• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors School me on suppressors

Schw15

Longrange
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2019
    Colorado
    So buying my first suppressor and dont know much about them. I know the process as to wait time ect.
    But can you ever sell them?
    Has anyone wore one out?
    Had anyone had issues with direct thread thunderbeast?
    what is the best cover?
    Do you guys keep strings down to 15 and under?
    All new to me and i really appreciate the answers and help. Just trying to get as much info as i can

Side note decided on the thunderbeast ultra 9.

Thunderbeast makes a good can.
    Many of your questions are dependent on the the type of firearm.
    Doing mag dumps with a semi-auto WILL damage a can.
    Excessive heat will damage a titanium can.
    Normal, bolt action use and you may eventually wear one out, but it would take a REALLY long time.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
    So buying my first suppressor and dont know much about them. I know the process as to wait time ect.
    Has anyone wore one out?
    what is the best cover?
    All new to me and i really appreciate the answers and help. Just trying to get as much info as i can

1626367097398.jpeg

Reactions: Lunchbox27
    7mm-300 win mag caliber bolt action hunting and long range shooting to 2100 yards.

Great choice.
    -yes you can sell it, the NFA process has to be repeated
    -wear shouldn’t be a real concern with a bolt gun
    -TB will take care of you if you have any issues
    -ask TB what cover they recommend
    - strings of fire are somewhat subjective as 300nm is going to heat up faster than 308. I would worry more about my barrel than my can unless you are running semi auto

Good luck and enjoy

I like the Col-Tac metal python cover and I would get the Stricta cord option for a big magnum like that.

Here is mine on an Ultra 9

Attachments

• 16263744245247176823411833111060.jpg
      16263744245247176823411833111060.jpg
      475.1 KB · Views: 66
    • 16263744536198739477000194103697.jpg
      16263744536198739477000194103697.jpg
      250.9 KB · Views: 66
    • 16263745269684391220510759251993.jpg
      16263745269684391220510759251993.jpg
      447.5 KB · Views: 69
    Reactions: HenryTheAce
    I'd say get brake attach instead of direct thread, but you can always get it converted pretty easily later on by TBAC.

Armageddon Gear high temp covers are pretty much all I use now, and I strongly recommend them.

I'd say get brake attach instead of direct thread, but you can always get it converted pretty easily later on by TBAC.

Armageddon Gear high temp covers are pretty much all I use now, and I strongly recommend them.
    It's for a precision rifle.
    Brake attached tend to be noticeably less accurate.

Oh man lol i want the precision i shoot to 2100 yards and need accuracy top notch. I have been back and forth between direct thread or the brake or switching over to the new area 419 attachments

All good questions... Asked on the correct website.

Get your barrels threaded ASAP... The back log at gunsmiths could be a longer wait than the wait for the can.

Ultra 9 is a good choice but I would look at the comparison to the new dominus and you may like it better. Also agree that the armegedon gear cover is the best choice especially on a bolt gun application.

Oh man lol i want the precision i shoot to 2100 yards and need accuracy top notch. I have been back and forth between direct thread or the brake or switching over to the new area 419 attachments
    I can tell you my 338 Ultra SR has been accurate to 1620 yds on my 300NM. Have several of TB cans & never had an accuracy issue.
    tried the 338 can on a few other rifles with their SR brake & no accuracy issues. Have other cans from TB that are direct thread no accuracy issues.
    Have 2 Dominus SR cans in jail along with another ultra 338sr. As you can tell I'm not worried about brake or direct thread mounts

Reactions: Schw15
    I can tell you my 338 Ultra SR has been accurate to 1620 yds on my 300NM. Have several of TB cans & never had an accuracy issue.
    tried the 338 can on a few other rifles with their SR brake & no accuracy issues. Have other cans from TB that are direct thread no accuracy issues.
    Have 2 Dominus SR cans in jail along with another ultra 338sr. As you can tell I'm not worried about brake or direct thread mounts
    So really you see no difference I kind of like the drug thread idea cuz I have one gun and I do a multiple Barrel switch system so be easier to take my suppressor on and off when I switch my barrels out

Do you guys usually see a speed loss or speed gain?
    Do i need to rework my loads i already have?

So really you see no difference I kind of like the drug thread idea cuz I have one gun and I do a multiple Barrel switch system so be easier to take my suppressor on and off when I switch my barrels out
    The SR cans are brake mount & i see no difference in inherent accuracy in them versus the direct thread TB cans i have.
    I haven't reworked any of my loads for w/can vs no can but you should test yours. You will see a POI shift with the can on but they have always been minimal & consistent with my TB cans

The SR cans are brake mount & i see no difference in inherent accuracy in them versus the direct thread TB cans i have.
    I haven't reworked any of my loads for w/can vs no can but you should test yours. You will see a POI shift with the can on but they have always been minimal & consistent with my TB cans
    Awesome thank you. I just now need to decide mount or direct

Awesome thank you. I just now need to decide mount or direct
    If you have a skinny ass barrel, then certainly go brake mount so there is enough meat to secure the can.
    The smallest muzzle OD i have is 0.9" on any of my precision rifles so direct or brake doesn't matter.
    Look at the specs on TB's website for rating on their cans & if in doubt call them.
    There is bbl length restrictions, caliber, & load restrictions posted on their website & when in doubt call them.

I'm waiting on a Tbac Dominus. I think it'd be worth your time to check it out, since you mentioned hunting and all. It fits between the 7 & 9 for DB ratings but is 6.25" long and is very light weight.

I'm waiting on a Tbac Dominus. I think it'd be worth your time to check it out, since you mentioned hunting and all. It fits between the 7 & 9 for DB ratings but is 6.25" long and is very light weight.
    Yeah i never seen that one. I will look that up. Hunting comes second to the long range stuff for me now. Only thing is of anyone has them close

If you have a skinny ass barrel, then certainly go brake mount so there is enough meat to secure the can.
    The smallest muzzle OD i have is 0.9" on any of my precision rifles so direct or brake doesn't matter.
    Look at the specs on TB's website for rating on their cans & if in doubt call them.
    There is bbl length restrictions, caliber, & load restrictions posted on their website & when in doubt call them.
    My barrels are 1 inch at muzzle on 2 then .775 on another and i think .900 on the other one

Yeah i never seen that one. I will look that up. Hunting comes second to the long range stuff for me now. Only thing is of anyone has them close
    You won't be loosing much noise reduction in light of the over all length you save. All else is equal in my eyes. It's still a Tbac.

You won't be loosing much noise reduction in light of the over all length you save. All else is equal in my eyes. It's still a Tbac.
    I will see if they have any in stock. That is the hard part right now is finding what i want.

My barrels are 1 inch at muzzle on 2 then .775 on another and i think .900 on the other one
    You may already he aware, but a direct thread thunderbeast is the exact same can with the exact same brake as the CB Thunderbeast, they just semi-permanently attach the brake to the can in a direct thread application. This can be reversed by tbac if you choose.

I dont like messing with exposed threads, shoulders, and crowns if i can avoid it. So I’d prefer the CB brake attached to the muzzle all the time. I use the 419 system exclusively though, which accomplishes the same thing, and has a few other features, including less cost depending on how many guns need to be outfitted.

You may already he aware, but a direct thread thunderbeast is the exact same can with the exact same brake as the CB Thunderbeast, they just semi-permanently attach the brake to the can in a direct thread application. This can be reversed by tbac if you choose.

I dont like messing with exposed threads, shoulders, and crowns if i can avoid it. So I’d prefer the CB brake attached to the muzzle all the time. I use the 419 system exclusively though, which accomplishes the same thing, and has a few other features, including less cost depending on how many guns need to be outfitted.
    Im looking hard at the area 419 system seems quick and easy. Do you just torque or loctite the attachment to the barrel threads?

You should at least look at the SiCo 36M suppressors.
    Rated for all the big 30 and 338 Mags but can be used on everything below that.

You should not see any accuracy difference between a quick detach/brake mount and direct thread.
    We used to preach direct thread only for precision bolt guns but the new systems have gotten so good that there is nothing given up for accuracy.

This and the fact that we have seen accurate rifles suddenly turn into squirrels when a direct thread setup wasn't being monitored and come slightly loose has driven me to endorse the SiCo and TBA systems with brake or flash hider mounts.

TAB Gear also makes excellent suppressor covers.

You are in a great place as a consumer with so many excellent choices.

./

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
    Not with TBAC it isn't. Their attachment system is very repeatable and will make it easier to move between rifles with different muzzle threads.
    Exactly! Also the shoulder on the brake offers more surface area contact which helps keep it from loosening. Every time you screw it on you are mating TBAC threads to TBAC threads which is a good thing.

I will prolly run there brake or area 419 depending on easy for 3 to 4 barrels switching them

Comparison to what? Sorry
    Compare the specs on TB website between the ultra9 and the dominus. What I was basically saying is I think you’ll find the dominus to be the better choice. Size, weight and decibel reduction. The dominus is probably the better choice IMO

Compare the specs on TB website between the ultra9 and the dominus. What I was basically saying is I think you’ll find the dominus to be the better choice. Size, weight and decibel reduction. The dominus is probably the better choice IMO
    I misread that and didn't even know they had that one. I looked them up yes they seem like a great one going to see if they have any

Torque and locktite to the barrel threads. Then the 419 suppressor adapter gets screwed into the can.
    What is the torque specs? Red or blue? I was hoping you could just buy one and switch it around but the sounds need 1 for each barrel still cheaper though.

Has anyone wore one out?
    what is the best cover?

Make sure it wasn't one of the TBAC cans that was affected by the recall... Some of those guys are having to resubmit Form 4's and get all new cans because they were so bad.

Not talking smack about TBAC, they're great cans, just something to watch out for. Also, their threads are propriety, so you don't have but 1 mounting option...TBAC, which you will learn as you get more into cans, that is kind of a pisser...Modularity and customization is king. I prefer rifle cans that are threaded 1.375x24 so they can accept just about any brand mounting option on the market. I prefer the Dead Air KeyMo system, but some folks like other brands...To each, his own. But they all use the same 1.375x24 thread pitch, so you can interchange them. Other than those 2 things, TBAC is a great company and a great can. Just wanted to make you aware of the pros and cons. Nothing is ever flaw-free. I have 4 Dead Air cans and a Rugged Obsidian 45, and some folks talk crap about Dead Air because of the few QC issues they had in the distant past when their cans were being made by different company than who is making them now. Since they have been using KGM Technologies, their QC has gone WAY up. But anything man-made can have flaws or a lemon can escape occasionally.

All I'm saying is, do your homework. Don't just say, "everyone on reddit said buy a TBAC, so I did..." Really study this stuff so you can make an informed choice. Because you're going to be waiting on that choice for 7-9 months, and then have to live with it. Unless you want to sell it, and then have to wait another 7-9 months on another one. I don't know about you, but I prefer not to have that much money sitting out in limbo at once. 😂

It's for a precision rifle.
    Brake attached tend to be noticeably less accurate.
    You've never used a Dead Air KeyMo setup then... Repeatable POI every single time. Even swapping the can from my AR to my bolt-action.

Make sure it wasn't one of the TBAC cans that was affected by the recall... Some of those guys are having to resubmit Form 4's and get all new cans because they were so bad.

Not talking smack about TBAC, they're great cans, just something to watch out for. Also, their threads are propriety, so you don't have but 1 mounting option...TBAC, which you will learn as you get more into cans, that is kind of a pisser...Modularity and customization is king. I prefer rifle cans that are threaded 1.375x24 so they can accept just about any brand mounting option on the market. I prefer the Dead Air KeyMo system, but some folks like other brands...To each, his own. But they all use the same 1.375x24 thread pitch, so you can interchange them. Other than those 2 things, TBAC is a great company and a great can. Just wanted to make you aware of the pros and cons. Nothing is ever flaw-free. I have 4 Dead Air cans and a Rugged Obsidian 45, and some folks talk crap about Dead Air because of the few QC issues they had in the distant past when their cans were being made by different company than who is making them now. Since they have been using KGM Technologies, their QC has gone WAY up. But anything man-made can have flaws or a lemon can escape occasionally.

All I'm saying is, do your homework. Don't just say, "everyone on reddit said buy a TBAC, so I did..." Really study this stuff so you can make an informed choice. Because you're going to be waiting on that choice for 7-9 months, and then have to live with it. Unless you want to sell it, and then have to wait another 7-9 months on another one. I don't know about you, but I prefer not to have that much money sitting out in limbo at once. 😂
    I guess i need to see which ones were on recall. Ive read and called 3 or so places they all have pointed me to the ultra 9 as most here to. But im trying to buy once and get it over with. Area 419 makes a mounting deal for the thunderbeast now as well

Reactions: FuhQ
    Another couple of awesome precision and bolt-action rifle cans...

What is the torque specs? Red or blue? I was hoping you could just buy one and switch it around but the sounds need 1 for each barrel still cheaper though.
    Thats the thing, they're only $40 each, not $135. Buy a handful of them. I do 15 ft/lbs with blue. Never had one back off. Instructions say 25 ft/lbs I believe.

Thats the thing, they're only $40 each, not $135. Buy a handful of them. I do 15 ft/lbs with blue. Never had one back off. Instructions say 25 ft/lbs I believe.
    Do they come with a wrench? Or do you just use a socket and torque wrench? That seems easy enough

Do they come with a wrench? Or do you just use a socket and torque wrench? That seems easy enough
    The snout of the universal adapter(the barrel side adapter) has a 5/8” hex, so use a regular torque wrench and socket.

The suppressor adapter comes with a wrench.

The snout of the universal adapter(the barrel side adapter) has a 5/8” hex, so use a regular torque wrench and socket.

The suppressor adapter comes with a wrench.
    Awesome thank you for the great info and help that seems like the best route for me with a switch barrel setup

Huh???

False. Of the affected Gen2 batches, the ones that fail the test, which is a very very small percentage of them, are repaired retaining the serial # part if there is a Form 4 submitted, which does not affect any pending paperwork. Otherwise if there is no Form 4 filed, we just replace it with a new one to the dealer.

Awesome thank you for the great info and help that seems like the best route for me with a switch barrel setup
    There is some bad info in this thread regarding Thunder Beast cans. I have been running their cans for many years and there are many reasons to put them high on your consideration list. In the end, base your decision on facts and your list of “needs” and “wants” not rumors and hyperbole.

As for their recalls, as far as I am concerned they have solidified my faith in TBAC products. Recalls happen. How they are handled shows you very clearly the kind of people you are giving your hard earned money to. TBACs handling of recalls set the bar very high......

T
    False. Of the affected Gen2 batches, the ones that fail the test, which is a very very small percentage of them, are repaired retaining the serial # part if there is a Form 4 submitted, which does not affect any pending paperwork. Otherwise if there is no Form 4 filed, we just replace it with a new one to the dealer.
    Tbac guy i take it you are thunderbeast or have tight relations?

Reactions: stefan73