• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision School me up on the PVS-9 KN203 SIMRAD NV clip on scope

paramil

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2011
No experience with these. I would like to know things like value of a new one, picture quality, water resistance, ease of use, issues mounting to any objective larger than 40mm and generally anything that someone considering getting one should know. I look to you all for your superior knowledge.

I am not finding a whole lot online about the KN203, just the KN200 and 250 units. Thanks

I have one. The image is spectacular. compared to a pvs-27 I think it is better simply due to its giant lens and light gathering ability. It easily holds its own. It is big and bulky but once you're passed that it absolutely rocks. I have had no zero or poi shift from mine once it is bore sighted. It repeats perfectly. I have shot it out to 1000yd many times. Water resistance is of little concern. It's a combat optic designed for use in combat environments. I have mine mounted to a 50+mm objective and its fine. No issues.

As For value, it's worth whatever you will pay for one. Most go for $3k on up. If it is indeed brand new could be high as $7k. Just depends.

I have one. The image is spectacular. compared to a pvs-27 I think it is better simply due to its giant lens and light gathering ability. It easily holds its own. It is big and bulky but once you're passed that it absolutely rocks. I have had no zero or poi shift from mine once it is bore sighted. It repeats perfectly. I have shot it out to 1000yd many times. Water resistance is of little concern. It's a combat optic designed for use in combat environments. I have mine mounted to a 50+mm objective and its fine. No issues.

As For value, it's worth whatever you will pay for one. Most go for $3k on up. If it is indeed brand new could be high as $7k. Just depends.

Bore sighted? I was under the impression it just mounts up the day optic? Wouldn't it automatically be zeroed if your day scope is zeroed?

The 203 has a field adjustable boresight. The Simrad mounts to the Simrad cap on your scope ring. The units design puts it above the line of sight of the scope. If you end up with one just read the manual or hit me up and I will walk you through it. It's easy.

OK I think I get it, anyone have any "through the scope" pics when utilizing the SIMRAD? You can still see your crosshairs through the SIMRAD right? There really is very little online about this unit.

Last edited:
How does this unit match up to say the more in line optics like the PVS-22/27?

My Simrad looked better to my eye beside the pvs-27 I tried it with. That's all subjective to ones perception and obviously the tube as no two tubes are the same. That said this is with my dmr and fence is 275yards if I remember right.

I was issued one that was brand new when we deployed to Iraq way back in '04, that thing was amazing! Never left base without it, and the one time it fell off a table in a hide site, both the Simrad and Unertl held perfect zeros, super tough unit! I would take one again in a heartbeat!

Reactions: Emmersom Biggens
My first issued nvd for a long gun was a PVS-10....I would have traded you for a 9 any day of the week.

Reactions: brettb614
Not open on Sundays, so I left a price quote message for them with my gov. creds. See what happens.

I spoke with SPA last week and they indeed will sell you one. The price for a new one was 11,500 give or take a bit. When they have used ones they run 2500-5000, depending on options.

Been a couple months getting this kn203fab ready. Killswitch told me don't get discouraged when you get this devise "its big, but a big performer". And is it ever!

Last edited:

Been a couple months getting this kn203fab ready. Killswitch told me don't get discouraged when you get this devise "its big, but a big performer". And is it ever!

Is the image affected by the NVD not being perfectly lined up with the day optic?

no, but the simrad cap is designed as such that the alignment cannot really be off much. it works great. dont let your analysis paralysis keep from one if you can buy it right. if you're looking for a rail mounted more compact unit like a pvs-22 go ahead and get one.

Simrad

no, but the simrad cap is designed as such that the alignment cannot really be off much. it works great. dont let your analysis paralysis keep from one if you can buy it right. if you're looking for a rail mounted more compact unit like a pvs-22 go ahead and get one.

I have one I picked up in trade not long ago. Not as heavy as it looks, especially off a rest or bipod or whatever. Wondered if the forward cap in front of the prism is for day viewing and wondered if they make different size lens caps. Mine is missing the badger mount. They run about 180 bucks. Anybody got a TM? Byt he way I might be "persuaded" to part with mine for the right price or equivalent trade.......First time posting by the way but been creeping around on here for years. Lots of good info.....11B by trade...My main interests are sporterized military rifles like Mausers and Springfields and such.......Nice to meet ya'll.

Last edited:
Yes, that cap is for using standard day optic. You can also use it to confirm your boresight at dusk by matching the two images. I have a manual for mine. Not sure if spa will part with one or not. I can scan mine if need be and you're not in a hurry.

Yes, that cap is for using standard day optic. You can also use it to confirm your boresight at dusk by matching the two images. I have a manual for mine. Not sure if spa will part with one or not. I can scan mine if need be and you're not in a hurry.

I would surely appreciate that sir....

Is the image affected by the NVD not being perfectly lined up with the day optic?

You basically boresight the simrad (it has adjustments) so the impact is off at 100yds by the distance difference between the center-lines of the 2 optics (Varies by model)2-4" or so. At that point you basically add that distance back to your daytime dope and shazam you are hitting the target. Its marginally a bit more work to get it setup, but once you do its good to go.