• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope $200 to 300 range

tielir999

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2006
Nebraska/Maryland
I am looking for a scope to put on a Remington 700 SPS in .308 for the primary use of deer hunting. The typical range that I will be shooting is between 100 to 200 yards. I know very little about scopes and am looking for advice on what the best scopes are in this price range. I know that I need to spend more money for a real good scope but I am looking for a starter scope for my rifle. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Scope $200 to 300 range

My brother has an SWFA fixed 10x scope on his bull barrel .308 model 700. It's clear, reliable, simple, and accurate. For $300 I doubt you could beat it.

You don't want a fixed 10x for deer hunting at 100-200 yds.
A new Leupold VXI 3-9x40 is about indestructible, fits your budget and has good resale. A used VXII is possible also..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DHBWA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't want a fixed 10x for deer hunting at 100-200 yds.</div></div>Why not?

If I was hunting them in Nebraska I probably would.

I wouldn't use a fixed 10x for deer hunting either. IMO the Burris Fullfield II is one of the best choices in that price range. For $400 you can step up to the Conquest which would be my next choice.

If you can wait and are willing to spend $100 more then get the 5-15 vortex from midway they will run a sale again with them for $400 within the next year for sure. Otherwise the weaver tactical 3-9 or the SS scopes and the Bushnell 10x tactical are the way to go. If you don't need a mil dot then the Minox scopes are great and can be had in that price range.

there's alot available as a deer hunting scope in that price range.

usually a simple 30/30 reticle is good as it's simple.

for something with a little more trinkets / gizmos and upgrade in reticle, millet TRS or weaver tactical

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/598484/...t-reticle-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/740823/...r-reticle-matte

for the deer woods whether it's nebraska or new jersey, the 3-9 or 4-16 range is the way to go, close shots the lower end of magnification doesn't get you just an eyeful of fur, for longer shots you have the higher magnification with the added benefit of zooming in / checking out your game before you fire to confirm that it is legal game, and brings in more detail of rack size, etc.

nikon & bushnell offers some good hunting scopes for under 300.00, and leopold does too around 300.00. a leopold is a leopold, probably your best choice for deer glass, keeps it's value.

there are the BDC (bullet drop compensating) reticles out there, although i'd rather dial in rather than holdover, those reticles are useful ---- just make sure you actually practice with them first to confirm that the holdover circles / lines are correct for your ammo / caliber.

replace rimfire with centerfire: Thoughts on picking a scope for a rimfire. scroll down, there's a glossary of optics terms that will give you an idea of what manufacturer's are talking about.

GOOD POST ON OPTICS SELECTION, RETICLES, ETC.

make a pros and cons list of scopes you've searched and it'll narrow things down for you.

for 100 - 200 yards in the deer woods, you don't need to strap on the hubble with all sorts of do dads, it's actually sometimes a detriment. the drop out to 200 from a 100 yard zero isn't that much that you'll need turrts and such for a center shot into vitals.

budget in for scope caps, butler creek or weaver polar caps (see thru, my personal hunting favorite) for misty, rainy, snowy days or for just keeping the lens clean they are worth every penny X 10.

next question is rings, bases, etc.
PICATINNY RAILS, WEAVER BASES, RING CHOICE & SIZES

when checking out scopes, bases, etc keep in mind you may want to do other things with your rifle besides deer hunting, a few "extras" on the same optic you pick for deer can help with target applications, which is why i suggested the TRS and Weaver earlier.

How about a $140 scope that once sold for over $250. Then visit www.natchezss.com and see what Nitrex (by Weaver) TR1 scopes they have left to sell. Basically the Nitrex TR1 is a Weaver Grand Slam, made in same Japanese factory with same optics and internals. Excellent buy on a very decent scope.

Awesome. Thanks all for the good advice. Going to have to head to some of the local stores and get some hands on these scopes and then order one offline as I am sure that's the cheapest way to get them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about the SS 6x, then? Still a great scope, that is a bit more hunt friendly. And you get a great mil based reticle and mil adjustments.
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-6x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53711.aspx </div></div>

Yes that would be great.