• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

School me on tripods!

highlighter

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2012
Just bought my first spotting scope and I don't have a clue about what to look for in a tripod! I have two tripods already for camcorders and cameras already and both would do the job at the range under light usage but what about a tripod that will stand up to hard use in the field? What do the pros (snipers) use?

Thanks.

Just bought my first spotting scope and I don't have a clue about what to look for in a tripod! I have two tripods already for camcorders and cameras already and both would do the job at the range under light usage but what about a tripod that will stand up to hard use in the field? What do the pros (snipers) use?

Thanks.

Well do you want a compact model like the Marines use with the micro tilt head or what because I got one for about 30 or 40 dollars brand new and its great,

john

Well do you want a compact model like the Marines use with the micro tilt head or what because I got one for about 30 or 40 dollars brand new and its great,

john

Link please? I really don't know what I want yet. Exploring all options.

Check out the tripods from Outdoorsmans - they aren't cheap but they are excellent. And they have multiple sizes and multiple options for heads.

Smooth ball head that can hold weight, make micro/smooth adjustments, stable/strong legs, as light in weight as possible, strong materials, ease of use...all criteria for the pros using any kind of film or photography equipment. Criteria, in my opinion, is all the same for precision shooting or spotting.

That being said, I see a lot of the pros using Gitzo and Manfrotto tripods. SLIK is also another intermediate-level brand that is used alot.

Depends on what you want it to do. I took a full size tripod with 3 sections per leg, 3 way pan and tilt head - cut the last leg section down, cut the head section a bit and sized it to what I wanted. B/c it is a 'full size' tripod, it is stable enough to shoot off of (I made a cradle with a QD shoe to attach to the head). B/c I cut the center post, it goes low enough to flatten the legs out, flop the head over and use it prone. It is also still tall enough to use while standing for observation (I am 6'2"). It is a little bigger (straps to the side of a ruck), and it is a little heavier - but it does a little bit of everything.

i bought a lower / middle of the road Vanguard Products

Check with Cameraland or one of the other New York camera stores. Bogan makes a huge selection of sturdy camera tripods. Package deals are available.

Slik Sprint Pro is what I use...but mine is for hunting, mainly. Couple it with a good pan/ball head and you'll be lovin' it. They're super affordable.
null_zps3707487b.jpg

I have a nice carbon fiber one. It's light. I would swing by a potographymstore and see what they have

Just completed order for DAS Tactical Tripod "Standard Tactical Package" $339.. Dave threw in a collet head, extra 6" rod and free shipping for MIL/LE customers! Top notch CS, I think he responded to my initial email within 5min and had a quote to me directly after that. If their product is on par with their CS I will be very happy, below is his contact info if your interested.

Dave Saulibio
DAS Tactical Tripod
CompanyPhone: 509-999-2982
Desk: 509-467-9000
Colbert (Spokane), Washington
Website: Sniper Ops Tactical Tripod with Leupold M4: Good All-Day Prone

Just completed order for DAS Tactical Tripod "Standard Tactical Package" $339.. Dave threw in a collet head, extra 6" rod and free shipping for MIL/LE customers! Top notch CS, I think he responded to my initial email within 5min and had a quote to me directly after that. If their product is on par with their CS I will be very happy, below is his contact info if your interested.

Dave Saulibio
DAS Tactical Tripod
CompanyPhone: 509-999-2982
Desk: 509-467-9000
Colbert (Spokane), Washington
Website: Sniper Ops Tactical Tripod with Leupold M4: Good All-Day Prone

I Like that tripod with the Bushnell Elite, (copy of the MK 4) I have tried to buy one but they dont make it anymore and they were less than 1/2 the price of the MK4,

John

Theses were the four most used tripod models in my old Scout Sniper platoon.

•Manfrotto 055XPROB Aluminum
•Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 Carbon Fiber
•Manfrotto 190XPROB Aluminum
•Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 Carbon Fiber

We also had a bunch of Gitzo tripods and some super small tripod models. They were rarely used on missions overseas though.

I've got a Manfrotto 055XPROB, and agree with others that while it definitely gets the job done, it's pretty damn heavy. I'm curious if anyone has experience with this as a lighter option:

DCLW Tripods

I spent a little extra since I use it for work and at home. Manfrotto while expensive, is some of the best. I got the Neotect 458B tripod because of the quick adjustment.
Neotec Pro Photo Tripod 458B - Neotec | Manfrotto

For the head, I went with the 468MRRC2. It's very sturdy and easy to adjust for big changes or minute adjustments.
Hydrostatic Ball Head W/RC2 Rapid Connect Plate (200PL-14) 468MGRC2 - Hydrostatic | Manfrotto

These are very expensive but don't let the MSRP price scare you. You can find it used or new on ebay for half the price. I got both pieces from sellers on ebay for about 50% off the regular pricing so it was worth it. Depending on you rneeds, the PRS tripods are really good. I just wanted the ability to make fast adjustments to set up the spotting scope or shooting platform for work, which also works great for hunting.