application
keep going for a while using the thinnest coats you can .

hope this helps

Everything has been covered. Only want to add that you have to let the finish dry between coats COMPLETELY. To me, nothing is prettier than several coats of tung oil that has been sanded in followed by some 0000 steel wool for a beautiful finish.